Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 09/22/14 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
Just curious, will Katie Smith be back as an assistant coach?

we know where Youth Coach's heart is at! But also when I saw Youth Coach's name as the most recent poster, it reminded me of Swords. She's not really a Lambeer type player but still as a backup to Tina for a few minutes/game she wouldn't be bad. I do see her getting signed somewhere assuming she's back healthy and still wants to play.

I don't know if it would ever happen, but if Swords ended up on the Liberty, I would be overjoyed.
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/22/14 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamby as a junior was already on a par with Natasha Howard... and arguably much more consistent. If Howard went #5 this year, how does Hamby go #16 in a much weaker draft? Unless she takes a big step backward or injures herself, Hamby will be long, long, long, long gone before the Liberty pick.

I've been a supporter of Alex Montgomery since before the 2011 draft. After making some significant strides forward in 2013, I was really looking forward to seeing her take the next step in 2014. Instead, I think she went backward. Don't be fooled by the fact that she was technically 2nd in the league in 3-pt shooting. 28 shots made is less than 1 per game. I just don't see Alex as having much trade value. And isn't she a RFA? Anyone who wants her can probably sign Alex for a big salary. If you're Laimbeer, do you really want to match and carry a 5 ppg wing player at max or near max?

PostPosted: 09/22/14 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Hamby as a junior was already on a par with Natasha Howard... and arguably much more consistent. If Howard went #5 this year, how does Hamby go #16 in a much weaker draft? Unless she takes a big step backward or injures herself, Hamby will be long, long, long, long gone before the Liberty pick.

I wonder how many GMs are aware of her. Wake Forest has not been a good team for a couple of years and they don't get good exposure.

She's talented nonetheless, and could be a strong lottery pick..

PostPosted: 09/22/14 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I wonder how many GMs are aware of her. Wake Forest has not been a good team for a couple of years and they don't get good exposure.

Well crap this is depressing. Granted we're a year out but I haven't seen her name pop on the board or any mock drafts in the 1st round so I kind of thought there was a chance she could go high second round.

Who are some other posts or wings that could be around at #16?

If we're targeting a back up PG at #16 I'm keeping an eye on Amber Orrange this season to see if she fits the bill, though it seems like she might be a little small. And Massengale since we've drafted a Tenn guard the previuos two years this seems possible. Any opinions on either at #16?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/22/14 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Well crap this is depressing. Granted we're a year out but I haven't seen her name pop on the board or any mock drafts in the 1st round so I kind of thought there was a chance she could go high second round.

If we're targeting a back up PG at #16 I'm keeping an eye on Amber Orrange this season to see if she fits the bill, though it seems like she might be a little small. And Massengale since we've drafted a Tenn guard the previuos two years this seems possible. Any opinions on either at #16?

Check out the Mock Draft thread. I believe we were already talking about the NYL. I thought maybe NYL might have a shot at Bradford, but now Dave is talking her up like she's lottery pick. All of a sudden 2015 has turned into a draft with about 6 lottery picks. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/22/14 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Check out the Mock Draft thread. I believe we were already talking about the NYL. I thought maybe NYL might have a shot at Bradford, but now Dave is talking her up like she's lottery pick. All of a sudden 2015 has turned into a draft with about 6 lottery picks. Wink

The Liberty were mentioned but I wouldn't mind someone elaboration on possible players at #16 in this thread. Since the #16 is one of the only realistic things we have to look forward too, until the UFA list comes out. Both Brandford and Hamby were brought up, but now they seem to be out of reach so what other posts or wings should I be watching?

And I've mentioned both Orrange and Massengale a number of time to echoing silence I was hoping someone would say "yeah if they improve their senior year they could be viable back ups in the W" or "Boo they stink".

Shades

PostPosted: 09/22/14 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
root_thing wrote:

The Liberty were mentioned but I wouldn't mind someone elaboration on possible players at #16 in this thread. Since the #16 is one of the only realistic things we have to look forward too, until the UFA list comes out. Both Brandford and Hamby were brought up, but now they seem to be out of reach so what other posts or wings should I be watching?

And I've mentioned both Orrange and Massengale a number of time to echoing silence I was hoping someone would say "yeah if they improve their senior year they could be viable back ups in the W" or "Boo they stink".

Are you in love with the NYL history of guards from Tennessee?
Maybe Lil Bit might still be looking for a job? Smile

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/22/14 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Are you in love with the NYL history of guards from Tennessee?
Maybe Lil Bit might still be looking for a job? Smile

Actually I'm not the biggest fan of the Tenn picks but was thinking maybe third times the charm.

I kind of like Bobbit actually (and Loree Moore) but bringing in someone smaller than Mitchell while hilarious, might be a little too upsetting to the FLB fan-base. And lets face it if any ghosts of tenn players past are going to reappear in NY it will be Hornbuckle.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/23/14 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back to reality approach to 2015

Cruz/N. Lacy
Pondexter/Rodgers
Carson
Pierson/Cash
Charles/Warley-Talbert

Last 3 spots

A. Montgomery RFA (re-sign if we can get her at a reasonable price), #16 pick, UFA, take a look at Gilbreath, Mathies, Foggie, T. Marshall, waiver wire.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/23/14 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Cruz/N. Lacy
Pondexter/Rodgers
Carson
Pierson/Cash
Charles/Warley-Talbert

Last 3 spots

A. Montgomery RFA (re-sign if we can get her at a reasonable price), #16 pick, UFA, take a look at Gilbreath, Mathies, Foggie, T. Marshall, waiver wire.

That makes sense though that power forward spot looks a little old and creaky.

Maybe Laimbeer can make something happen, but it won't be easy.

PostPosted: 09/23/14 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orrange is smart, has a good handle and takes care of the ball really well (has superb assist/TO %), but Stanford has never really played the running game so it's hard to know about speed, and I don't think she has outstanding speed. She is never flashy but there have been times when she has literally been the only ball handler on the floor and still broken presses. Without a dominant post, this may be the year we see some running and more from the guards. Which is why her senior season will be crucial in seeing if/when she goes in the draft. I was surprised to see her listed at 5'7" since she plays 'bigger' than that but obviously if she's 5'7" and doesn't have true speed, it will be difficult for her in the W. Her shooting isn't bad but also not spectacular.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/23/14 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Season Reflection: Anna Cruz

Quote:
How did you enjoy your first year playing in the WNBA?
My experience in the WNBA was good. It’s hard to be here. I play against the best players always and sometimes it is hard. I didn’t expect to play a lot of minutes or to be in the starting five. For me, it was a good experience and I want to say thank you to my teammates and coaches for giving me the confidence.

Quote:
What’s next on your schedule?
I go back to Spain to try out for the national team. After that, I go back to Russia to play for Orenburg. I will play with (WNBA players) DeWanna Bonner, Glory Johnson, and Tameka Johnson.

Quote:
Will you practice your English?
(Laughs) Yes, for sure, I have to. With my teammates I have to speak English everyday. Last year, I took lessons on the Internet and this year I will again. At the beginning, it was difficult. It was hard because sometimes I didn’t understand because they speak fast. Now I understand everything. Now I can talk fast.

http://www.wnba.com/liberty/news/season_reflection_anna_cruz_2014_09_23.html

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/23/14 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Cruz/N. Lacy
Pondexter/Rodgers
Carson
Pierson/Cash
Charles/Warley-Talbert

Last 3 spots

That makes sense though that power forward spot looks a little old and creaky.

Maybe Laimbeer can make something happen, but it won't be easy.

He really doesn't have a lot of options. He already traded his two best assets in Bone and the lotto pick, so unless you think Rodgers/Carson/Montgomery are worth a PF who isn't old and creaky, Laimbeer is in an awfully tough spot.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/23/14 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Basically, you're looking for a sleeper. The problem with looking for a sleeper this early in a weak draft is that anyone who piques your interest can turn into a 1st round candidate. A simply decent player can easily slide upward because very few players right now are viewed as solid 1st round picks. Look at KML. She is considered the most likely overall number one, but she has taken an absolute beating on this board. Meanwhile, Kiah Stokes was being talked about as a possible 1st rounder if she could break into the UConn starting line-up this year. It's pretty wide open -- which is why I think Hamby will go high. She's long, athletic, and she puts up big numbers in a strong conference. That sounds like the closest thing to a safe bet that you'll find in a weak draft.

PostPosted: 10/15/14 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So a couple things does anyone see any possible bigger changes happening to the roster now that there is going to be a new coach?

So let me state with clarity I like Cappie and would like to see her come back healthy and regain her all-star form for next season. I still believe that a Charles/Pondexter one two punch could be very effective next season, especially if we can get some of our vets back healthy (Carson and Pierson), retain our gritty new PG Cruz, get some consistency out of possible new 3rd option Sugar Rodgers and bring in some shooter and bangers. I would also love to bring back Mitchell as a veteran back up PG, shooter and fan favorite off the bench.

With that said I was discussing the possibility of the new regime trying to switch things up and if they were going to try and make a big splash I think Cappie and our 2016 1st round pick are our only viable trade options. So I'm just going to throw out some ideas and see if any sound A) Possible and B) like something NY would want to do and C) something the other team would consider.

I think the Pondexter's fashion/styling business could work in LA and Atlanta so I'm going to start there

Pondexter and NY 1st round pick in 2016 to LA for N. Ogwumike

Allows LA to move Parker back to the 4 full time, Lavender becomes the starting 5. LA gets a third option who can score and bring the ball up the court, a Toliver/Pondexter back court will make it very hard for double teams on the perimeter, and will give Parker a lot of opportunities to dish to shooters on her drives.

NY gets a sick front-court in Charles and Nneka.

Pondexter to Atlanta for Schimmel and the #10 pick

Atlanta gets a shooter and scorer who if they are in win now mode can bring them in to contention for a championship. Angel and Cappie have played together before with success with the option of Dumerc and J. Thomas as PGs on the bench Atl could start Pondexter/Hayes/McCoughtry/Lyttle/De Souza, that team could be sick.

It a huge roll of the dice for NY is Schimmel a future star? if so NY has its new scoring two guard to match with Charles for years to come, in NY Shoni would have the green-light to do her thing, there just aren't enough scoring options to not let her, could she be NY next Becky Hammon? If not she has still proven to be able to play in the W and you can grab a role player with the #10 pick.

Chicago has less of a fashion scene but Cappie has home ties there so if she would be willing to go the obvious but possibly redundant trade would be

Pondexter to Chicago for Prince (this falls under the category of maybe a change of scenery can do both players wonders) Prince is younger so might be a better long term partner with Charles and Cappie if she can except her role as a 3rd option would be great playing off of EDD and Fowles playing next to a true PG like CVS, that could be a move that could bring Chicago to the next level, Prince has been a big time scorer before and on a Liberty team with few scorers would have the green light to do her thing which might be what she needs.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/15/14 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So a couple things does anyone see any possible bigger changes happening to the roster now that there is going to be a new coach?

So let me state with clarity I like Cappie and would like to see her come back healthy and regain her all-star form for next season. I still believe that a Charles/Pondexter one two punch could be very effective next season, especially if we can get some of our vets back healthy (Carson and Pierson), retain our gritty new PG Cruz, get some consistency out of possible new 3rd option Sugar Rodgers and bring in some shooter and bangers. I would also love to bring back Mitchell as a veteran back up PG, shooter and fan favorite off the bench.

With that said I was discussing the possibility of the new regime trying to switch things up and if they were going to try and make a big splash I think Cappie and our 2016 1st round pick are our only viable trade options. So I'm just going to throw out some ideas and see if any sound A) Possible and B) like something NY would want to do and C) something the other team would consider.

I think the Pondexter's fashion/styling business could work in LA and Atlanta so I'm going to start there

Pondexter and NY 1st round pick in 2016 to LA for N. Ogwumike

Allows LA to move Parker back to the 4 full time, Lavender becomes the starting 5. LA gets a third option who can score and bring the ball up the court, a Toliver/Pondexter back court will make it very hard for double teams on the perimeter, and will give Parker a lot of opportunities to dish to shooters on her drives.

NY gets a sick front-court in Charles and Nneka.

Pondexter to Atlanta for Schimmel and the #10 pick

Atlanta gets a shooter and scorer who if they are in win now mode can bring them in to contention for a championship. Angel and Cappie have played together before with success with the option of Dumerc and J. Thomas as PGs on the bench Atl could start Pondexter/Hayes/McCoughtry/Lyttle/De Souza, that team could be sick.

It a huge roll of the dice for NY is Schimmel a future star? if so NY has its new scoring two guard to match with Charles for years to come, in NY Shoni would have the green-light to do her thing, there just aren't enough scoring options to not let her, could she be NY next Becky Hammon? If not she has still proven to be able to play in the W and you can grab a role player with the #10 pick.

Chicago has less of a fashion scene but Cappie has home ties there so if she would be willing to go the obvious but possibly redundant trade would be

Pondexter to Chicago for Prince (this falls under the category of maybe a change of scenery can do both players wonders) Prince is younger so might be a better long term partner with Charles and Cappie if she can except her role as a 3rd option would be great playing off of EDD and Fowles playing next to a true PG like CVS, that could be a move that could bring Chicago to the next level, Prince has been a big time scorer before and on a Liberty team with few scorers would have the green light to do her thing which might be what she needs.

For me, the biggest issue with trading Pondexter is her age and steady recent decline. Now if you believe the decline is all injury-related, and that despite her age and wear-and-tear, that Pondexter can return to elite status (that is, at the level of Taurasi, Whalen, McCoughtry), then maybe you roll the dice and take her in exchange for a top draft pick. But I can't see giving up a young player for her, especially of the caliber of Ogwumike. What if Pondexter just gets worse, which is certainly possible?

Even Prince, a similar player in many ways (though she never reached Pondexter's level in Cappie's prime), is worth more just because she has a much better chance to improve. History strongly suggests that Cappie, at most, has one great year left in her; Prince might have three really good years.

PostPosted: 10/15/14 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Nooooooo thank you.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/15/14 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Nooooooo thank you.

Laughing

PostPosted: 10/15/14 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Nooooooo thank you.

Laughing

Double no thank you

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/15/14 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok message received.

but to be honest I'm shocked that we've come to a point in Cappie's career where people would prefer Prince over her, even with the deterioration I don't think Prince is or will be anywhere near the level of Pondexter (granted I suggested the trade but it was just to gauge where people see Cappie's value at) it kind of reminds me of the Bird vs Diggins conversation in the team USA thread. I am not ready to except a world where people would want Prince over Cappie or Diggins over Bird. I'm getting old, Oh well...

For New York to be a threat again Cappie has to come back and kick ass and continue to adjust her game, better shot selection, greater distribution, etc, but I have faith that if she gets healthy she can do it. T-Spoon might be the perfect coach to get Cappie back on track.

Also since we have a twelve person roster can we please bring back Mitchell, I know she isn't the best player ever, but a shooter and back up PG is still something NY needs, and with laimbeer out, bringing back a player everyone likes couldn't hurt, of course unless she doesn't want to come back or goes elsewhere.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/15/14 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this the same Prince that was covered with treadmarks from all the Sky fans throwing her under the bus in the playoffs? Razz

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 10/15/14 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Is this the same Prince that was covered with treadmarks from all the Sky fans throwing her under the bus in the playoffs? Razz

She is family. Prince was having personal problems that were evident from the beginning of the year. Hoping she will come back next year with a clearer head and is not burnt out from overseas basketball.

But Randy, she is family, she was like a sister that got us mad, but we do not want outside fans to throw her under the bus. Chicago fans were upset with her play this year. But the whole season was frustrating for us. Started with Sylvia, then Prince and then EDD. With some changes made on the bench this team is going to be hard to beat next year.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 10/15/14 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe now that Bill "I don't like any players under 5 foot 9" Laimbeer is gone they can give Sammy Prahalis another shot (not like 8 minutes was really a shot to begin with). She's better than any PG in this upcoming draft. Let her compete against Cruz for the starting spot. I'm 100% confident she'd win that battle. Cruz would be a solid backup Smile

PostPosted: 10/15/14 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Randy wrote:

She is family. Prince was having personal problems that were evident from the beginning of the year. Hoping she will come back next year with a clearer head and is not burnt out from overseas basketball.

But Randy, she is family, she was like a sister that got us mad, but we do not want outside fans to throw her under the bus. Chicago fans were upset with her play this year. But the whole season was frustrating for us. Started with Sylvia, then Prince and then EDD. With some changes made on the bench this team is going to be hard to beat next year.

Prince still has a big upside. She has the potential to be a monster offensively when her head is right, like you mentioned. Pondexter, on the other hand, is on the downside of her career. She may have had a down year or 2, but she's never going to be better than when she was at her best.

PostPosted: 10/15/14 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Maybe now that Bill "I don't like any players under 5 foot 9" Laimbeer is gone they can give Sammy Prahalis another shot (not like 8 minutes was really a shot to begin with). She's better than any PG in this upcoming draft. Let her compete against Cruz for the starting spot. I'm 100% confident she'd win that battle. Cruz would be a solid backup Smile

Now, I think Prahalis should get another shot at WNBA roster, but I disagree that she is better than any PG coming out of the draft this coming season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 2 of 41

Jump to: