RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jennifer Boucek likely will be next.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 10/11/14 8:17 pm    ::: Jennifer Boucek likely will be next. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Boucek-has-chance-to-follow-Hammon-s-lead-5817067.php

Quote:
On Aug. 5, Becky Hammon became the first woman hired as a full-time assistant coach in one of the four major North American professional sports when the Spurs announced her addition to Gregg Popovich's staff.

Jennifer Boucek likely will be next.

Associate coach of the WNBA's Seattle Storm, Boucek will spend much of this NBA season as an unofficial assistant on Rick Carlisle's Dallas Mavericks staff.

“Jenny Boucek will be the next (female) NBA assistant coach,” Carlisle declared. “She's the most qualified.”

scullyfu

PostPosted: 10/12/14 6:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

is there anywhere to read this without having to register to their site? i would love for jennyboo to make the jump. Smile

found a link, no registration necessary:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20141004-mavericks-hosting-wnba-associate-head-coach-jenny-boucek-during-training-camp.ece

Last edited by scullyfu on 10/12/14 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 10/12/14 6:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That quote from Carlisle makes it seem like he's just selling the idea and not applying it himself.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/12/14 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jenny Boucek is a very good assistant coach, and she was a pretty good head coach too.

She also might get the next head coach opening in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 10/12/14 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
That quote from Carlisle makes it seem like he's just selling the idea and not applying it himself.

You could take it as "she will be a good employee - for another employer". He should have added "we have no openings".

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/12/14 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

She also might get the next head coach opening in the WNBA.

I think she could be a great coach for the Sparks, she is very knowledge, knows a lot of players and seems to be good a developing good working relationships with her players. I don't know if the Sparks are interested in her or if she is interested in the Sparks, but I think it would certainly be worth taking a look into for the Sparks.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/14/14 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Yeah, it sounds an awful lot like Dan Hughes saying Marion Jones was ready to play in the W even though he was not the least bit interested in signing her in San Antonio.

PostPosted: 10/14/14 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

You could take it as "she will be a good employee - for another employer". He should have added "we have no openings".

It seems like you're saying the same thing.

I'll have to reread the article to see why she's observing if there are no openings. If Carlisle is a friend or connection and she's just learning, we wouldn't necessarily have to hear about any of this. It's most likely about the publicity especially with Hammon cracking the door open. Look at me....I'm wanted and in demand.

I seem to remember some Boucek publicity kicking up last year when there was two WNBA head coach openings.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PhoenixxLily
I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 10/14/14 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i must be the only one not in love with Jenny Boo. kept hearing for years how wonderful she was as assistant and in the past as a head coach (which i never saw. wasn't back to watching the W then). this year i got to see her in a head coach like position when Agler attended his son's graduation. it was awful. the game Seattle played was just horrid and i know it was against Phoenix in a year that Phoenix was dominating everything and Seattle was depleted and trying to remember who they were. but it was still really bad. and it wasn't just players on the court it was the decisions made on the sidelines. i know it was just one game but to me it was clear why she hasn't ever made the jump. convinced it's not just "personal preference". i just can't imagine Jenny as a head coach in the W let alone the NBA

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/14/14 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhoenixxLily wrote:
i must be the only one not in love with Jenny Boo. kept hearing for years how wonderful she was as assistant and in the past as a head coach (which i never saw. wasn't back to watching the W then). this year i got to see her in a head coach like position when Agler attended his son's graduation. it was awful. the game Seattle played was just horrid and i know it was against Phoenix in a year that Phoenix was dominating everything and Seattle was depleted and trying to remember who they were. but it was still really bad. and it wasn't just players on the court it was the decisions made on the sidelines. i know it was just one game but to me it was clear why she hasn't ever made the jump. convinced it's not just "personal preference". i just can't imagine Jenny as a head coach in the W let alone the NBA

There is a big difference in being a head coach with your own team, being an assistant coach, and being an assistant coach stepping in for 1 game for a head coach.

Look at Sandy Brondello, people were saying she shouldn't be a head coach again in the WNBA, and she just coached the Phoenix Mercury to the WNBA title.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/14/14 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

It seems like you're saying the same thing.

I was. I don't think he should have said it since he could hire her if he wanted too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: