25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 28

jap

PostPosted: 07/25/14 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
shrrew wrote:
caune wrote:
The Sparks need a "Mama Taj" to lead them.
Candy P has all the talent in the world but not one ounce of leadership and that's fine, but the organization....I'm looking at you Penny Toler, needs to wake the fuck up, be smart and bring in a smart, savvy vet to be the leader.

No change in leadership will make a difference when you have prima donna players that put themselves before the team. I think this is one of the reason they have gone through coach after coach and good ones too. The players need to look at themselves and say what can I do to make the TEAM better and act accordingly. A coach can not change prima donnas, they can only change themselves.

This whole Parker & leadership thing is just getting overblown, IMO.

It's been overblown for years!

PostPosted: 07/25/14 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems to me that Parker is never at a loss for words. I don't know what she is saying to other players but it seems it is always a situation where something bad happened and she is telling them to either do something differently or don't do what they just did. I assume she is trying to be helpful but maybe the other player doesn't see it that way. The Tankers jumped on them right at the beginning and they never recovered. The Tankers are certainly vastly improved from last year and maybe Brondello is just the coach they need. I'm glad she seems to leave Olaf at home. When they coached by committee at SAS it was a disaster.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/25/14 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
toad455 wrote:
trade Ogwumike for a All-Star SF.

What elite wing is out there to be traded for Ogwumike?

Anyway it makes great sense to trade one of the few players who gives you energy and actually looks like she gives a fuck.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/25/14 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
It seems to me that Parker is never at a loss for words. I don't know what she is saying to other players but it seems it is always a situation where something bad happened and she is telling them to either do something differently or don't do what they just did. I assume she is trying to be helpful but maybe the other player doesn't see it that way. The Tankers jumped on them right at the beginning and they never recovered. The Tankers are certainly vastly improved from last year and maybe Brondello is just the coach they need. I'm glad she seems to leave Olaf at home. When they coached by committee at SAS it was a disaster.

CP3 may well be a source of good advice out there on the court. The problem with that might be that she is a "do what I say, not what I do" type of person. A message to her teammates about where they should have been and what they should have done can start to create eyerolls instead of obedience in return if the player dishing out the advice deviates from the plan so frequently. I can see how that could be frustrating to be a part of.

I liked caune's point about having a respected leader in the group.
I've got enormous respect for Parker's playing ability, and I also don't want to overblow this leadership thing with her. I don't see why the best player has to also be the leader. In her case, maybe she just needs to do her thing without any leadership responsibility, and that is what is going to get the best basketball from her.
But *someone* has to lead. Someone needs to keep the group on the same page.
If such a player is not on the roster already, then put it at the top of the shopping list for next season.

PostPosted: 07/25/14 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK< maybe it's not CP3's leadership that's the problem, maybe it's just the Sparks total lack of leadership for all the years she has been there.

PostPosted: 07/25/14 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You Merc fans are confusing the heck out of me. Wink

Luuuc, your first paragraph, which I think may be spot on, if true, is a problem. Period. Exclamation point. I think you may have nailed it. But then you kind of start loosening the nails in the second paragraph. But I agree with your final point that maybe Parker and the Sparks might be best served if she'd shut up and let her efforts speak volumes to her teammates.

And, caune. Shocked You've been on Parker for years about her leadership. Basically with you it's sign on to Rebkell's, criticize Parker's leadership, praise DT's leadership, go shopping. Or something like that. Wink For what it's worth I'm beginning to become inclined to agree with you that there's a problem.

Also FWIW I remember someone asked Carol Ross at media day prior to her first season who on the Sparks would be the floor leader, or, who did she feel needed to step up and assume a leadership role, and she said she wanted the players to look to her (Ross) only for leadership and that further down the road players could step into a leadership role.

Best thing and what every team should aspire to is being a group that seems to be of one mind out on the court. Lynx. Comets. Storm a few years ago, etc. The Sparks have absolutely personified the opposite of that and for many years. They mysteriously struggled many times during regular season's past. As someone pointed out last night they act and defend like they've never seen the pick and roll before. I think they tuned out Ross a long time ago. Maybe even her first season.

I remember after that year and they lost in the playoffs to Minnesota here in LA Coach Ross got all wistful looking and said as a coach she can emphasize defense to her team but their success is ultimately decided by how much they buy into that themselves. And they obviously never really did.

And then to punctuate her point, in the Finals the Fever defensively harassed and hustled the mighty Lynx into submission.

PostPosted: 07/25/14 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
toad455 wrote:
trade Ogwumike for a All-Star SF.

What elite wing is out there to be traded for Ogwumike?

Anyway it makes great sense to trade one of the few players who gives you energy and actually looks like she gives a fuck.

Agreed.

Parker is just bad on defense. She's very good when it comes to blocking shots with good timing, but when it comes to moving her feet it is just impossible for her. She couldn't even guard a 40 year old Penny Taylor who just came off a major injury. There was another instance where she was defending and just simply quit while her man scored a bucket. I don't know if it's a effort thing or if she really tries so hard but just can't do it. She's a great, great talent on the offensive end but defensively she's like a lost puppy in the middle of nowhere with no collar.

I don't know if I would hit the panic button yet and just move a piece without at least seeing if a competent coach can have some success with Parker, Ogwumike, and Lavender. Then again, if Parker pulls a Tina Charles....

PostPosted: 07/26/14 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
You Merc fans are confusing the heck out of me. Wink

Luuuc, your first paragraph, which I think may be spot on, if true, is a problem. Period. Exclamation point. I think you may have nailed it. But then you kind of start loosening the nails in the second paragraph. But I agree with your final point that maybe Parker and the Sparks might be best served if she'd shut up and let her efforts speak volumes to her teammates.

And, caune. Shocked You've been on Parker for years about her leadership. Basically with you it's sign on to Rebkell's, criticize Parker's leadership, praise DT's leadership, go shopping. Or something like that. Wink For what it's worth I'm beginning to become inclined to agree with you that there's a problem.

Also FWIW I remember someone asked Carol Ross at media day prior to her first season who on the Sparks would be the floor leader, or, who did she feel needed to step up and assume a leadership role, and she said she wanted the players to look to her (Ross) only for leadership and that further down the road players could step into a leadership role.

Best thing and what every team should aspire to is being a group that seems to be of one mind out on the court. Lynx. Comets. Storm a few years ago, etc. The Sparks have absolutely personified the opposite of that and for many years. They mysteriously struggled many times during regular season's past. As someone pointed out last night they act and defend like they've never seen the pick and roll before. I think they tuned out Ross a long time ago. Maybe even her first season.

I remember after that year and they lost in the playoffs to Minnesota here in LA Coach Ross got all wistful looking and said as a coach she can emphasize defense to her team but their success is ultimately decided by how much they buy into that themselves. And they obviously never really did.

And then to punctuate her point, in the Finals the Fever defensively harassed and hustled the mighty Lynx into submission.

But those 3 teams that you mention, the best players on those teams were the leaders. Or maybe better to say the best player on those teams took atleast a leadership role. But in defense of Parker those 3 teams had multiple leaders that were the best if not 2nd best on the team. And with the Sparks you got their 2nd best player in Nneka who doesnt really have a big leadership role IMO or Toliver who you dont want to have as a leader. So the dropoff to Beard as a leader is a pretty big one IMO.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
caune

PostPosted: 07/26/14 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

Laughing Laughing
Wait now, I also have the I hate Sammy part of my personality Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: