RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NFL Superbowl Halftime Show
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/09/13 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:

I know you're just trying to be obnoxious (good job!), but it's so unlike you to be so inaccurate and uninformed.

Yeah, what is up with that, pilight? Wink Are you on some new medication? Those damned statins can be merdur on the brainz. Semi-trollish statements? You haven't lost a step. Wink Wink But flat out WRONG on things? This simply does not compute.

PostPosted: 09/09/13 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

I know you're just trying to be obnoxious (good job!), but it's so unlike you to be so inaccurate and uninformed.

Yeah, what is up with that, pilight? Wink Are you on some new medication? Those damned statins can be merdur on the brainz. Semi-trollish statements? You haven't lost a step. Wink Wink But flat out WRONG on things? This simply does not compute.

EXCELLENT choice (said the old Christian fuddee-duddee)!! Seriously, I like Bruno Mars. He's got that James Brown/Prince vibe going.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/09/13 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a "youth," I like Bruno and his music. But him doing the Super Bowl isn't going to pull me in, like Beyonc did. But hell, I could just stare at Beyonc and it would have been fine. Wink

PostPosted: 09/09/13 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Yes, Bon Jovi sold umpteen million records 30 years ago. They haven't hit the top 10 since 1994. This isn't baseball, the average fan isn't collecting Social Security. They need someone who connects with younger people.

Stick to basketball stats, Pilight. Music clearly isn't your strength.

Bon Jovi's last studio album went to #1, as did the one before it. Neither of those came out 30 years ago (2007 and 2009). And they played MetLife Stadium before -- 6 sold out shows (4 when the stadium opened, and two this past July). They must have been busing them in from the local senior citizen centers since they "fail to connect with younger people," then again when has that mattered -- The Who played the Super Bowl in 2010 and they haven't had a hit since 1981.

Based on the amount of press that the Bruno Mars pick has generated, including a number of articles that say the same thing I've been saying, at least I know I'm not alone with the idea that Mars was a poor choice.

Most everyone thought The Who were a bad choice, made as part of the continuing overreaction to the Justin Timberlake/Janet Jackson fiasco.

The press has been negative about every halftime choice in recent memory. Whatever the NFL chooses, the media is going to say they should have chosen something else.

As for their #1 records, it doesn't change the equation. Ray Conniff and Mitch Miller had #1 albums all through the 60's, it didn't make them any less yesterday's news.

PostPosted: 09/09/13 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The press has been negative about every halftime choice in recent memory. Whatever the NFL chooses, the media is going to say they should have chosen something else.

Who's recent memory? Question

The press called Prince's show one of the best of all time. Not lip-synching, singing Purple Rain, in the rain, was a great show. That was 2007.

Springsteen's running into the camera with his crotch was pretty good too. That was 2009. Razz

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/09/13 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Yes, Bon Jovi sold umpteen million records 30 years ago. They haven't hit the top 10 since 1994. This isn't baseball, the average fan isn't collecting Social Security. They need someone who connects with younger people.

I like this thread because I really learned something. A lot of the media reaction, and my OWN reaction, to the idea of Bruno Mars doing the Super Bowl halftime show has been suck SUCK sucky SUCK SUCK sucks.

But here come people in this thread to say, No, not so fast, this guy is actually very good and this is a good choice etc.

It reminds me of how I feel when people say that Lady Gaga sucks. To which I usually want to respond, 'NO YOU SUCK, MOTHER FUCKER!" But of course, being that these are Facebook friends and family I've known all my life, I can't. Anyway... but you know... I know that Lady Gaga doesn't suck and that these people who call her a no talent are just very poorly informed. Anyway. So it's funny to have the tables turned on yourself this way.

But I'm curious, pilight, why you take this sort of ... demographic almost marketing angle? They need to connect with people under 30, etc. Why even look at music like that? You're always kind of pulling that one out. I know young people. What's your favorite band? Beatles.

Like you disparage The Who. Kids today like rock music. The Who are rock music icons. Is it really going to hurt young people to have to watch The Who... which provides them with a look at classic rockers and allows people who are older a chance to marvel at the idols of their youth? Is it going to kill the DOMINANT music generation to have something else shoved down their throats for 13 minutes? Poor babies.

PostPosted: 09/10/13 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
The Super Bowl is hardly an "international spectacle"

I have not laughed so hard at a post in a long time.

To quote Ja'mie King, "No offense, but its true." It is broadcast live in over 200 countries!

pilight

PostPosted: 09/10/13 6:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
But I'm curious, pilight, why you take this sort of ... demographic almost marketing angle? They need to connect with people under 30, etc. Why even look at music like that?

The Superbowl halftime show isn't about music. It's about marketing. How many records someone sells has very little to do with how good their music is. Britney Spears has had six or seven #1 albums. She still sucks.

PostPosted: 09/10/13 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

To quote Ja'mie King, "No offense, but its true." It is broadcast live in over 200 countries!

This article is a few years old, but still relevant:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/05/super.bowl.viewers.profit/index.html

Basically, just because it's on TV, doesn't mean people are watching it, and as the article points out, many are probably ex-pat Americans.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/10/13 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

This article is a few years old, but still relevant:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/05/super.bowl.viewers.profit/index.html

Basically, just because it's on TV, doesn't mean people are watching it, and as the article points out, many are probably ex-pat Americans.

Even though the Super Bowl is shown in other countries, I really do not know how many non-Americans take an interest in American football, the annual London Bowl (an NFL regular-season game played in England) notwithstanding.

I realize that there Americans who are visiting other countries (either on business or on vacation), or are in the U.S. Armed Forces who happen to be stationed overseas. But aside from them, I really do not know what the international interest would be for the NFL.

I recall that there was a "World League of American Football" in the late-1980's or early-1990's, which had three European teams and eight American teams. And a few years later, there was NFL Europe with teams known as the London Monarchs, and a team in Barcelona, Spain and Frankfurt, Germany.

I doubt that you will see a full-time NFL franchise originating somewhere overseas.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/10/13 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
I doubt that you will see a full-time NFL franchise originating somewhere overseas.

The travel would make it pretty much impossible. The teams that play in London now get their bye weeks right afterward.

PostPosted: 09/10/13 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bravo for bruno. that guy knows music. and musicality.

those other deadbeats y'all mentioned? i'd rather watch the puppy bowl, too.

only other person i can think of who'd make me tune in is christina aguilera. she could sing the phone book, far as i'm concerned.

PostPosted: 09/10/13 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

only other person i can think of who'd make me tune in is christina aguilera. she could sing the phone book, far as i'm concerned.

Timberlake and Usher are good performers too.

But overall, I think it's pretty clear Pepsi is going with current pop performers over older musicians.

PostPosted: 09/10/13 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
sambista wrote:

Timberlake and Usher are good performers too. I'd like to see Gaga, but something tells me the majority of NFL fans aren't Gaga fans.

But overall, I think it's pretty clear Pepsi is going with current pop performers over older musicians.

There is no chance that the NFL will bring back Timberlake. He was the one who actually used the phrase "wardrobe malfunction" to describe what happened between him and Janet Jackson.

PostPosted: 09/11/13 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
sambista wrote:

Timberlake and Usher are good performers too. I'd like to see Gaga, but something tells me the majority of NFL fans aren't Gaga fans.

There is no chance that the NFL will bring back Timberlake. He was the one who actually used the phrase "wardrobe malfunction" to describe what happened between him and Janet Jackson.

Well yes. There's no chance ever. But it's a shame because he can put on a show too.

PostPosted: 09/20/13 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Petition up on change.org asking the NFL to allow the band GWAR to perform the 2015 Super Bowl halftime show.

Now I can guarantee that would be one show I would never miss. So freaking awesome. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/20/13 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Petition up on change.org asking the NFL to allow the band GWAR to perform the 2015 Super Bowl halftime show.

Now I can guarantee that would be one show I would never miss. So freaking awesome. Laughing

Do they have any songs they can perform on TV? Laughing

Even though they're not local, they would be a fun choice.

PostPosted: 09/20/13 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Holy shit, that would be so freaking awesome! Shocked

norwester

PostPosted: 09/20/13 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

M.I.A. battling NFL over middle finger in Super Bowl halftime show

Quote:
Casual viewers of NBC's live telecast could easily have missed the gesture and mouthed obscenity, which lasted only a second before the cameras cut away...league officials, who remember the outrage over Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" at the 2004 Super Bowl, have had long memories this time.

Last edited by norwester on 09/20/13 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barrister15

PostPosted: 09/20/13 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

If they had a problem with Janet Jackson's nipple, I can't imagine the reaction to Flattus Maximus' codpiece.

PhoenixxLily
I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 09/22/13 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Well, at least he's younger than the other post-wardrobe-malfunction choices. The last time the Superbowl halftime show had a headliner under 30 was 1998 when Boyz II Men got the gig.

enter pilight with the math... Laughing you just make it so sexy Twisted Evil

pilight

PostPosted: 09/27/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
sambista wrote:

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/justin-timberlake-finalizing-super-bowl-halftime-show-deal-w505599

Quote:
the 10-time Grammy winner — who’s currently working on his fifth solo album — has been asked to take the stage at the NFL championship in Minneapolis on February 4

PostPosted: 09/27/17 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
sambista wrote:

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/justin-timberlake-finalizing-super-bowl-halftime-show-deal-w505599

Quote:
the 10-time Grammy winner — who’s currently working on his fifth solo album — has been asked to take the stage at the NFL championship in Minneapolis on February 4

And Janet Jackson is still in exile.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/27/17 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:
With all the amazing acts associated with the NY/NJ area, they choose Bruno Mars? Couldn't they have gotten Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Billy Joel or anyone else from the host stadium's region?

Springsteen just did the show in 2009.

The halftime performer is not usually someone local. Beyonce is not from Louisiana. Madonna is not from Indiana. The Black Eyed Peas are not from Texas. The Who and Bruce Springsteen are not from Florida. Tom Petty is not from Arizona.

The last time a local artist was the headliner at the Superbowl halftime was 1990, when Pete Fountain got top billing in New Orleans.

That reminds me of last year when guitarist Carlos Santana wrote an open letter on his Facebook page to the NFL. He wished that San Francisco Bay Area singers/bands should've performed on the halftime show during Super Bowl 50 at Lev'si Stadium in Santa Clara:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/carlos-santana-super-bowl/

Carlos Santana's Facebook message from Feb. 2016:

Quote:
Carlos Santana
February 9, 2016

Dear NFL/CBS....I would like to take this opportunity to thank you both for including me as a part of your Super Bowl entertainment. I do feel compelled to point out to you that the Halftime Show should have included some of the local iconic bands that the World would have loved to see perform. Bands like Metallica, Steve Miller, Journey and yours truly. We would have rocked the Half Time Show and done the SF Bay Area proud. This is just an invitation for you to consider iconic bands as part of your Half Time entertainment. Real live music, real live vocals, and give the audience real live chills.

Carlos Santana

Estimados NFL/CBS....Me gustaría aprovechar esta oportunidad para agradecer a ambos que me incluyeran como parte del entretenimiento de la Super Bowl. Me siento obligado a señalar que el espectáculo del descanso del partido debería haber incluido a algunas de las icónicas bandas locales que a todo el mundo le habría encantado ver actuar. Bandas como Metallica, Steve Miller, Journey y quien les habla. Habríamos hecho estremecer el espectáculo del descanso y habríamos enorgullecido al área de SF Bay. Esto es tan solo una invitación para que consideren a las bandas icónicas como parte de su entretenimiento del descanso del partido. Música real en vivo, voz real en vivo y estremecer realmente a la audiencia en vivo.
Carlos

160K Likes 9.3K Comments 60K Shares

To which, the group Journey replied in response...

Quote:
February 9, 2016

https://www.facebook.com/carlossantana/posts/10153494695416359

Thank You Carlos Very Happy and yes we would have all Rocked it !

Usually, the Super Bowl Halftime Show is sponsored by a corporate entity. And the lineup goes with what the marketing and advertising execs want to attract certain performers.

PostPosted: 09/27/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
sambista wrote:

Quote:

And Janet Jackson is still in exile.

Not exactly. She is currently on tour.

http://www.janetjackson.com/tour

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: