RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Two questions for the group

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markinct

PostPosted: 04/19/14 11:39 am    ::: Two questions for the group Reply Reply with quote

Always come here when I want information, it's more accurate than any other news source out there Smile

1) The Liberty Website shows Katie Smith as an Asst Coach, what happened to Mama Taj?

2) After reading comments about Tina and others.."sitting out", it left me wondering....is there any legal recourse a team can take if a player opts to just not play. I can see clearly that if a player like Sydney Carter said it vs someone like Tina Charles and the impact it could have on the team but it led me to think....I mean we all have jobs to do, we can't just take a year off, come back fresh in a new year and say, Okay I'm ready to work again. So, what can a team do? I know they can clearly "suspend" them which means they don't get paid but wouldn't it be a breach of contract?

DTP

PostPosted: 04/19/14 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles wasn't under contract, so there wasn't anything Connecticut could've done in that situation.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 04/19/14 2:12 pm    ::: Re: Two questions for the group Reply Reply with quote

markinct wrote:
....I mean we all have jobs to do, we can't just take a year off, come back fresh in a new year and say, Okay I'm ready to work again. ?

The WNBA is not players' primary job/income-especially for stars. It is their "part-time" side gig. Many (tho not all) people take a slightly more, um, relaxed? approach to their 2nd job. It is the main employer you try to keep happiest.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/19/14 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mama Taj is interested in playing again- she was overseas somewhere on the Iberian peninsula this winter. Don't know if she's trying to break back into the W, though. But I think everyone on staff knew that going in- Katie announced she was going to be an assistant for Bill before last season was even over.

PostPosted: 04/19/14 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taj doesn't explain a lot of what's going on in her life. Her retirement was deafly quiet and there was never an official celebration for it that I know of.

Like Harding, she never seems to stay in one place too long. Her goal seems to be head coaching, but she doesn't seem patient enough to go the long time assistant coach route. I know she tried for the recent NDSU head coaching job and didn't get it.

It's hard to say about her playing pro ball again. This latest stint may have been the one last chance she had to play pro ball with her daughter, and that may be all there is to it. She might not be interested in playing again. If we haven't heard by now, I doubt she's going back to the WNBA. But there's a chance she's doing the Brett Favre thing and trying to avoid training camp by announcing her return late. Smile

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/19/14 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 04/19/14 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She could be the first player to retire when she qualifies for social security.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/19/14 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would have liked Taj to play for the Liberty as the 12th player on the roster just to see her in the uniform one more time. Whether she would be qualified to make it over whoever the 5th post will be (assuming there will be a 5th post) I don't know. It's just something I want to see. I never would have thought I'd have liked a player so much who played only one season for my team.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/20/14 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Taj doesn't explain a lot of what's going on in her life. Her retirement was deafly quiet and there was never an official celebration for it that I know of.

Like Harding, she never seems to stay in one place too long. Her goal seems to be head coaching, but she doesn't seem patient enough to go the long time assistant coach route. I know she tried for the recent NDSU head coaching job and didn't get it.

It's hard to say about her playing pro ball again. This latest stint may have been the one last chance she had to play pro ball with her daughter, and that may be all there is to it. She might not be interested in playing again. If we haven't heard by now, I doubt she's going back to the WNBA. But there's a chance she's doing the Brett Favre thing and trying to avoid training camp by announcing her return late. Smile

Taj never said she has retired, period.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 04/20/14 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
I would have liked Taj to play for the Liberty as the 12th player on the roster just to see her in the uniform one more time. Whether she would be qualified to make it over whoever the 5th post will be (assuming there will be a 5th post) I don't know. It's just something I want to see. I never would have thought I'd have liked a player so much who played only one season for my team.

Im so over Taj

Shades

PostPosted: 04/20/14 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:

From playing? That seems to be the case, but don't you find taking a job as a WNBA assistant and looking for college head coaching jobs as very implicit? At the very least, you have to agree that she wants to retire from playing.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/20/14 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:

From playing? That seems to be the case, but don't you find taking a job as a WNBA assistant and looking for college head coaching jobs as very implicit? At the very least, you have to agree that she wants to retire from playing.

I don't and from what I've heard, she doesn't.

PeachBasket

PostPosted: 04/20/14 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be delighted to have Taj back with the Sun. A team as young and inexperienced as Connecticut could get the maximum benefit out of the advantages Mama Taj brings.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/20/14 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:

Totally agree. In her year as a player for the Liberty, I thought she made a terrific contribution on and off the court. That 2010 team won more regular-season games than any in Liberty history and was the last Liberty team to win a playoff series. It wasn't all Taj by any means, but she was #2 on the team in minutes per game, scoring, and rebounding.

PostPosted: 04/21/14 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep. If they'd had her in 2011 I think they would have won 20+ again too.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/21/14 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

Im so over Taj

X_____________

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: