RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

'downton abbey' is back! AND 'the good wife'!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 09/21/14 10:29 pm    ::: 'downton abbey' is back! AND 'the good wife'! Reply Reply with quote

double weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Last edited by sambista on 09/22/14 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/22/14 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really? When?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/22/14 2:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really? When?

sambista

PostPosted: 09/22/14 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dunno when it came back. i just downloaded it from eztv.

PostPosted: 09/22/14 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://stream-tv.me/watch-downton-abbey-online/

sambista

PostPosted: 03/02/15 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

two vital reads on nytimes.com today about 'downton.' they just showed season 5 here in brasil, which has some people confused because there are nine episodes. the ninth epi was actually, at least in some corners of the globe, presented as the christmas special. but trust me - if you haven't seen that ninth epi, you'll miss key elements of the story.

so that's what my post is about: don't miss that ninth episode! and read the two pieces in the nyt today. after you've seen epi 9, of course.

PostPosted: 03/02/15 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
two vital reads on nytimes.com today about 'downton.' they just showed season 5 here in brasil, which has some people confused because there are nine episodes. the ninth epi was actually, at least in some corners of the globe, presented as the christmas special. but trust me - if you haven't seen that ninth epi, you'll miss key elements of the story.

so that's what my post is about: don't miss that ninth episode! and read the two pieces in the nyt today. after you've seen epi 9, of course.

That is the same format they use for Dr. Who: 8 episodes and a Christmas Special. And unlike "specials" here in the States, the Christmas Special is typically essential to the plot.

PostPosted: 03/02/15 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't watch the two-hour season finale of Downton last night. After watching two NBA games, Clips beating the Bulls and the incredible Cleveland/Houston game, almost in their entirety, and late... we just didn't have enough serious TV watching left in us. Will watch tonight.

But... we tried to watch The Good Wife. Shocked The show is a sucky ass joke anymore. Period. After The Amerikans, House of Cards, Better Call Saul, Downton... The latest vintage of the Good Wife is unwatchable to me. It started out with a courtroom situation of Colin Sweeney suing a TV show for defamation. Then they put on the stand to testify the actor who played the Colin Sweeney based character in the show. It's Dylan Baker, who plays Colin Sweeney, in a dual role. Shocked But he has a whole Keef Richards fing goin' with a dark brown rock'n'roll wig. Shocked I kept waiting for Alicia to wake up in a cold sweat from a silly dream she was having. That was a farce. This show sucks. I think we're done here.

The new show on ABC in the same time slot... Secrets and Lies... thought I'd see what's up there. OMG... visually stunning right off the bat... WOODEN stupid dialogue and characters and situations... blah! Shocked

Point is, enjoy Downton Abby and any of these shows while their good because good is not a given.

PostPosted: 03/02/15 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

It was a terrific episode, a great ending to the season (although I confess to being tired of the whole Bates family drama. I hope we're done with that).

Tom's asking Mary and Edith to stop and remember Sybil was a tearjerker...

And what a wonderful character Lady Rose has become. Just in time for her to go off to America.

So many great things in this episode.

Barrister15

PostPosted: 03/02/15 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
But... we tried to watch The Good Wife. Shocked The show is a sucky ass joke anymore. Period. After The Amerikans, House of Cards, Better Call Saul, Downton... The latest vintage of the Good Wife is unwatchable to me.

Agree about the Good Wife. It used to be such a good show, what the heck happened? If you like The Americans (we love it -- next to Blacklist, one of my favorites on network tv right now), I'd suggest Allegiance. It's similar to Americans in that both involve Russian spies, but it's set in the present day, with the KGB couple's son a young CIA agent.

Haven't watched Better Call Saul yet -- all the episodes are sitting in our DVR. Waiting for a binge day to get through those. Same with House of Cards.

I'd also recommend The Knick. Set in a hospital in the late 1800s NYC. Could be because I love medical stuff and old New York stuff, but the first season was excellent.

sambista

PostPosted: 03/03/15 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i dunno . . . "good wife" isn't as tight as it was, but i still look forward to watching it. alicia is a wonderful character study, and i'd die for her and diane's wardrobes!

PostPosted: 03/03/15 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've started watching the Good Wife, now that I've realized I can finally stream it. I'll see how it goes in the later seasons. In my experience, binge-watching series often yields greater enjoyment for me than waiting the traditional week (or more) between new episodes. In fact, there are some shows I'll only watch that way (e.g. Justified).

Recently I binge-watched Agent Carter. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Or maybe just enjoyed Hayley Atwell's portrayal of the period so much that nothing else mattered? I mean, whatever. I like that old-fashioned spy stuff. The similarities and differences to today. And the Marvel Universe allows for some fun with technology as well.

I enjoy the Americans too, but I haven't yet watched the Allegiance. It's on my "list".

Has anyone watched "Sirens"? Pretty light comedy. Kind of in the vein of Brooklyn 99, tone-wise? Anyway, I've been amused (though the satire thread reminds me that comedy is very subjective).

PostPosted: 03/03/15 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since this thread has drifted a bit to other shows, I just wanted to say that we've been watching Empire since the very first episode and think it is one of THE best things we've ever seen. Totally new and creative and exceptionally entertaining. Worth watching just for Taraji Henson alone.

norwester

PostPosted: 03/03/15 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Since this thread has drifted a bit to other shows, I just wanted to say that we've been watching Empire since the very first episode and think it is one of THE best things we've ever seen. Totally new and creative and exceptionally entertaining. Worth watching just for Taraji Henson alone.
This show has also been on my "list". I'll have to make a better effort to check it out. I'm pretty sure it's all on Hulu.

PostPosted: 03/03/15 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
This show has also been on my "list". I'll have to make a better effort to check it out. I'm pretty sure it's all on Hulu.

my list, too. my brother feels the same as you, courtside. (though i did have to buy him GoT on disc because he was clueless)

PostPosted: 03/04/15 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone still watching "How to Get Away With Murder"? I confess that I've watched the whole season. I pretty much find all of the characters to be loathsome (except Nate, and I guess not Oliver either, but he's a minor player), yet I can't tear myself away. Shocked

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/04/15 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Anyone still watching "How to Get Away With Murder"? I confess that I've watched the whole season. I pretty much find all of the characters to be loathsome (except Nate, and I guess not Oliver either, but he's a minor player), yet I can't tear myself away. Shocked

No. I just couldn't get into it. So many better shows out there, and not enough time.

Best since it was mentioned earlier: "Better Call Saul"...wow. I actually think that show is significantly better than "Breaking Bad". Just all around incredible writing.

PostPosted: 03/04/15 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

courtside, i see i still have a space in front of your tv. 'how to get away with murder' is going down the path of 'scandal' - implausible but addictive.

PostPosted: 03/05/15 3:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree about Downton--except for the quick-change back and forth of "wait, what? where are we now--the castle or the hall?" The eye-candy of the sets on Downton leave me terribly distracted. I watch the background more than the action. So cool how everything is put together to set the mood.

Also, I'm sorry to say that the Good Wife has me distracted as well. I keep waiting for the demise of Kalinda. It is so annoying. Yet, I'm flummoxed at the candidate taking a million bucks to oppose gays! Isn't her brother gay? She is not in opposition to gay rights why oh why oh why does this political rat trap get garnered into political plot lines?

I have not ventured into new series yet. I have burned too many times with having them cut short with one season of overwhelmingly good plot points and then sizzle out for the remainder seasons. I'll wait for netflix.

I am however looking forward to Broadchurch, Call the Midwife and Orphan Black coming back sooner!

sambista

PostPosted: 03/05/15 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:
Also, I'm sorry to say that the Good Wife has me distracted as well. I keep waiting for the demise of Kalinda. It is so annoying. Yet, I'm flummoxed at the candidate taking a million bucks to oppose gays! Isn't her brother gay? She is not in opposition to gay rights why oh why oh why does this political rat trap get garnered into political plot lines?

i think alicia is gonna change her mind and reject that money. she's already suffering her decision. kalinda . . . oh, i don't see good things for her. she's met her match in the big bad man.

PostPosted: 03/05/15 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

X_____

Poor Oliver, I do find that most of the characters are not root worthy, but hey I figure that might be one of the few realistic aspects about the show lol.

I LOVE Empire, the show is very soapy, but I'm glad they are shedding light on bi-polar disorder. It's something that isn't really discussed in the African-American community and judging by the response, it's opening up a much needed dialogue.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 03/05/15 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
smenko wrote:

i think alicia is gonna change her mind and reject that money. she's already suffering her decision. kalinda . . . oh, i don't see good things for her. she's met her match in the big bad man.

I'm hoping they won't kill her off. I love Bishop
Shocked Now he is a great villain.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 03/05/15 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
smenko wrote:

I think that was one of the worst episodes ever. I think the writers are getting lazy and/or their talent has diminished. Enough of Colin Sweeney, really. Boring and loathsome story lines. And as for Kalinda, they've taken what was one of the best "drawn" characters ever, the strong and fascinating Kalinda of the first season, and over time have turned her into almost nothing. They have no idea what to do with her any longer.

I agree they've made it seem like Alicia is going to change her mind about taking the money from Mr. Bigot, but she sure did fail the strength of character test in a big way. And who needs to see this story line anyway. Blech.

norwester

PostPosted: 03/05/15 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

I kind of find it refreshing that they're all so loathsome. Then I don't need to feel anxiety about their inevitable downfall, or any schadenfreude I may experience I don't feel guilty for. Meanwhile, I'm often delighted by how diobolical or amoral they are. I don't know why this show grabbed me, when usually shows with characters hastening their own demise don't appeal to me.

PostPosted: 03/05/15 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
sambista wrote:
smenko wrote:

I think that was one of the worst episodes ever. I think the writers are getting lazy and/or their talent has diminished. Enough of Colin Sweeney, really. Boring and loathsome story lines. And as for Kalinda, they've taken what was one of the best "drawn" characters ever, the strong and fascinating Kalinda of the first season, and over time have turned her into almost nothing. They have no idea what to do with her any longer.

I agree they've made it seem like Alicia is going to change her mind about taking the money from Mr. Bigot, but she sure did fail the strength of character test in a big way. And who needs to see this story line anyway. Blech.

I agree that this last episode was fairly weak. After they killed off Will I was excited since I thought the weakest parts of the show was the soapy pseudo love triangle between Will and Alicia and her husband. He died and she ended it with her husband (at least privately) and I thought, finally, we can see Alicia grow independently and not have her be defined by her choice of lover. But with all that room to be creative, they just lost it. They immediately introduced Finn and started up some of the same stupid plot all over again.

I love the campaign story line, and think David Hyde Pierce is amazing in his role, and can even give them a little pass for Kalinda since she is leaving the show at the end of this season and that can make writing for her complicated, but everything involving the cases at the firm just seems to fall flat.

Then there is next week. It's going to be one of those gimmicky episodes that I absolutely despise. Supposedly 90% of the show takes place "in Alicia's mind". I do not have high hopes for it.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: