RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rizzoli & Isles Season 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norwester

PostPosted: 07/23/14 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to say I'm really impressed with the show this season. Perhaps the bar was set really low and I was only watching for the amusing subtext adn banter, but it feels more like the first season, with a mix of tense moments and anxiety along with the humor. For instance, last night when Frankie was checking in before chasing down that suspect in the dark alley.

The dialogue seems crisper. And the cases are...better. I mean, it's not a crime procedural. But they have a little more meat than the complete fluff that we have usually gotten (with some exceptions, like Maura going to jail) in the past season or so.

And, yes, quite fun to see Susie get more screen time. They haven't followed up with a Frost replacement yet, and it seems like his screen time has been shared by Susie and Frankie. I know that Susie was originally supposed to have more of a part, so it's fun to see that come to fruition.

And since Frankie isn't kissing Maura anymore, and also admitted that he's pursuing a position in BRIC, versus just assuming Frost's seat, it's nice to have him around as well.

PostPosted: 07/23/14 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
I have to say I'm really impressed with the show this season. Perhaps the bar was set really low and I was only watching for the amusing subtext adn banter, but it feels more like the first season, with a mix of tense moments and anxiety along with the humor.

This season is definitely better than last, and except for the possible Maura romantic interest last week (the professor), these last few episodes have been quite good. Really liked it this week; excellent humor and banter. Loved the ending with Vince and the grandson. Loved Susie getting more air time. Dioramas, fabulous! Laughing

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/23/14 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Dioramas, fabulous! Laughing

Totally, especially the watermelons.

Was I the only one who thought of the CSI diorama killer when I saw them? (The dioramas, not the watermelons.)

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/24/14 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dorothy Snarker recap: Exactly to scale

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 07/25/14 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Dorothy Snarker spoiler: http://dorothy-snarker.tumblr.com/day/2014/07/24
Bye-bye, baby.

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/25/14 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Not kidding!

Carol Anne wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Bye-bye, baby.

In fairness, all she's doing is reposting something that the show itself released. I am gobsmacked that they did that.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 07/25/14 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Carol Anne wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Bye-bye, baby.

In fairness, all she's doing is reposting something that the show itself released. I am gobsmacked that they did that.

Me too.

While I was watching this week's episode, I wondered whether this would be how they'll wrap up that story line. Apparently it is . . .

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/25/14 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Carol Anne wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Bye-bye, baby.

Me too.

While I was watching this week's episode, I wondered whether this would be how they'll wrap up that story line. Apparently it is . . .

Okay, this thread is now totally spoiled (unless they are really doing something strange here). I have to admit that I didn't see a good way out of the plot line (and boo to Janet Tamaro for leaving this mess behind to clean up), so it doesn't surprise me, either. I had kind of figured that was the likely end of things for a while. Also, I'm sure a lot of people have noticed that Jane isn't exactly ballooning in size.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 07/25/14 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[YES, WARNING, THIS THREAD IS NOW A SPOILER]

beknighted wrote:
Okay, this thread is now totally spoiled (unless they are really doing something strange here). I have to admit that I didn't see a good way out of the plot line (and boo to Janet Tamaro for leaving this mess behind to clean up), so it doesn't surprise me, either. I had kind of figured that was the likely end of things for a while. Also, I'm sure a lot of people have noticed that Jane isn't exactly ballooning in size.

It seems a cop-out (and a season of manipulation), but there really is no other good way to go as you say. (Perhaps they have released what they did as a tease and we are all wrong?)

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/27/14 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tommy is on Unforgettable tonight!

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/28/14 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

So that can be two shows he makes unwatchable simply by showing up.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/28/14 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Isn't it awful? Being forced to watch something on TV that you obviously dislike so much?

Rolling Eyes

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/29/14 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Isn't it awful? Being forced to watch something on TV that you obviously dislike so much?

Rolling Eyes

I said HE, not the show. When his character shows up, he adds nothing to the show. Much like the mother.
norwester

PostPosted: 07/30/14 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Tommy (and Angela). I think he brings up certain feelings/issues in Jane that no one else can, this whole cop/screw-up juxtaposition, in addition to oldest child/daughter, youngest child/son. He's smart, but makes some bad choices. He's charming, but certainly got the message early on to back off of Maura, and now seems very protective of her (even going so far as to warn Frankie off), which is cute. And if you're going to go subtext, he seems protective of his sister's relationship with Maura.

If you don't care about Rizzoli Family dynamics, though, I can see how a lot of these characters would seem useless. They certainly rarely advance the crime plot.

PostPosted: 07/31/14 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dorothy Snarker recap: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

PostPosted: 07/31/14 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
If you don't care about Rizzoli Family dynamics, though, I can see how a lot of these characters would seem useless. They certainly rarely advance the crime plot.

There are people who watch for the crime plots? I had no idea.

And I swear the writers are intentionally torturing the Rizzles shippers.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/01/14 5:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

See now this week's episode was pretty good if you subtract the stupidity of Rizzoli's mother.

This finding yourself crap is annoying as hell.
norwester

PostPosted: 08/01/14 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
norwester wrote:

There are people who watch for the crime plots? I had no idea.

And I swear the writers are intentionally torturing the Rizzles shippers.

Right? Though the crimes have been a little better this season. As far as not tipping their hand so obviously at the outset. There seems to be a much better/tauter structure overall to episodes, including continuity from one to the next, or references to past seasons' events. It's refreshing.

Meanwhile, regarding the "queer baiting" that Rizzoli & Isles could be accused of, I read an interesting perspective on that the other day. I believe it was an excerpt from an interview. Anyway, the writer was talking about how she was unable (due to network or producer pressure?) to make her characters overtly gay, but in order to give her gay audience something familiar or to latch on to, and playing on the chemistry of the actors involved, she did like to throw in statements or even wardrobe that could be interpreted that way (gay) in order to push that envelope, or provide some sort of representation. She was surprised that that could be taken negatively (not that I'm saying that was beknighted's point here; it just made me remember the article).

I wonder where they're going with Angela? Maybe she'll put all that nosiness to work and become a PI! Laughing

PostPosted: 08/01/14 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In terms of the not-so-below-the-surface gay stuff, I have to think that Sasha and Angie must crack up sometimes when they deliver some of their lines for the first time. I mean, how could you be Sasha Alexander and keep a straight face (no pun intended) after you say to Angie Harmon, "I want you to look as good for him as you do for me." The whole set must crack up at stuff like that.

On a different note --- I agree that some of the crime story lines have been a little better this season, but then you have this week --- why did the victim have to go to the trouble of hiding his IRA bombing confession on the page edges of a hidden counterfeit rare book? Why not put it in a letter and hide the letter?

norwester

PostPosted: 08/01/14 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
On a different note --- I agree that some of the crime story lines have been a little better this season, but then you have this week --- why did the victim have to go to the trouble of hiding his IRA bombing confession on the page edges of a hidden counterfeit rare book? Why not put it in a letter and hide the letter?

Haha. I know. Maybe the reason we can't guess the killer in the first 5 minutes (except to know that the first person they interview usually isn't the killer) is because they all have bizarre motivations or methods this season. I mean, last week: all that trouble to shoot his now-skinny wife? What a loon!

PostPosted: 08/01/14 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
In terms of the not-so-below-the-surface gay stuff, I have to think that Sasha and Angie must crack up sometimes when they deliver some of their lines for the first time. I mean, how could you be Sasha Alexander and keep a straight face (no pun intended) after you say to Angie Harmon, "I want you to look as good for him as you do for me." The whole set must crack up at stuff like that.

It's a testament to their acting skills that they can get even one good take on some of those lines.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/06/14 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rizzoli & Isles: Meet Frost's Replacement (But Don't Call Her That)

Thought the episode was interesting. We already hashed out the effects on Jane for next episode (no Two Outstanding Heterosexuals & a Baby), but I'm intrigued by a possible foster kid plot line.

We'll see how the new addition to the team works out. So far so good.

I'd like to see Frankie get some resolution on his employment/detective storyline. He's already stated that he knows he won't currently get hired in on homocide, and he should probably have to work his way up anyway. He was a floater last season, but I can't tell what he's doing this season, apart from working with homicide.

PostPosted: 08/07/14 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really liked this episode.
norwester

PostPosted: 08/08/14 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“Rizzoli & Isles” Subtext Recap (5.08 ): You want I should whack him?

PostPosted: 08/10/14 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The subplot with the baseball is kind of strange - and made me think that he might like Jane better than Maura, which would be awkward and interesting.

And I don't know about anyone else, but both my wife and I had an immediate "she wouldn't say that" reaction to Maura telling Jane at the end that she "done good."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: