RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

13 On-Screen Couples Who Have ZERO Chemistry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norwester

PostPosted: 09/12/13 11:18 am    ::: 13 On-Screen Couples Who Have ZERO Chemistry Reply Reply with quote

13 On-Screen Couples Who Have ZERO Chemistry

Since I'm just a dumb girl trying not to think too much these days...ok, I'll stop. But anyway, this slideshow amused me. I don't agree in all cases, and some of the justification/explanations included in the slideshow are pretty much lacking in substance beyond: they didn't work. But it opened up debate with some of my friends about omissions and inclusions.

I thought Neo/Trinity worked in the first Matrix...the one that matters, for instance. And I was never a big Ducky fan no matter how much everyone around me wanted him to get the girl in the end. Really? What am I missing here? Wouldn't that be like kissing your brother?

One amusing comment was complaining about the lack of chemistry between Anna Kendrick and Skylar Astin in Pitch Perfect, stating that AK had more chemistry with Britanny Snow. Maybe I found it funny because I agree, even though I like the movie. It's like, they could have shot two endings practically and either would have worked because they set up both relationships to practically the same degree.

So, what other omissions were there?

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 09/12/13 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i was indifferent to everything listed except Neo/Trinity & Vin Diesel/Michelle Rodriguez. the neo/trinity storyline was perfectly fine and i seriously thought vin & michelle made a realistic (well in the context of this movie) couple with plenty of passion... and action.

one couple that was left off was Harry Potter & Ginny Weasley. now, please allow me to explain before everyone's heads explode. let me start with, i'm a huge Harry Potter fanatic. i've read and reread the entire series multiple times and watched and rewatched the movies more times than i'd like to admit. i can tell you all the back stories and all the lore that goes into the series. with that said...

Harry and Ginny actually are a great couple. the pairing does make sense and is really sweet. But, it did no translate into the movies. when you watch the movies Harry and Ginny never felt quite right together. that's because of how Ginny Weasley was written in the movies. her character was never developed properly and that always annoyed the truest Harry Potter fans. it wasn't the actress, the casting was great. it was the way that Ginny was written that made that character fall flat. there is so much more to Ginny Weasley than what was shown in the movies. that's why that romantic pairing just never felt quite right and would make the casual fan go, well how did they wind up together?

fan girl rant now over... Laughing

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/12/13 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LilyJadeRose wrote:
i was indifferent to everything listed except Neo/Trinity & Vin Diesel/Michelle Rodriguez. the neo/trinity storyline was perfectly fine and i seriously thought vin & michelle made a realistic (well in the context of this movie) couple with plenty of passion... and action.

one couple that was left off was Harry Potter & Ginny Weasley. now, please allow me to explain before everyone's heads explode. let me start with, i'm a huge Harry Potter fanatic. i've read and reread the entire series multiple times and watched and rewatched the movies more times than i'd like to admit. i can tell you all the back stories and all the lore that goes into the series. with that said...

Harry and Ginny actually are a great couple. the pairing does make sense and is really sweet. But, it did no translate into the movies. when you watch the movies Harry and Ginny never felt quite right together. that's because of how Ginny Weasley was written in the movies. her character was never developed properly and that always annoyed the truest Harry Potter fans. it wasn't the actress, the casting was great. it was the way that Ginny was written that made that character fall flat. there is so much more to Ginny Weasley than what was shown in the movies. that's why that romantic pairing just never felt quite right and would make the casual fan go, well how did they wind up together?

I didn't even like the couple in the books. In fact, as much of a Potter Junkie as I am, I didn't think her character was developed enough in the books, either.

But I agree, no chemistry in the movies, either.

edit: I actually though Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams were pretty cute.

PostPosted: 09/12/13 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LilyJadeRose wrote:

I didn't even like the couple in the books. In fact, as much of a Potter Junkie as I am, I didn't think her character was developed enough in the books, either.

PostPosted: 09/12/13 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
LilyJadeRose wrote:

you didn't think Ginny was developed enough in the books? interesting. but from that series the one coupling that threw me off completely was that of Neville Longbottom and Hannah Abbott. i was floored when i found out that's who Neville married. i always saw Neville and Luna together. that seemed quite logical and appropriate. so in the final film of the series, when Neville leaves Harry, Ron, and Hermione to go tell Luna how much he loves her before they all wind up dead... even though i was upset that the movie went against cannon in a huge way, i was still pleased because i thought that was better anyway.

Realcomplicated

PostPosted: 09/13/13 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
LilyJadeRose wrote:

Rachel McAdams can make anyone she's with look pretty cute....Love her! Smile

norwester

PostPosted: 09/13/13 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree about Harry and Ginny in the movies. I thought she was pretty cool in the book with DA, etc., though even there a lot happened behind the scenes, presumably. Hey, I even thought Ron didn't quite live up to Hermione in the movies, probably because they only had so much time and had to bring up more conflict on the balance? But also because while the three had good friendship chemistry, the romantic chemistry wasn't quite there? Not a deal-breaker in either case, but kind of glaring to me. Wink Good example!

Some people brought up the lack of chemistry between Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut. I haven't seen it, but I've heard about it famously.

The subject of "chemistry" is a fascinating one to me. Some characters/actors (even if they aren't "romantic" per se, or written romantically) just teem with it on screen, and others can't even generate a bit of heat. And I have to think that casting directors and producers are always going for that, so I have to wonder at the times that it doesn't happen. Do they just think, "screw it, we've already produced it"? Are they annoyed when audiences jump on or "ship" other characters together that they hadn't planned because of this visible "chemistry"? And why is certain chemistry visible to some and not others?

For instance, I love Anna Torv, and I'm charmed by Joshua Jackson. I really liked the story of Fringe, but I really had to work to believe their chemistry, and it mostly only worked on an intellectual level for me. As one example. But I thing my best tv-watching friend thought they were the cutest thing ever.

PostPosted: 09/13/13 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: Harry and Ginny; Ron and Hermione

Keep in mind, except for the flash forward at the end of the last movie, we really only see both couples as unsexualized teenagers, so you're not really going to see "chemistry" per se, but rather the budding of awkward young love. In that respect, I think they nailed it.

Never realized there were so many Potter nerds on Rebkell, though I can't say I'm surprised - we're everywhere, just it's not always safe to come out.

gpark33

PostPosted: 09/13/13 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't take Michelle Rodriguez being paired with any man seriously. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/14/13 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:

Idea THIS.

but, as far as the fast and furious series goes... just the nature of a true car chick made it at least believable (mostly).

pilight

PostPosted: 09/14/13 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:

If she was a better actress she could make people believe it.

PostPosted: 09/24/13 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'm a Fast & Furious geek, so my eyeballs nearly popped out when I saw "Dom and Letty" on this list. I love them as a couple. Shocked

also, it's weird, I've never liked Ron and Hermione as a couple, because I thought Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson had such natural chemistry on screen ...so, I enjoyed Harry and Hermione's "alone" time in HP 7... (squeee!) I think part of this could have been the way "Ron" was written by the screenwriters. They didn't do his character any favors in the last 3 HP films. Laughing

and, lastly part of the Padme and Anakin hot mess was due to Hayden Christensen is such a terrible actor. he was so bad, it was distracting Laughing

on tv today, I would like to add "Annie and Auggie' from Covert Affairs. Piper Perabo and Chris Gorham are good actors, but their characters are so much better as platonic friends. Wink

norwester

PostPosted: 09/24/13 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
on tv today, I would like to add "Annie and Auggie' from Covert Affairs. Piper Perabo and Chris Gorham are good actors, but their characters are so much better as platonic friends. Wink

X___________ Good one.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: