RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 Connecticut vs #1 Notre Dame - 4/08/14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Connecticut
67%
 67%  [ 23 ]
Notre Dame
32%
 32%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 34

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/08/14 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:

Wonder what the game would have looked like if Achonwa was playing.

Not much different.

I won't say I have to disagree, but I do think Achonwa would have made things tougher for UConn inside, and would have demanded more defensive attention, both of which would have helped a lot. Whether it would have been enough, well, I can't say.

FS02

PostPosted: 04/08/14 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:

Wonder what the game would have looked like if Achonwa was playing.

Not much different.

I won't say I have to disagree, but I do think Achonwa would have made things tougher for UConn inside, and would have demanded more defensive attention, both of which would have helped a lot. Whether it would have been enough, well, I can't say.

Also, I don't think you can really be an emotional leader from the bench, at least it must be a lot harder for someone not used to doing it.

I think it would have at least been a single digit game most of the way and much more interesting with Achonwa. But that's just a guess, no one can really say what impact one piece may have on a collective group like that... she could mean everything, or almost nothing, depending on the team dynamics.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 5:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went 48-15 in the tournament and it finished as I expected.

The two best teams in the country and UConn won by 20 plus points.
zune69

PostPosted: 04/09/14 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Achonwa was healthy,maybe they lose to Maryland.In the game against the Terps earlier in the year,ND played better when Achonwa was in foul trouble.Maryland made a comeback in the 2nd half when achonwa was on the court.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/09/14 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
To all ND fans, good luck tonight. It has been a great season. Let's hope that the game is as great as the teams are and the officials are as competent as the teams are great. Either way it has been both informative and fun. Kayla leaves after this year, right. Please!

Who does UConn have coming in? They lose Dolson and Hartley.

They have four incoming recruits in Kia Nurse from Canada who will and has played on the Canada team with Achonwa, Courtney Ekmark, who graduated early so did not attend school this year and who is considered the best pure shooter in this year's class, Gabby Williams who unfortunately sustained an ACL injury but prior to that made the Oylmpic team as a high jumper between her junior and senior year in high school and Sadie Edwards who can play either point or two guard. Edwards and Williams are both McDonald's AA. None of the recruits is taller than six foot.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
To all ND fans, good luck tonight. It has been a great season. Let's hope that the game is as great as the teams are and the officials are as competent as the teams are great. Either way it has been both informative and fun. Kayla leaves after this year, right. Please!

Who does UConn have coming in? They lose Dolson and Hartley.

They have four incoming recruits in Kia Nurse from Canada who will and has played on the Canada team with Achonwa, Courtney Ekmark, who graduated early so did not attend school this year and who is considered the best pure shooter in this year's class, Gabby Williams who unfortunately sustained an ACL injury but prior to that made the Oylmpic team as a high jumper between her junior and senior year in high school and Sadie Edwards who can play either point or two guard. Edwards and Williams are both McDonald's AA. None of the recruits is taller than six foot.

And the tweet of the night came from Gabby Williams, who tweeted to the other three two words that should put some fear in many teams: "We're next"

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/09/14 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The UConn recruiting class is solid but not spectacular -- of course someone could emerge as a great player (my money would be on Williams), but there's no obvious star like Stewart.

I lost a lot of respect for Ekmark, who could have played for her high school team in her senior year after winning championships, but her dad quit as coach and she opted not to support her school and community by playing as a senior and not being on an elite team. They would have struggled, but for me, competitors play regardless of whether their team is going to be great or mediocre.

Without Dolson, though, the structure of this year's team will change, as no longer will UConn dominate inside with three strong players. Now there will be two, and Hartley presumably will be replaced by Saniya Chong or Brianna Banks or one of the incoming frosh with Dolson's spot going to the next best player.

As long as Stewart's around, though, the Huskies will probably be the favorite in every game they play ...

PostPosted: 04/09/14 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The UConn recruiting class is solid but not spectacular -- of course someone could emerge as a great player (my money would be on Williams), but there's no obvious star like Stewart.

I lost a lot of respect for Ekmark, who could have played for her high school team in her senior year after winning championships, but her dad quit as coach and she opted not to support her school and community by playing as a senior and not being on an elite team. They would have struggled, but for me, competitors play regardless of whether their team is going to be great or mediocre.

Without Dolson, though, the structure of this year's team will change, as no longer will UConn dominate inside with three strong players. Now there will be two, and Hartley presumably will be replaced by Saniya Chong or Brianna Banks or one of the incoming frosh with Dolson's spot going to the next best player.

As long as Stewart's around, though, the Huskies will probably be the favorite in every game they play ...

Correct you, Clay, she left school for academic reasons first of all. She had but one class to graduate and choose to graduate early, plus she was and is already taking college level courses. Sometimes students place academic considerations above sports considerations. This is such a case. She is now working out and getting into condition for UCONN. Boy, people judge way too fast sometimes.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Other coaches have told me Nurse is the real deal.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/14 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
They would have struggled, but for me, competitors play regardless of whether their team is going to be great or mediocre.

This contradicts your view on the tanking of Phoenix 2012, but what else is new.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster

PostPosted: 04/09/14 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I expect UConn to be a quicker team overall and with the 4 players coming in (who ASGR sees as perhaps the best class Clay lol) I expect them to extend their defense next year.

A little harsh to Ekmark. You cover lots of HS elite teams that recruit players away from the HS they would have attended had they not been looking for a D1 scholarship. So are all those players showing loyalty to the communities they grew up in? Are they wrong to think of their personal future before the glory of their HS class?

I have no problem with players doing what is best for their careers. And I think you know too many AAU and elite team coaches Clay. Ekmarks decision, if it were to become a trend, threatens their incomes, doesn't it?

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/09/14 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, I've coached in high school for many decades, and I certainly didn't do it for the money, and I don't now.

Very few club coaches in basketball make a lot of money, and whether a kid like Ekmark plays for your team or not is no big deal. And of course, high school coaching salaries are in the $2,000 range in most areas.

So money had nothing to do with it ...

Courtney Ekmark is a good kid, as far as I know and I've always gotten along with Curtis -- who even lent me some basketballs one year when we came to the TOC.

But if you play for your high school for three years and your team is really good, and then a bunch of good players graduate and you're left to play with your classmates -- who have been in the program, either sitting on the bench on the varsity or playing on JVs, and cheering you while you play -- I think there's an obligation there.

I think the obligations are

1) To your school, which pays for a basketball team that doesn't make any money, and allowed you to play on a national stage for three years;

2) To the athletic department at the school, which supported your team and your program, and put in lots of hours to get officials, arrange practice time, etc.;

3) To your classmates, who supported you when you were winning; and

4) To your wider school community, which followed your team when you were good and wrote about you in the newspaper and told you how great you were.

For me, to decide that it doesn't make sense to play as a senior just isn't right. OK, you have one class -- take that class in the first semester and play until you graduate (though I'm guessing you can finish the season even if you do graduate). Yes, your team won't be as good as the elite teams you've always played for, but what about the girls you'd be playing with? What happens to them now that the only star decides to leave them hanging?

I'm sure a case can be made that Courtney shouldn't have played -- the risk of injury, etc. -- but I don't like it at all. There is such a thing as loyalty, and to me, this is just a slap in the face to the school and her classmates.

One other player I know of did this: Erika Arriaran, who went on to play at Texas. She was good but never quite lived up to expectations. I don't want to make that connection, because Ekmark could star at UConn, and truly, I hope she does.

But I still think she should have played high school basketball her senior year.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
For me, to decide that it doesn't make sense to play as a senior just isn't right. OK, you have one class -- take that class in the first semester and play until you graduate (though I'm guessing you can finish the season even if you do graduate).

One point worth mentioning here - it's one thing to say you have to finish one class to graduate and something else entirely to say you'll graduate once you finish one class. I know a lot of people from high school class who could have taken one or two classes in their senior years and graduated because they'd met all of the other graduation requirements. None of them did. And these days, there are all sorts of opportunities to take actual college classes (not to mention AP or IB classes) while you're in high school and get college credit before you're in college if that's what you want to do.

My point is that she had more than a binary choice here - she could have achieved her stated objectives without leaving high school if that's what she wanted. I don't know enough to make a judgment on that choice, but I think it is important to understand the choices she probably actually had.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/09/14 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
LilyJadeRose wrote:
and now this Exclamation

Quote:
@MikeAndMike 1h

It's a bet. If Notre Dame wins @RebeccaLobo will wear an Irish cheerleading uni. If UConn wins @espngolic will sport a Husky one. #GolicBet

If you have NO other reason to want ND to win, please think about seeing Golic in a cheerleader uni and cheer, pray, beg, bribe, whatever it takes and suits you, for ND to win tonight!!! Please, think of the children that might see this! Smile

So I'm the only one assuming he'd be in a *men's* cheerleader outfit?

I wondered that too. I still don't want to see it. Wink

Apparently as part of the bet, Rebecca left it up to Golic's wife to decide what gender uniform he should wear. She then added an aside that it that to wear a women's uniform it would be too cost prohibitive to make as she doubted very much they had his size.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
You know, I've coached in high school for many decades, and I certainly didn't do it for the money, and I don't now.

Very few club coaches in basketball make a lot of money, and whether a kid like Ekmark plays for your team or not is no big deal. And of course, high school coaching salaries are in the $2,000 range in most areas.

So money had nothing to do with it ...

Courtney Ekmark is a good kid, as far as I know and I've always gotten along with Curtis -- who even lent me some basketballs one year when we came to the TOC.

But if you play for your high school for three years and your team is really good, and then a bunch of good playebrs graduate and you're left to play with your classmates -- who have been in the program, either sitting on the bench on the varsity or playing on JVs, and cheering you while you play -- I think there's an obligation there.

I think the obligations are

1) To your school, which pays for a basketball team that doesn't make any money, and allowed you to play on a national stage for three years;

2) To the athletic department at the school, which supported your team and your program, and put in lots of hours to get officials, arrange practice time, etc.;

3) To your classmates, who supported you when you were winning; and

4) To your wider school community, which followed your team when you were good and wrote about you in the newspaper and told you how great you were.

For me, to decide that it doesn't make sense to play as a senior just isn't right. OK, you have one class -- take that class in the first semester and play until you graduate (though I'm guessing you can finish the season even if you do graduate). Yes, your team won't be as good as the elite teams you've always played for, but what about the girls you'd be playing with? What happens to them now that the only star decides to leave them hanging?

I'm sure a case can be made that Courtney shouldn't have played -- the risk of injury, etc. -- but I don't like it at all. There is such a thing as loyalty, and to me, this is just a slap in the face to the school and her classmates.

One other player I know of did this: Erika Arriaran, who went on to play at Texas. She was good but never quite lived up to expectations. I don't want to make that connection, because Ekmark could star at UConn, and truly, I hope she does.

But I still think she should have played high school basketball her senior year.

Clay, you missed the point, she graduated. She was one class short of graduating so that means she would have only had to take one class the entire year. She was taking AP level courses as a junior which in some cases count toward's her college degree.

As far as injury, still plays basketball or was with her brother's team. There was even consideration that she might have metriculated to UCONN this year rather then next as she was academically eligible.

She did the primary thing that student's are supposed to do, she satisfied her academic requirements. There was no need academically to stay the entire year or for that matter, her last year. She graduated with her friends.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/10/14 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
If UCONN makes it to the Final Four again next year I will make it my business not to watch. Not because I hate UCONN but I am just tired of the blowouts. There is no suspense or mystery when a team plays UCONN. Everyone knows what the outcome will be. I should have gone out and watch that Winter Soldier movie tonight. Rolling Eyes

I guessed you missed the 2011/12 FFs?

and 03/04?

and 95/96?

Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/10/14 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
If UCONN makes it to the Final Four again next year I will make it my business not to watch. Not because I hate UCONN but I am just tired of the blowouts. There is no suspense or mystery when a team plays UCONN. Everyone knows what the outcome will be. I should have gone out and watch that Winter Soldier movie tonight. Rolling Eyes

and 03/04?

and 95/96?

Very Happy
Yes it is the same old song. A song that I am tired of listening to. I will continue to follow WCBB. I will cease and desist from watching the NCAA tournament unless there is special player that I want to see that does not get lot of tv coverage.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/21/14 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

and 03/04?

and 95/96?

Very Happy
Yes it is the same old song. A song that I am tired of listening to. I will continue to follow WCBB. I will cease and desist from watching the NCAA tournament unless there is special player that I want to see that does not get lot of tv coverage.

In the FFs mentioned above, UConn lost and/or the outcome was still in doubt until late in the game.

PostPosted: 04/21/14 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By all means you can continue to watch the UCONN invitational. I just will not be there.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: