RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chat with Magic and the Sparks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eglowe103

PostPosted: 08/28/14 12:18 pm    ::: Chat with Magic and the Sparks Reply Reply with quote

Insightful interview. http://m.espn.go.com/wnba/story?storyId=11392986&src=desktop&ex_cid=2014_social_ESPNWTDFY14_FacebookM_aqsn

hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/28/14 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
This isn't just some substitute for owning an NBA franchise, however. Johnson's sister Evelyn was a star at South Carolina in the 1980s. During the height of the "Showtime" Lakers era, it wasn't uncommon for Johnson and his teammates to show up at Southern Cal women's games to watch the great Trojan teams with Cheryl Miller, Cynthia Cooper and the McGee twins (Paula and Pam).

This here. ^^^
Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/14 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somebody posted this in another thread and it shows Magic is solidly behind Candace Parker. Forget about the wild Parker trade ideas.

Quote:
Johnson told Parker that the Sparks would be hiring a top-flight coach as soon as this season is over, as well as a new team president. He even asked her opinion of some of the people they are considering.

"I talked to her for like 10-15 minutes the other day and said, 'You tell me what kind of coach we need,'" Johnson said. "We're going to sit down after the season, too.

"Candace has been my favorite [WNBA player] before I even bought this team. Her knowledge of the game and her ability to put the ball on the floor and make a play not only for herself, but for her teammates, is just amazing.

"We'll build around her. I'm going to be like [late Lakers owner] Dr. Jerry Buss was. You listen to your players, you get input, and then you make your own decisions. Dr. Buss let me have plenty of input. I'm taking a page right out of his book."

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Eglowe103

PostPosted: 08/28/14 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone else find it interesting that cp said "I need to win." And we the team needs to win? Or am I reaching?

zune69

PostPosted: 08/28/14 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK,Johnson will listen to Parker's input,but who's gonna tell Parker to get her butt in the post,play defense and stop pretending to be a point guard ?

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/14 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
OK,Johnson will listen to Parker's input,but who's gonna tell Parker to get her butt in the post,play defense and stop pretending to be a point guard ?

Zune, again, you're not listening to Magic.
Quote:
"Her knowledge of the game and her ability to put the ball on the floor and make a play not only for herself, but for her teammates, is just amazing."

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 08/28/14 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Quote:
"Her knowledge of the game and her ability to put the ball on the floor and make a play not only for herself, but for her teammates, is just amazing."

If Candace has this great knowledge of the game,how come at this point in her career she doesn't understand that she needs to play defense to win a championship ? Geno benched her ass at the Olympics for not putting out on defense and laughing after missing a layup.

Martini Man

PostPosted: 08/28/14 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Quote:

If Candace has this great knowledge of the game,how come at this point in her career she doesn't understand that she needs to play defense to win a championship ? Geno benched her ass at the Olympics for not putting out on defense and laughing after missing a layup.

Well, if they are speaking the truth about wanting the best coach to coach the Sparks, there it is. Geno. He's the best womens college basketball coach the world has seen. Get him to coach the Sparks so he can also be the best WNBA / Pro womens basketball coach the world has ever seen. I know he won't leave UConn for the lowly WNBA but it would generate a LOT of buzz and interest in the W. Lol. It's too bad he couldn't do both. Then he could break another record by becoming the only coach in history to win an NCAA championship and a WNBA championship in the same year. Lol

PostPosted: 08/29/14 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

What if Parker plays exactly like Delle Donne does?

zune69

PostPosted: 08/29/14 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
zune69 wrote:

What if Parker plays exactly like Delle Donne does?

Despite the similar skillsets of Parker and Delle Donne(ball handling,passing,shooting the mid-range jumpshot off the dribble)).the strength of their offensive games are polar opposite.EDD is a great 3 point shooter,while Parker can be unstoppable in the post,Outside-in versus inside-out.Futhermore,the sky already have an adequate post option in sylvia Fowles,so there's no urgency for a 2nd dominate post presence.The two best players on the sparks play the same position.It's very difficult to maximize the talent of two players on one team when they occupy the same space.Imo,the only way the sparks will win a title with Parker,is if she becomes the full-time PF(more post-ups),plays defense more consistently and they obtain a decent small forward or big shooting guard(essence carson)

Maybe they can sign Leilani Mitchell and trade for E.Carson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: