RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Staley interviews at Miami

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/07/05 11:43 pm    ::: Staley interviews at Miami Reply Reply with quote

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/11339948.htm

PostPosted: 04/07/05 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find interesting Melanie Balcomb of Vanderbilt is also in the running. I suppose Miami could pay better but is it a step up program wise?
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/08/05 12:38 pm    ::: Vandy/ Miami Reply Reply with quote

Foster left Vanderbilt because Vandy could never compete in recruiting with Tennessee. If Balcomb thinks Miami can do better (better than Vandy, not better than the Vols) and if she puts enough value on high-profile recruits, then the move would make sense.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/05 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm kind of disappointed Dawn is shopping around so much so soon. Isn't this two interviews this offseason already?

I wish she would stay at Temple until Virigina opened up.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/08/05 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm kind of disappointed Dawn is shopping around so much so soon. Isn't this two interviews this offseason already?

Everybody needs a career after bball retirement... makes better sense to do it while your stock is high. Also the more interviews you go to the better you prepare yourself. So soon? Hardly.. if Dawn stays past 2005 it would be suprising. I'm not disappointed and I'm sure Andrea Stinson isn't either... I wonder what she's going to do now Confused Go back in time and interview for jobs probably...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/05 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Everybody needs a career after bball retirement... makes better sense to do it while your stock is high. Also the more interviews you go to the better you prepare yourself. So soon? Hardly.. if Dawn stays past 2005 it would be suprising. I'm not disappointed and I'm sure Andrea Stinson isn't either... I wonder what she's going to do now Confused Go back in time and interview for jobs probably...

What are you talking about this time???

She's got a career outside of the WNBA --- she's head coach at Temple. That is a good job, where her foundation is and where she has worked toward rebuilding Philly. UVa everyone suspects will be where she ends up, ala Roy Williams and UNC. So instead of playing Larry Brown and jumping after one good season, I suggest she stay where she is at Temple for now.

What does Stinson have to do with Staley interviewing for multiple coaching jobs when she already has a good one? I see no connection whatsoever.

Stin-ker? Shocked

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/08/05 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

What are you talking about this time???

She's got a career outside of the WNBA --- she's head coach at Temple. That is a good job, where her foundation is and where she has worked toward rebuilding Philly. UVa everyone suspects will be where she ends up, ala Roy Williams and UNC. So instead of playing Larry Brown and jumping after one good season, I suggest she stay where she is at Temple for now.

I'm sure she considered your opinion and interviewed anyways... I'm sure she knows what's best for her than you. The fact that you're still disappointed is unusual, yes, which is my answer to your question. Idea

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/05 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Admiral_NeedaI'm sure she considered your opinion and interviewed anyways... I'm sure she knows what's best for her than you. The fact that you're still disappointed is unusual, yes, which is my answer to your question. Idea[/quote]

Your snippy comment about her asking my opinion aside, what is unusual about being disappointed that she wants to switch jobs after only a couple of years?

Why would I be disappointed that she'd let down all those kids she just recruited so she can go elsewhere?

Why would it be unusual if I was disappointed that she took a lower level A10 school to a higher level and now may be willing to dump it on the side of the road?

Why would it be unusual to be disappointed when someone professes their love for Philly, where she grew up and has her own foundation to benefit the city, and makes obvious attempts to leave for something other than their "dream job"?

herrade

PostPosted: 04/08/05 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

is it possible that she's just interviewing to bid her salary up at temple?

PostPosted: 04/08/05 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm kind of surprised by Staley's interviewing tour, as well. I think it is fine for her to pursue career options, and I have to think the reason she is on "tour" is that WNBA training camp is on the horizon and she won't have the time to meet with these other programs.

Or, she might want to beat Andrea to the punch on some of these coaching jobs...

Face it...Staley's NO SLACKER!

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/08/05 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Staley interviewed elsewhere, which means that Dawn felt it was in her best interests to do so. Idea Could mean that she doesn't see as much job security in Philly or that she wants to gain interviewing experience or she is trying to get more money out of Temple or whatever. I wouldn't be disappointed in Staley for looking out for herself. The fact that anybody would be is troubling Confused

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/08/05 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:

Or, she might want to beat Andrea to the punch on some of these coaching jobs...

Face it...Staley's NO SLACKER!

What does Stinson have to do with Staley??? Shocked I see no connection whatsoever. Wink

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/05 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Staley interviewed elsewhere, which means that Dawn felt it was in her best interests to do so. Idea Could mean that she doesn't see as much job security in Philly or that she wants to gain interviewing experience or she is trying to get more money out of Temple or whatever. I wouldn't be disappointed in Staley for looking out for herself. The fact that anybody would be is troubling Confused

Incorrectly interpreted and factually inaccurate reply. You make more assumptions in your argument than statement of fact. You have determined her interviewing MEANS that she felt it was in her best interests to do so. Has she discussed this with you lately? She doesn't have an agent that may have put her up to it? Or family? Or friends? Or maybe she's talking to someone to make a friend more appealing? You assume she doesn't see job security or is trying to get more money or "whatever". Your guesses and assumptions are no more factually accurate than mine. Mine being that should she leave she is hurting the school and the people she recruited. You assume because I don't want her to leave the school I don't want her to "look out for herself". This is incorrect, I don't deny her anything. I will say "good things come to those who wait" and Ryan will not be at Virginia for that much longer. ALL are assumptions, and may or may not be correct, which is inherent in the word assumption.

The only "troubling" thing in this post is that you see fit to judge my feelings in your own twisted manner, again.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/08/05 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey...Admiral likes to do analysis.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/08/05 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had a feeling Cam would stick his nose into this discussion... Idea

Wrong again dmts, I'll just leave it at that.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/05 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:

Piece of advice Admiral. An English professor I had many years ago told me the only words never to use in a discussion or what to say to someone - you're wrong. Invariably, there is a level of truth to everything someone says, so by saying someone is "wrong" you are in fact showing that you yourself are in fact incorrectly assessing the situation, are being a buffoon, and you are in fact "wrong" as you put it.

Please, based on your statement that I am "wrong" tell me, so I can correct my miscue, where?

Last edited by dtsnms on 04/08/05 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/08/05 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Piece of advise Admiral. An English professor I had many years ago told me the only words never to use in a discussion or what to say to someone - you're wrong. Invariably, there is a level of truth to everything someone says, so by saying someone is "wrong" you are in fact showing that you yourself are in fact incorrectly assessing the situation, are being a buffoon, and you are in fact "wrong" as you put it.

Please, based on your statement that I am "wrong" tell me, so I can correct my miscue, where?

OK, your spelling of advice as 'advise' is wrong. Invariably that's a fact. I'll just leave it at that. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye. Idea

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/05 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
[
OK, your spelling of advice as 'advise' is wrong. Invariably that's a fact. I'll just leave it at that. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye. Idea

Should you choose to return, that wasn't in my original posting, that you claimed was "wrong", so please, enlighten me oh proofreader on high, what I had posted ORIGINALLY that was "wrong" as you put it?

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/08/05 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

is it possible that she's just interviewing to bid her salary up at temple?

I buy this theory.

Maybe Dawn doesn't want to coach at UVA.

I'm still more interested about the Balcomb aspect of this story though. Maybe Miami has decided to take their WBB program seriously again (like Maryland did?) - I see they have no problems in other college sports. I know they were strong for some period in the 90s but have gradually dropped in the Big East until their move to the ACC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: