RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

April McDivitt trying for WNBA again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbjules

PostPosted: 04/02/05 11:58 am    ::: April McDivitt trying for WNBA again Reply Reply with quote

From the Santa Barbarar News Press:

Quote:
April McDivitt's first year as a coach has not quenched her desire to keep playing basketball.

The UCSB assistant has signed a free-agent contract with the Minnesota Lynx and will report to the WNBA team's training camp April 24.

"I'll come in a lot more fresh than I did last year," McDivitt said by telephone from Indianapolis, where she is attending the women's Final Four.

McDivitt tried out for the New York Liberty last year after she finished her college playing career at UCSB. The 5-foot-7 point guard averaged 8.3 points, 4.4 assists and 3.2 rebounds for the Gauchos. She scored a career-high 20 points in their final game against Connecticut.

The Liberty gave McDivitt a good look but released her before the regular season. She subsequently was hired by UCSB when longtime assistant Cori Close departed to take a position at Florida State.

McDivitt said the WNBA season will not interfere with her coaching duties.

"I've been playing a lot of basketball in the last month," McDivitt said, "mostly pickup games against guys."

Minnesota's Suzie McConnell Serio was named the 2004 WNBA Coach of Year after guiding the Lynx into the playoffs with an 18-16 record.

"She's a little 5-6 point guard," McDivitt said of McConnell Serio, who set an NCAA assist record at Penn State and won two Olympic medals. "Maybe that will help me out."

Three other former Gauchos are on WNBA rosters -- Kayte Christensen and Lindsay Taylor with the Phoenix Mercury, and Erin Buescher with the Sacramento Monarchs. Kristen Mann, the All-America senior on this year's team, is projected as a possible selection in the WNBA draft on April 16.

"It would be great if Kristen and I could be teammates again," McDivitt said.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: