RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2014 mock draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 11/30/13 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the players that have fallen past round 1 but then outperformed its not too hard to see why in some cases - they were either "too small" (Bentley, Goodrich, Mitchell, R. Williams), "too big" (Adams) or had "character issues" (R. Williams.) For Hightower and Hayes its not so obvious (to me, but perhaps others will know) why they fell.

Of course, what is much harder to see is why their liabilities didn't matter. In some cases, (Williams, Goodrich, Hayes, Bentley) it may just have been a case of landing in the right spot where they got a chance to play enough to develop, but didn't have to carry too heavy of a load.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/30/13 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, Hightower just looked awkward and too skinny and not skilled enough coming out of college. But clearly she's a hard worker and I think Mike and/or his staff did great work in developing her.

Hayes just got lost on a uber-talented roster where it was unclear what she could/would do in her own right.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 11/30/13 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Of the top five, the one I'm least sure about is Thomas because I just don't know what position she'll play. Is she physical enough to be a four? Is she quick enough and does she have enough perimeter game to be a three?

And I don't think the comparisons to Brunson hold, because before Brunson hurt her knee, she was one of the top two or three leapers in the entire league, and she's very, very athletic. I don't see Thomas in that category, and athleticism will determine if she can play the three (and by the way, Brunson couldn't).

The safe call for Thomas' future position is power forward, but how does she match up, say, with Glory Johnson or Nneka Ogwumike or Brunson? She's more like Swin Cash and Plenette Pierson, it seems to me, but at a similar age, I recall Cash and Pierson being quicker and faster.

All that said, Thomas is a very good player who does everything but block shots. She turns the ball over a lot (137 last year) but she also managed 181 assists so clearly she can do something with the ball.

I just wonder if Chelsea Gray, who's two inches shorter and a point guard, is the more valuable in the long run and though Sims doesn't have the size, she too has a position.

A Thomas played out of position last year at PG due to the starting backcourt for MD being out (ACL injuries). That's the reason for all of those turnovers.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/30/13 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Looking at the players that have fallen past round 1 but then outperformed its not too hard to see why in some cases - they were either "too small" (Bentley, Goodrich, Mitchell, R. Williams), "too big" (Adams) or had "character issues" (R. Williams.).

I was very, very wrong about both of these. Embarassed

PostPosted: 11/30/13 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Randy wrote:
Looking at the players that have fallen past round 1 but then outperformed its not too hard to see why in some cases - they were either "too small" (Bentley, Goodrich, Mitchell, R. Williams), "too big" (Adams) or had "character issues" (R. Williams.).

I was very, very wrong about both of these. Embarassed

Well, I wanted the Dream to draft Goodrich (my first choice) and Lindsey Moore (remember her?) was my second choice Embarassed , but became a fan of Bentley pretty quickly. Still like Goodrich, though. Smile

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 12/03/13 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am going to throw a fantasy pick into the 2014 mock draft. The most talented player in Division One basketball is NOT a senior. If the WNBA were to allow underclassmen to be drafted she would be the Number One pick in 2014 AND 2015. That player is Breanna Stewart of UCONN. Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/04/13 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I am going to throw a fantasy pick into the 2014 mock draft. The most talented player in Division One basketball is NOT a senior. If the WNBA were to allow underclassmen to be drafted she would be the Number One pick in 2014 AND 2015. That player is Breanna Stewart of UCONN. Very Happy

Stop with the Stewart-ade. Chiney Ogwumike has already outplayed Stewart in a game this year, hard to say that Stewart would be the no. 1 pick over Gray, Ogwumike, Sims, and heck I'd throw Thomas in there.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/04/13 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the WNBA allowed underclassman to be drafted, the Chiney, Gray, etc wold probably already have been drafted. And Stewart would have likely been the No. 1 pick in the 2013 draft.

Of course, the incentive for the players to come out early is only a fraction of that for the men drafted into the NBA. So maybe none of them would go out early.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 12/04/13 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please do not think that I am a UCONN fan just because of what I said about Stewart. I am not a UCONN fan. Stewart's height, wingspan, and skill set is unique. She is just as unique as Brittany Griner. No matter how talented other players might be they could not match Griner physical gifts. The same can be said about Stewart.

PostPosted: 12/04/13 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
hard to say that Stewart would be the no. 1 pick over Gray, Ogwumike, Sims, and heck I'd throw Thomas in there.

I'm taking Stewart over four of those players, maybe even five..

PostPosted: 12/04/13 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am with you mavcarter, Stewart is the real deal. After this year she will be one of the top five players in college.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/04/13 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Stop with the Stewart-ade. Chiney Ogwumike has already outplayed Stewart in a game this year, hard to say that Stewart would be the no. 1 pick over Gray, Ogwumike, Sims, and heck I'd throw Thomas in there.

Really? Considering Chiney and Stewart had nothing to do with each other on the court, I find that opinion fascinating. Chiney was covering/covered Dolson and Stokes.

Stewart at USA camp, according to all reports, outplayed all of the mentioned attendees against WNBA senior competition.

The kid is special. Even Auriemma says she does things routinely in practice he hasn't had a player do before, and I think he's had some pretty amazing players there.

sigur3

PostPosted: 12/04/13 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
hard to say that Stewart would be the no. 1 pick over Gray, Ogwumike, Sims, and heck I'd throw Thomas in there.

I'm taking Stewart over four of those players, maybe even five..

As am I.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/04/13 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pimping Stewart in a 2014 draft discussion thread isn't too useful, but it should put the president on tank alert for 2016.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dynasty0207

PostPosted: 12/04/13 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I clearly see Stewart's athleticism, ability, and potential. But I think she still needs to develop more on offense/creating her own shot. Or maybe I'm just a bigger Delle Donne fan so I'm being biased; but I'd rather have Elena on my team.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/04/13 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Pimping Stewart in a 2014 draft discussion thread isn't too useful, but it should put the president on tank alert for 2016.

Olympic year - good year for teams with foreign players to tank......

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/04/13 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:

Stewart to Seattle, yeah that works.

Back to 2014, I would love to hear some opinions on the lesser known players of 2014, who are the next best posts after Ogwumike, Thomas and Dolson? Any PGs out there outside of the top 2 who can make a roster?

Randy

PostPosted: 12/04/13 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other possibilities include Tulsa, Atlanta, DC, Chicago, SA and probably a few others I've forgotten.

The other players I've seen and read discussions about a bit are Achonwa for the big, and Hartley as PG (but maybe really a SG.) Haven't gotten to see ND play this year, but seen UConn at least twice.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/04/13 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dynasty0207 wrote:
I clearly see Stewart's athleticism, ability, and potential. But I think she still needs to develop more on offense/creating her own shot. Or maybe I'm just a bigger Delle Donne fan so I'm being biased; but I'd rather have Elena on my team.

IMO Stewie also must get some more muscle on that body to play well consistently at the next level.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/04/13 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:

Stewart to Seattle, yeah that works.

Back to 2014, I would love to hear some opinions on the lesser known players of 2014, who are the next best posts after Ogwumike, Thomas and Dolson? Any PGs out there outside of the top 2 who can make a roster?

I see Thomas as an SF.

Dolson, Achonwa.... Walz was talking about Howard as a Top 5 player Confused I need more time to decide on the rest. Your thoughts?

How does 6 guards, 4 posts and 2 SF sound for the first round?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 12/04/13 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:

The teams would have to tank in 2015 for the 2016 draft.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 12/04/13 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I introduced Stewart into this discussion because this thread had become a little boring! Laughing I do not understand why people like to put players in a box and say they have to be a small forward or a shooting guard or whatever. The only question that I ask about every college player that I watch is can she BALL! It is either a yes or no answer.
If a player does not have the athleticism, height, and skill set then that player will not make a WNBA team.
How many of you here have played pickup basketball in your neighborhood playgrounds or parks? When you are choosing teammates you pick players that are good. What you do not do is tell person A that she is small forward and person B that she is the center. You just play basketball! You play to win! PERIOD.

PostPosted: 12/05/13 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:

The teams would have to tank in 2015 for the 2016 draft.

I heard Taurasi is trying to grow her wisdom teeth back in time for the 2015 season. Griner will have an unfortunate incident involving bacon or her longboard. Dupree will become pregnant through invitro fertilization. Taylor will still be on rehab. Houston still have a fashion business and will be too busy to take basketball seriously. Bonner will be encouraged to keep on doing what she does (she was instrumental in 2012). Prahalis will be brought back and she will proceed to win all kinds of awards (this will help confuse people on whether they're really tanking). Amber Cox will be brought back to make sure this series of unlikely events is executed to perfection.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/05/13 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I introduced Stewart into this discussion because this thread had become a little boring! Laughing I do not understand why people like to put players in a box and say they have to be a small forward or a shooting guard or whatever. The only question that I ask about every college player that I watch is can she BALL! It is either a yes or no answer.
If a player does not have the athleticism, height, and skill set then that player will not make a WNBA team.
How many of you here have played pickup basketball in your neighborhood playgrounds or parks? When you are choosing teammates you pick players that are good. What you do not do is tell person A that she is small forward and person B that she is the center. You just play basketball! You play to win! PERIOD.

Holy crap a voice of reason! Shocked

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/05/13 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
dynasty0207 wrote:

IMO Stewie also must get some more muscle on that body to play well consistently at the next level.

She has gotten bigger already than last year, but you're right. She was so excited when I commented about it and started flexing. Pretty darn funny.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 10 of 67

Jump to: