Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 10/15/14 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bekcat1 wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Maybe now that Bill "I don't like any players under 5 foot 9" Laimbeer is gone they can give Sammy Prahalis another shot (not like 8 minutes was really a shot to begin with). She's better than any PG in this upcoming draft. Let her compete against Cruz for the starting spot. I'm 100% confident she'd win that battle. Cruz would be a solid backup Smile

Now, I think Prahalis should get another shot at WNBA roster, but I disagree that she is better than any PG coming out of the draft this coming season.

Who pray tell? Boyd? Hrynko? Massengale? Orrange? No way. If Sammy was coming out of this draft, she'd be the top point guard, no question.

PostPosted: 10/15/14 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
bekcat1 wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Maybe now that Bill "I don't like any players under 5 foot 9" Laimbeer is gone they can give Sammy Prahalis another shot (not like 8 minutes was really a shot to begin with). She's better than any PG in this upcoming draft. Let her compete against Cruz for the starting spot. I'm 100% confident she'd win that battle. Cruz would be a solid backup Smile

Now, I think Prahalis should get another shot at WNBA roster, but I disagree that she is better than any PG coming out of the draft this coming season.

Who pray tell? Boyd? Hrynko? Massengale? Orrange? No way. If Sammy was coming out of this draft, she'd be the top point guard, no question.

Jet, I just love your enthusiasm for Sammy. I like her, too...hated that Atlanta cut her (it seemed like Cooper really didn't want to, but had just too many PGs). I guess this could be a conversation we can continue as the WCBB season starts. But I will say this...if Ariel Massengale has the kind of season her senior year that she was having before she got injured last season, she should be the top PG in the draft IMO. The rest, well, we will just have to see.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 10/15/14 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bekcat1 wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
bekcat1 wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

Jet, I just love your enthusiasm for Sammy. I like her, too...hated that Atlanta cut her (it seemed like Cooper really didn't want to, but had just too many PGs). I guess this could be a conversation we can continue as the WCBB season starts. But I will say this...if Ariel Massengale has the kind of season her senior year that she was having before she got injured last season, she should be the top PG in the draft IMO. The rest, well, we will just have to see.

Haha, thanks, and you're dead on about Atlanta. But I don't want to make this a Prahalis discussion because people get mad at me on here. LOL. But, most project Boyd as the top PG, but we'll see. I like Massengale too. I think Banham could be a decent PG too, but she's played more the 2 or combo in college.

PostPosted: 10/15/14 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd have no problem with Sammy P getting another look. Give her a whole camp see what she can do. Back up PG spot is open for sure. If Cruz doesn't return we're really thin at the 1, especially if we don't want Cappie playing there. The only other option I see for NY at the 1 right now are N. Lacy, bring back Mitchell, convert Sugar or Essence, or our 2nd round draft pick which could be Masengale or Orrange, so If Sammy can win her way back onto the team, I'd be cool with that.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/15/14 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a mess. At least you had a plan and philosophy in place before. Hopefully they find someone competent enough to implement a long-term plan.

I'm disgusted. There's things about Laimbeer I didn't even necessarily like. But two years of a complete overhaul in philosophy and personnel...and this is what we get. A 5th coach in seven years.

I know people didn't like the guy but to me at the end of the day continuity is very, very important. Teams don't win with this nonsense every two years. I think when it comes to fans the expectation is that winning should be almost robotic. These are still human beings. Like us in everyday life, it's got to be harder to respond to constant change. When you consider that Laimbeer's year 2 offensive system was somewhat different from year 1, you're talking 4 offensive systems in 5 years.

And it's a team built on post play and physicality and athleticism over basketball fundamentals. This team is not for every coach. Luckily, it seems to me there are several functional candidates who can work well with the current personnel. I just hope whoever it is will be given some time. Let's face it, a new coach/GM is not likely to move our 2016 first round pick. So it's either Cappie and Carson get healthy or we are likely in for a worse season than this one. And that's not even accounting for if Cruz comes back or if she is wanted by a new coach. It sounds like she wants to, but who knows if she will fit in with whatever the new philosophy is.

The problem is, if Cappie is at all healthier this is probably a .500 team or so. If Carson is healthy also maybe you're talking a bit over .500 without a change at the 4 spot. Not bad enough for Stewart. Not good enough to seriously contend. Status quo. Exactly what we do not want. In this scenario it would actually benefit the Liberty long term to not have Cappie and Carson in 2015, in all honesty. It's sad to think that way and I do not in any way wish for that. I'm just stating the obvious.

PostPosted: 10/15/14 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If FLB wants to come back, I suspect it will be to a West Coast team.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/16/14 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I know people didn't like the guy but to me at the end of the day continuity is very, very important. Teams don't win with this nonsense every two years. I think when it comes to fans the expectation is that winning should be almost robotic. These are still human beings. Like us in everyday life, it's got to be harder to respond to constant change. When you consider that Laimbeer's year 2 offensive system was somewhat different from year 1, you're talking 4 offensive systems in 5 years.

This is right on. Continuity is incredibly important, though obviously so are a lot of other things. From the simple stuff like terminology and out-of-bounds to the complex process of building a team concept, it helps -- a lot -- to be on the same path for several years.

PostPosted: 10/16/14 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill Laimbeer not done yet in WNBA

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/11713896/bill-laimbeer-hopes-another-wnba-shot

Quote:
He didn't sound perturbed by the Liberty's decision, and said if he does coach again, he expects it will be in the WNBA.

"I enjoy coaching, and I think I know the women's league very well," Laimbeer told espnW on Thursday. "The men's league is a brutal, brutal, brutal sport. Would I have an opportunity to be a head coach in the men's league? I doubt that, at this point. I think that's passed me by.

"Would I have an opportunity to be an assistant again in the men's league? That's tough. I'm 57. ... To go down that road just to have a job? No, that's not who I am. I enjoy leading, and I think going forward in the coaching ranks, the WNBA is a fine spot for me."

Quote:
But he isn't interested in being only a GM without the coaching component.

"I was talking to some of the old [Detroit] Piston guys about this," Laimbeer said of his former NBA teammates. "The general manager doesn't get to be in the games like coaches do. [Coaches] are part of the action, and that's what's fun. If you can't play anymore, coaching is the next-best thing."

Quote:
"In Detroit, I worked for a private company where I had pretty much carte blanche and there was really only one person involved who I dealt with at that time, Tom Wilson," Laimbeer said of the then-president and CEO of Palace Sports and Entertainment, which owned the Pistons and Shock.

"In a public corporation, it's much different. Especially one that's the magnitude of MSG. They've got a lot of moving pieces. We talked about the direction that we were going, and I think they just chose that they are going to try a different way."

Quote:
The organization had until Oct. 31 to exercise an option year on his contract. So when he hadn't heard from MSG officials for such a long time, did Laimbeer expect that he wouldn't be retained?

"That's where I say, 'Yes and no,'" Laimbeer said, chuckling. "Or, 'No and yes.'"

Quote:
Laimbeer didn't complain about not having more time to put things in place in New York, but said getting a team to championship caliber is more difficult now than it was when he first joined the Shock more than a decade ago. That's in part, he said, because the Shock had two very good players -- Deanna Nolan and Swin Cash -- in place when he took over in Detroit, but also because the league itself is more challenging.

"Today's WNBA is a quality league; it's tough," Laimbeer said. "Every team is prepared, has a lot more talent, and is better-coached these days. The coaches and GMs are all sharper.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/17/14 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the article laimbeer said the Liberty were setting themselves up for a lot of cap space this and next season, and could possibly attract free agents. So does anyone know any UFA next season who the Liberty might be able to bring into the fold for a quicker turn around. I know Catch is a free agent, but I can't imagine her leaving Indiana, though Catch in NY would be that immediate kind of fix that could bring NY right back into contention, at least in the east. Who else might be out there that the Liberty can throw some money at? In the restricted ranks does anyone think we could steal D. Adams from SA with a max contract? or Christmas? If we have money to spare Christmas is a big guard/sf who can defend and shoot the 3, is she better than A. Montgomery? if so then it might be worth trying to steal her away from Indy. Still if anyone knows any UFA let us know because that might be the safest way to go.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/17/14 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
In the article laimbeer said the Liberty were setting themselves up for a lot of cap space this and next season, and could possibly attract free agents. So does anyone know any UFA next season who the Liberty might be able to bring into the fold for a quicker turn around. I know Catch is a free agent, but I can't imagine her leaving Indiana, though Catch in NY would be that immediate kind of fix that could bring NY right back into contention, at least in the east. Who else might be out there that the Liberty can throw some money at? In the restricted ranks does anyone think we could steal D. Adams from SA with a max contract? or Christmas? If we have money to spare Christmas is a big guard/sf who can defend and shoot the 3, is she better than A. Montgomery? if so then it might be worth trying to steal her away from Indy. Still if anyone knows any UFA let us know because that might be the safest way to go.

Throw the GM job at Catchings and see if you can lure her into early retirement. It's what she aspires to be, and she's a player rep so she should be familiar with what she needs to know about the job.

redann

PostPosted: 12/04/14 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York Liberty

Mr. Allan Houston.

Is Teresa Weather the new Liberty coach?

Teresa Weatherspoon @Finisher_11 Nov 30

Watching Notre Dame vs Kansas at the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame Women's Challenge at Mohegan Sun Arena.

Kansas - Chelsea Gardner, Asia Boyd, Natalie Knight, and Bunny Williams.

Notre Dame - Loyd Jewell, Wright Markisha, Holloway Whitney, and Cable Madison.

redann

PostPosted: 12/05/14 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers - Betnijah Laney - 24 points and 24 rebounds against North Carolina.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/06/14 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty frustrated by the delay in finding a new coach.

PostPosted: 12/07/14 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

After speaking to Bernert it seems 1 she is acting gm...if not assuming the title full time...she has taken over scouting at the worlds and seems to be looking more for a coach not gm...this was the model under blaze...the team prez wears the gm hat with input from tge coach. Blaze just took fans for granted...bernert knows better from her shock days

Her announcement did mention that Katie smith is locked in as at least an assistant for next year...imho that hurts our marketability to outside coaches...most want to hire their own staff.

She mentioned spoon (to huge applause) and katie...and said she had a few others she couldn't mention...

Im not as concerned as I was going into this event that being said and I told her this I expect the coach in place before free agency begins

Also brought up Mitchell by name which was odd given that her contract was thrown off the books in laimbeers last act

Other news she said schedule is coming out around this Thursday and asg around then so stay tuned its NOT an exact science so id not panic if it comes out the following week

PostPosted: 12/08/14 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laimbeer mentioned the financial aspect when they waived Mitchell and strongly hinted that Mitchell might be back next season at a different price.

Was Bernert the one who had words with Spoon by the bench later in the season? I think you mentioned something along those lines but not sure if I have the facts straight.

Bernert played PG at Siena which probably means she has a good working knowledge of the game. And she has worked in a variety of WNBA positions as an executive including sales and marketing. Knowing nothing else about her besides that and a transcript of an interview of hers, she sounds like an intelligent person if nothing else.

I'd still feel better about it if there was a coach in place and he or she was interacting with players and we had a feel for a plan and a philosophy. In late 2006, Patty Coyle worked extensively with Loree Moore, who had a breakout season in '07 and the Liberty started out 5-0.

My question is, if Spoon is a serious candidate, why not just hire her and that's it? I'd be fine with Spoon as the coach if there's a separate GM, though I wonder if she can coexist with a GM without the strength of her personality getting in the way after awhile. Still, I think she would be an outstanding strategist, and I would also bet if Cruz returns she would drastically improve under Spoon in 2015. Not to mention you would have a faster paced offense that would likely be more quard-oriented. If Bernert is going to be the GM, hey whatever. I don't know her pro or con. But let's get Spoon in there and let's get going.

PostPosted: 12/08/14 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

After speaking to Bernert it seems 1 she is acting gm...if not assuming the title full time...she has taken over scouting at the worlds and seems to be looking more for a coach not gm...this was the model under blaze...the team prez wears the gm hat with input from tge coach. Blaze just took fans for granted...bernert knows better from her shock days

Her announcement did mention that Katie smith is locked in as at least an assistant for next year...imho that hurts our marketability to outside coaches...most want to hire their own staff.

She mentioned spoon (to huge applause) and katie...and said she had a few others she couldn't mention...

Im not as concerned as I was going into this event that being said and I told her this I expect the coach in place before free agency begins

Also brought up Mitchell by name which was odd given that her contract was thrown off the books in laimbeers last act

Other news she said schedule is coming out around this Thursday and asg around then so stay tuned its NOT an exact science so id not panic if it comes out the following week

Would be great to have the schedules on time this year. Last's year's schedule was delayed almost 2 months because of the Sparks' situation. ANd it would be great to know who's hosting the ASG. Seattle?? Indiana?? Minnesota??

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 12/08/14 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The schedule was mostly delayed by the CBA negotiations last year.

PostPosted: 12/09/14 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Laimbeer mentioned the financial aspect when they waived Mitchell and strongly hinted that Mitchell might be back next season at a different price.

Was Bernert the one who had words with Spoon by the bench later in the season? I think you mentioned something along those lines but not sure if I have the facts straight.

Bernert played PG at Siena which probably means she has a good working knowledge of the game. And she has worked in a variety of WNBA positions as an executive including sales and marketing. Knowing nothing else about her besides that and a transcript of an interview of hers, she sounds like an intelligent person if nothing else.

I'd still feel better about it if there was a coach in place and he or she was interacting with players and we had a feel for a plan and a philosophy. In late 2006, Patty Coyle worked extensively with Loree Moore, who had a breakout season in '07 and the Liberty started out 5-0.

My question is, if Spoon is a serious candidate, why not just hire her and that's it? I'd be fine with Spoon as the coach if there's a separate GM, though I wonder if she can coexist with a GM without the strength of her personality getting in the way after awhile. Still, I think she would be an outstanding strategist, and I would also bet if Cruz returns she would drastically improve under Spoon in 2015. Not to mention you would have a faster paced offense that would likely be more quard-oriented. If Bernert is going to be the GM, hey whatever. I don't know her pro or con. But let's get Spoon in there and let's get going.

I feel the sentiment on spoon and good questions as for bernert yes that was them but it seemed to be resolved by spoon having her seat moved...I think the holdup is if they hire her can they actually fire her of needed good questions and not to be taken lightly

PostPosted: 01/09/15 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So now that things are slightly different but pretty much the same here are a few new/old questions I have for Liberty 2015.

A. Montgomery is RFA do we re-sign her?

My feeling is yes if the contract is affordable because she is really our only player with a consistent 3 point shot, she fits with the Laimbeer philosophy of big guards, and plays defense. NY could do worse than having Montgomery and Carson split the minutes a the SF spot.

If we do not re-sign Montgomery who or what could we get in a sign and trade?

Montgomery because she is a 3 and D player with size at her position is (outside of the 2016 pick) NY's only realistic trade asset that could get something of value in return. I could see a team with cap space being willing to give up a mid to late first round pick for her in 15, particularly if they are a team in win now mode. I'm thinking trading her to Atlanta for the #10 pick, SA for the #9 pick, or Washington for the #8 pick could happen assuming NY would want to get back in the first round.

Outside of youth I don't think any current player we could get in a trade would be much better than simply keeping Alex, players like J. Thomas, A. Herrington, (maybe Wiggins) or S. Johnson come to mind if both teams wanted to go the change of scenery route. I can't really think of any posts or PGs that we could get for her unless they are really deep on another team's bench in which case I'd much rather just keep Montgomery, Goodlett, maybe Tiff Jackson-Jones, Alexader and Mckennith are the sort of players I think that might be made available.

Does Cruz return?

I think bringing back the coach that brought her to the team and made her a starter increases the chance of her returning, so now I'm going to assume she is until I hear otherwise (It seems she kind of made it sound like she was going to return at the end of the season so I'm going back to being hopeful.)

Clearly any talk of the return of Mitchell or NY being a possible landing spot for Prahalis can be put to rest. So who will be NY's back up PG in 2015?

And since we don't have a pick until #16 in the draft and every time someone suggests a player they start to play too well for NY to hope they're still available at #16 (the latest to fall into this catagory is Laney, with Orrange, Hamby and maybe even Stokes being examples of other players now in the top 15 picks that were once a possibility for NY at #16, will laney be the next to escape NY's grasp by climbing up the board) therefor what sleeper pick might still be out there for NY?

And finally who are the FA's NY should be targeting?

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/10/15 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still don't think Montgomery has much trade value. Would someone be happy to have her for free? Yes. But finding athletic defensive players who are weak on the offensive end just isn't that hard. The only thing that distinguishes Alex slightly is that she has some ability to shoot 3's if you're content with light volume. Even in a very weak draft, I doubt anyone gives you a 1st round pick for her.

It's a forgone conclusion that NY gets no help from the 2015 draft. I also doubt that they'll trade the 2016 1st round pick unless they somehow stumble into another favorable situation like last year. Even with two great players at the top of the draft, what would you get for an unknown pick? It's a high risk trade for both sides because no one knows the final draft position, and draft position is everything in 2016. The Liberty will want a lot, but the other team can't give much because they need the Liberty to be bad.

That leaves free agents as the best talent acquisition option. I don't know of too many significant WNBA free agents this winter. Overseas players seem like a better bet. Laimbeer had a minor success with Cruz last season, so maybe he can find some more serviceable players. Apparently, he asked Nolan about Cruz. If Tweety won't play for us, at least she can be useful as a scout. Wink Anyway, I don't see how NY can do any worse than some of the players currently on their roster. Warley-Talbert may be the worst starter at any position in the league. It's almost impossible to not improve over her.

PostPosted: 01/10/15 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I tend to agree that Montgomery's not worth much as a trade chip. Vaguely decent role player, but those kinds of players tend to get similar fill-in replacements or throw-away picks if you can find someone who wants to trade for them.

Last season was a good year for overseas players to try the WNBA, with no major tournament until the Worlds late in the year. 2015 means another EuroBasket Women, which means it could be tougher to get those kinds of players to show up for the WNBA.

PostPosted: 01/10/15 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Spooner, I think you should get the same kind of return value as Minny got for Sugar Rodgers (somebody you consider a keeper?)....a swap of third rounders. Smile

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/10/15 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Hey Spooner, I think you should get the same kind of return value as Minny got for Sugar Rodgers (somebody you consider a keeper?)....a swap of third rounders. Smile

Unrelated but related, Sugar Rodgers is an interesting potential x-factor for New York. I'm not saying it is likely, but it is possible that she takes a big leap forward in year three. She has all the tools, to be a successful two way player and off the bench scorer. Sugar should get decent minutes and will have an opportunity to prove herself. I would be thrilled for both her and the Liberty if she could live up to her potential. She'll have to work on her shot selection and get her percentages up but other players have developed in year 3 or 4 in the league and she has the raw skill set to be a very good player with the right adjustments.

On another note while I see what people are saying about A. Montgomery I think she would be a great piece for a team like Atlanta to back up McCoughtry, or a 3 and d player to come in at SF for LA, or SA, or Washington, or Chicago, I doubt any of those teams could find someone better in the draft or on the wire, maybe they wouldn't want to pay or trade for her, but I think she would be a welcome addition to a lot of teams. A decent role player who can shoot the 3 and defend I think still has some value. I guess not enough to get anything better or similar in return, in which case I hope she can be resigned by New York, but I believe she has more value than others seem to think. IMO Montgomery as a key bench reserve on a good team would be a nice piece to have.

On another unrelated note I've always liked Chelsea Hopkins and she is killing it right now (granted in Isreal) over seas on the same team as Essence Carson (who is doing well and playing starters minutes which is good to see) I wouldn't mind if Hopkins got an invite to Liberty camp, I'm sure Essence could put in a good word for her.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/16/15 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of Sugar Rodgers, did anybody notice Laimbeer talking about her in the Liberty facebook chat....something like "I expect a breakout year from Sugar". He said the exact same thing about Toni Young last year. Is anybody feeling bad or worried for Sugar?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 01/16/15 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not really because unlike Young, Rodgers is physically strong for her position and she displays mental and physical toughness on the court.

But her needs for improvement are pretty clear. Improve the left hand, get better as a passer, improve the shot. The speed/strength combo is very evident with Rodgers though, and that strength also enables her to shoot from a few feet behind the arc without difficulty.

Laimbeer is prone to hyperbole with some of these players obviously. I'm not counting on or dismissing a breakthrough. But I do think she has much more pro readiness than Young showed last year just on body type and physical ability alone. Like Young, she has upside. She's just closer to showing it than Young was. Whether she reaches it is anyone's guess. But I like Rodgers a lot myself. Anytime a player's D and clutch shooting single-handedly wins you a game as hers did against DC in our OT win last year, you take note.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 01/16/15 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 3 of 41

Jump to: