RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Liberty @ Lynx - 8/18/13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/19/13 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Bill is having flashbacks to his playing days. He doesn't have the disciples on his team to carry out his evil deed. PP has mellowed... She is not going to fuck up her reputation again...especially for this dude.

Kelsey Bone sets questionable screens, Kara Braxton can be relied upon to do something dumb and dangerous at least once a game, Katie Smith has a tendency to hip-check people who annoy her, Plenette still hooks arms, and did you forget that we signed D-Nasty?

PostPosted: 08/19/13 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Liberty fan, just want to say that any coach who makes a statement like that should be suspended. My team's coach, any team's coach. And to the extent that this type of thinking has traditionally been part of various men's sports, it should be eliminated from men's sports and not extended to women's sports. It's sick and a vivid reminder of all that's wrong in the world of sports.

I hope that no player from EITHER team is hurt when the Liberty play the Lynx again.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
As a Liberty fan, just want to say that any coach who makes a statement like that should be suspended. My team's coach, any team's coach. And to the extent that this type of thinking has traditionally been part of various men's sports, it should be eliminated from men's sports and not extended to women's sports. It's sick and a vivid reminder of all that's wrong in the world of sports.

I hope that no player from EITHER team is hurt when the Liberty play the Lynx again.

In my earlier post I mentioned that women are much nicer than men (thank heavens for that), but many commenters seem to have little knowledge of how professional sports are played. In baseball, for instance, if a batter hits a home run and then postures in the batting box, you better believe that the next time up a ball is aimed for his head. Part of this code involves respect for the other team. By leaving her starters in a non-competitive 4th quarter,Reeve is breaking the code. Lambeer, albeit perhaps a bit crudely, is letting his good friend and former colleague know it.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/19/13 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

In my earlier post I mentioned that women are much nicer than men (thank heavens for that), but many commenters seem to have little knowledge of how professional sports are played. In baseball, for instance, if a batter hits a home run and then postures in the batting box, you better believe that the next time up a ball is aimed for his head. Part of this code involves respect for the other team. By leaving her starters in a non-competitive 4th quarter,Reeve is breaking the code. Lambeer, albeit perhaps a bit crudely, is letting his good friend and former colleague know it.

If someone on the Lib had fouled her hard at the end it would bother me less than him saying she should get hurt. It's an unspoken (and unwritten) rule.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Lol. Yeah right. Ask Gregg Williams and various Saints players about their bounty program and resultant suspensions. Obviously this is not the same thing exactly, but if this was a mainstream sport Laimbeer would likely have a multigame suspension as a result of the media coverage. In this instance, the lack of mainstream coverage likely works in his favor. Many unwritten rules have changed in men's sports. Hockey has an instigator rule for fighting and all sorts of suspendables for head contact much of which is recently instituted. Years ago everyone would have laughed at suspensions for an nfl bounty. In baseball there's warnings and suspensions for headhunting on a more frequent basis than in the past. The WNBA would be no exception if this were to receive more public attention.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/19/13 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right at this moment I really don't care if we make the playoffs. I'll take the higher pick just fine. And as for Nolan she was rumored to be in that domestic violence incident. If that's true you can take this whole mess of "we're stronger and we will bully you into submission" and stick it. I don't want a team of dysfunctionals. I would rather lose a few more games next year and take pride in my team. So disgusted.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/19/13 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did not see the game and am going off the play-by-play page. It looks to me like New York took out starters with about 4:30 left and Minny countered by taking out Augustus and Whalen. Since it was the seldom-used rookie playing point, she kept Maya in for one more minute to make sure things were stable and then took her out with 3:42 left. She'd otherwise played the whole game.

I'm having a hard time understanding what the big deal is. Since when is the winning team supposed to take out all their starters and let the other side leave theirs in? Reeve did the exact same thing in their win over Atlanta: keep the starters in to roughly match who the other side had on the floor. Then, leave Maya in a little longer to make sure the benchies coalesce and take her out later - where "later" was :45 game time and 3:42 left in the game. I'm also having a hard time understanding why folks are saying this is a departure from standard practice. Reeve has always played her starters heavy minutes especially if she felt they needed the work to get on the same page.

The only thing that was wrong was Bill's comments suggesting she was doing anything out of the ordinary and of any possible consequences. Chalk that up to a frustrated coach who is realizing that getting the band back together was not the thing to do when the band is old.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/19/13 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree. It's not a big deal. The problem is we have a coach with a type A alpha male personality. What can come with that is emotion, the displacement of blame and lack of accountability. And everyone knows he's down his two best players. Chalk it up to that and move on. Unfortunately chalking it up is not a part of Bills makeup. In this instance to his detriment.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/19/13 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone feel it would be a proper gesture for Bill to issue an apology on Rebkell? Without this community who's to say of this would have even received the attention it has gotten? And since he is a part of the community...

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/19/13 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
Does anyone feel it would be a proper gesture for Bill to issue an apology on Rebkell? Without this community who's to say of this would have even received the attention it has gotten? And since he is a part of the community...

Considering this community got the information from a press person's tweet, I think the rest of the world is doing just fine with the awareness piece. Don't get too impressed with yourselves: most of the press folks I've talked to get their information from other sources and don't even follow rebkell.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/19/13 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

Considering this community got the information from a press person's tweet, I think the rest of the world is doing just fine with the awareness piece. Don't get too impressed with yourselves: most of the press folks I've talked to get their information from other sources and don't even follow rebkell.

In which case, we've fallen from what we once were, and that makes me sad. There was a time when this was the best place to get information even before the press got it.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

Ervin put it into an article, as well, by the way: http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/wnba/minnesota-lynx/story/Laimbeer-says-Moore-should-get-hurt-for-?blockID=930635

Not much more there than there was in the tweets to be honest, but make it a bit more 'official', I guess.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

Well considering few people outside of twitter would even know...I didn't know who Phil Ervin is.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/19/13 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

In which case, we've fallen from what we once were, and that makes me sad. There was a time when this was the best place to get information even before the press got it.

The fact that we all got it from a few tweets and 1 article still says something I'd say. Or just to say I've received info I wouldn't have known about otherwise. And in the past 5 years I've gotten some extremely interesting info via PM, which I'm sure several of us have. Stuff that I wouldn't share. Particularly in '07, '08 and '09 but not limited to that.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/19/13 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Not much more there than there was in the tweets to be honest, but make it a bit more 'official', I guess.

The article allows the quote to come up in people's Google Alerts, the place where most fans and reporters get their information.. Idea

pilight

PostPosted: 08/19/13 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

The press has gotten better.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

The fact that we all got it from a few tweets and 1 article still says something I'd say. Or just to say I've received info I wouldn't have known about otherwise. And in the past 5 years I've gotten some extremely interesting info via PM, which I'm sure several of us have. Stuff that I wouldn't share. Particularly in '07, '08 and '09 but not limited to that.

But that wasn't your point. Your point was that it was rebkell who deserves the apologies because they were the ones who shone a light on it and gave it attention. And my point is that YOU may have found out about it here but many other people use other sources and found out about it from them. I'm not bashing rebs as a source of information but saying that we no longer are the only place to go to get it. While the .com still stinks, places like hoopfeed.com and lovewomensbasketball.com provide pretty timely and up-to-date information that also has the benefit of coming from professional reporters (so there is a certain assumption of proper research).

There are a number of people on here who have their own ways of getting information and it makes for quite a good information source. But there's also a lot of shading and opinion and downright snark presented by us non-professionals. That's what a forum is.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/19/13 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

But that wasn't your point. Your point was that it was rebkell who deserves the apologies because they were the ones who shone a light on it and gave it attention. And my point is that YOU may have found out about it here but many other people use other sources and found out about it from them. I'm not bashing rebs as a source of information but saying that we no longer are the only place to go to get it. While the .com still stinks, places like hoopfeed.com and lovewomensbasketball.com provide pretty timely and up-to-date information that also has the benefit of coming from professional reporters (so there is a certain assumption of proper research).

There are a number of people on here who have their own ways of getting information and it makes for quite a good information source. But there's also a lot of shading and opinion and downright snark presented by us non-professionals. That's what a forum is.

Um no. Never did I say rebkell shone a light on it. It has in fact gotten more attention because there is a community of people to receive the information. And since this is pretty much the main WNBA community AND Laimbeer posts here anyway, I don't see what part of my post is unreasonable. If you want to argue semantics fine. But that doesn't change the point. If he wanted to issue a public apology (doubt he'd care) is there a place he can reach a larger proportion of WNBA fans than rebkell?

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/19/13 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Bill is having flashbacks to his playing days. He doesn't have the disciples on his team to carry out his evil deed. PP has mellowed... She is not going to fuck up her reputation again...especially for this dude.

She has been straightened out by three players who all stood up to her earlier nonsense: CP3, Ebony Hoffman, and Tina Thompson. Laughing
Haha. I think Miss Tina was the final straw. PP tried that armlocking thing she use to do to piss people off, and bit off more than she could chew. I think she missed like a good chunk of the season due to injury afterwards.

jap

PostPosted: 08/19/13 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
jap wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

She has been straightened out by three players who all stood up to her earlier nonsense: CP3, Ebony Hoffman, and Tina Thompson. Laughing
Haha. I think Miss Tina was the final straw. PP tried that armlocking thing she use to do to piss people off, and bit off more than she could chew. I think she missed like a good chunk of the season due to injury afterwards.

Yeah, both Ebony and TT disabled her. Ace only got in one punch before Twitty settled down on her. I believe Ebony was fined and maybe suspended for her response. Tina is just a smooth veteran who knows ALL the tricks of the trade, and she made out like it was all an unfortunate accident. TT wasn't even fined or suspended. The moral at the time was: don't screw with the damn Sparks! (although Ebony wasn't a Spark when she flipped Plennette over). Wink

PostPosted: 08/19/13 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

Um no. Never did I say rebkell shone a light on it. It has in fact gotten more attention because there is a community of people to receive the information. And since this is pretty much the main WNBA community AND Laimbeer posts here anyway, I don't see what part of my post is unreasonable. If you want to argue semantics fine. But that doesn't change the point. If he wanted to issue a public apology (doubt he'd care) is there a place he can reach a larger proportion of WNBA fans than rebkell?

Hoopfeed. The WNBA twitter account. wnba.com. Issue a press release. Seriously, how many posters do we have on this site for this wnba season? 100? If that represents the MAIN WNBA community then that is sad.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/19/13 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

Hoopfeed. The WNBA twitter account. wnba.com. Issue a press release. Seriously, how many posters do we have on this site for this wnba season? 100? If that represents the MAIN WNBA community then that is sad.

Yet, the Laimbeer quote about Moore being injured didn't make hoopfeed, or the WNBA twitter account, or wnba.com. But it made its way to Rebkell by virtue of a poster alert enough to share it with us.

We regularly have info on here before it's made public. Avery Warley being cut by the Liberty made it on here a good 48 hours before it was made public. The possibility of Prahalis being picked up by NY was discussed before it actually happened...because here we already knew Warley had been waived. People were arguing with me on the Liberty facebook page about it. It was pretty funny because I was the only one who knew about it out of the Liberty FB posters on that particular day, even though it was common knowledge here. Courtesy of PD I believe.

Nothing on lovewomensbasketball either. Not so much as 1 comment beneath the one paragraph write-up of the game.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/19/13 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

I've been watching lots of professional sports for most of my 66 years. I am all too aware of how professional sports are played. I detest the sick traditions of professional sports--so central to the worst of the culture of dumb, sadistic guys who play and love sports and to our insane, misogynistic notions of "masculinity." Yes, this is how it's been. We can do better. Sports does NOT have to reflect the worst of our dumbest, most sadistic guys (or women who accept those terrible values).

PostPosted: 08/19/13 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding apologies, I don't believe that Bill Laimbeer should apologize on Rebkell. I believe he should apologize at a press conference at Madison Square Garden.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Regarding apologies, I don't believe that Bill Laimbeer should apologize on Rebkell. I believe he should apologize at a press conference at Madison Square Garden.

You think he should wait until next season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: