RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The best never
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/14/13 10:08 am    ::: The best never Reply Reply with quote

Who are the best current players who haven't won a championship?

Per game stats require a minimum of 90 games played.

PostPosted: 10/14/13 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess no championships means Becky Hammon isn't nearly as good as we thought ...

PostPosted: 10/14/13 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I guess no championships means Becky Hammon isn't nearly as good as we thought ...

She must not be making her teammates better Rolling Eyes

jap

PostPosted: 10/14/13 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The simple-minded idea of grading players strictly by championships won in a TEAM game has always struck me as being ridiculously overly simplistic.

PostPosted: 10/14/13 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll go with McCoughtry, because she's the best at getting her team there but she just can't get them over the hump. Minnesota and Seattle are just too humpy.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 10/14/13 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 10/14/13 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
All go with McCoughtry, because she's the best at getting her team there but she just can't get them over the hump. Minnesota and Seattle are just too humpy.

Interesting. I doubt many people think Angel is better than Candy P.

PostPosted: 10/14/13 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
The simple-minded idea of grading players strictly by championships won in a TEAM game has always struck me as being ridiculously overly simplistic.

Yep, I guess Dupree and Parker must be just average players too..

PostPosted: 10/14/13 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Maybe some players just need their Dwayne Wade to get a ring.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 10/14/13 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Maybe some players just need their Dwayne Wade to get a ring.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/14/13 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

...or Sylvia Fowles...or Angel McCoughtry...or Candace Parker...or Candice Dupree...or...

Rolling Eyes

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/14/13 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, we had a similar discussion like this last year...(click below)

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1099571

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/14/13 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously anything can happen, but with Minnesota as good as they are, PX on the rise with Griner and the possible return of a healthy Taylor, and the emergence of Chicago and a healthy Seattle I think it is going to be hard for Hammon and Young or Angel to get there 'ship in the next couple of years without a major upgrade on their teams or a trade to another team. Parker, Dupree and Fowles have a much better chance because their teams are right there but they still have to get past Minnesota and Seattle. I'm glad Catchings got hers last year because while Indiana is good it is really going to be an uphill battle for them for the next few years against the top teams.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/11/13 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.swishappeal.com/2013/12/11/5200678/the-best-never

Quote:
Only one other player in league history (Natalie Williams) has three First Team All WNBA mentions without a title. No one has four.

PostPosted: 09/13/14 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update for 2014

Per game stats require a minimum of 90 games played.

Last edited by pilight on 10/17/15 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/13/14 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are two MVPs to never win a title: Parker and Charles. Parker has won the award twice. At least the WNBA thinks she is the best never.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/13/14 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
There are two MVPs to never win a title: Parker and Charles. Parker has won the award twice. At least the WNBA thinks she is the best never.

Parker is also the only player in WNBA history to make All WNBA four times without winning a championship.

PostPosted: 09/13/14 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know why the w is so caught up on her. She is a good player but to be honest I get tired of seeing some article about her everytime I go to the .com. Even when her team was swept out of the playoffs in the 1st round again there was an article about her on the website. I am not faulting her for all this attention but the league seems to have gone overboard with their obsession.

SCook

PostPosted: 09/14/14 4:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
I don't know why the w is so caught up on her. She is a good player but to be honest I get tired of seeing some article about her everytime I go to the .com. Even when her team was swept out of the playoffs in the 1st round again there was an article about her on the website. I am not faulting her for all this attention but the league seems to have gone overboard with their obsession.

She's their poster market child. Who else is gonna do it?? BG?? Diggins??? No. Candace is a WNBA fans favorite but she has had a ton of adversity and is still struggling. She shows the young girls out there that you can follow your dreams and be a mom too. Parker is willing to put herself out there but still pull back.

The WNBA uses her for specific things, just like how they practically glued BG to the LGBT Pride campaigns. That's exactly why every chance they get, they are talking about BG's engagement.

Until CP3 wins a ring, her story will be constantly reiterated to the viewing audience because she's had the back to back injuries and the unexpected pregnancy, which have effected her career.

PostPosted: 10/22/14 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/10/22/7038495/the-best-never

Quote:
Not sure what can be gleaned from this other than the Sparks should be a lot better than they are.

PostPosted: 10/17/15 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update for 2015

Per game stats require a minimum of 90 games played

PostPosted: 10/22/16 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update for 2016

Per game stats require a minimum of 90 games played

PostPosted: 10/22/16 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now it's pretty clearly Angel, Tina or Delle Donne as the best player with no title. But it demonstrates when Nneka went from being a very good player to a star player and Toliver had a pretty consistent season that Parker had the help she needed to win it. None of the above 3 has the same degree of support. Hopefully Piph's return will get the Libs closer.

To Parker's credit, she also willed the game 5 victory with her intensity level, especially on the glass, where she not only had a lot of rebounds but also several putbacks.

PostPosted: 10/22/16 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

poor Angel. I wonder when she's a UFA, if she'll try to go to a championship type team(New York? Chicago?)?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/22/16 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure she and Laimbeer would coexist very well as her style of play is not a real good fit with a post-heavy offense. She would have to be willing to adjust her halfcourt game somewhat to open things up for Tina. On the flip side, they have played together overseas before, albeit in a system that probably had Angel as more of a primary player. But a player of Angel's talent level is basically exactly what the Liberty could use to take a significant step forward, if she were willing to be a 1B type of player in a different style of play than she is used to. I'd consider that a big if.

Moving forward with their young players and already being close to the cap this past year, getting a star player via free agency might be a challenge, though I guess you'll have Wright's contract off the books in the near future.

PostPosted: 10/22/16 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
poor Angel. I wonder when she's a UFA, if she'll try to go to a championship type team(New York? Chicago?)?

I doubt it. She's opened a business in Atlanta and her significant other is closely tied to the city.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: