Liberty @ Lynx - 8/18/13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/18/13 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sunsting wrote:
Interesting quote from Bill after the game:

Quote:
`Overall we competed to a point,'' Laimbeer said. ``I was a little disappointed they left Maya Moore in the game to try to get player of the week again when the game was out of control.''

http://www.wnba.com/games/20130818/NYLMIN/gameinfo.html#nbaGIlive
was this a shot at reeve?

Bill doesn't know that out of all the starters Maya is usually the first to get a break. And usually to last starter to be pulled in a blowout.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/19/13 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:

Phil Ervin‏@PhilErvin1h
Just to be clear, Laimbeer was NOT joking when he said Moore should've been hurt for staying in so long.

Not cool at all.

Last edited by mavcarter on 08/19/13 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/19/13 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
sunsting wrote:

Quote:
`Overall we competed to a point,'' Laimbeer said. ``I was a little disappointed they left Maya Moore in the game to try to get player of the week again when the game was out of control.''

wnba.com was being nice w/only part of his reported quote. Will see what some of the reporters write but it seem he basically called out Reeve and put a bounty out on M. Moore for being in the game too long. If you can't beat 'em, then just hurt 'em Mad Not cool in my book Twisted Evil not cool at all.

Quote:
Phil Ervin‏@PhilErvin2h
Inflammatory quote from Bill Laimbeer after tonight's game: "I was a little disappointed when they left Maya Moore in the game to try and...

Phil Ervin‏@PhilErvin1h
...get player of the week again when the game was out of control. She should get hurt for that." #Lynx

Phil Ervin‏@PhilErvin1h
Just to be clear, Laimbeer was NOT joking when he said Moore should've been hurt for staying in so long.

With that quote, I'm now changing my vote for POW to Maya. Go Lynx Twisted Evil Laughing

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/19/13 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
sunsting wrote:

Quote:

wnba.com was being nice w/only part of his reported quote. Will see what some of the reporters write but it seem he basically called out Reeve and put a bounty out on M. Moore for being in the game too long. If you can't beat 'em, then just hurt 'em Mad Not cool in my book Twisted Evil not cool at all.

Quote:
Phil Ervin‏@PhilErvin2h
Inflammatory quote from Bill Laimbeer after tonight's game: "I was a little disappointed when they left Maya Moore in the game to try and...

Phil Ervin‏@PhilErvin1h
...get player of the week again when the game was out of control. She should get hurt for that." #Lynx

Phil Ervin‏@PhilErvin1h

Can you please link this? I can't find it. If this is true I'm really not pleased. You could make the argument that it's an offense that warrants him being terminated. I'm sure in pro sports coaches somewhere or other have said this sort of thing but nothing comes immediately to mind. Regardless it's very unprofessional. And not that gender is the be all and end all of the discussion, but it comes across as especially ugly when a 6'10" man says something like this about a woman.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/19/13 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
Can you please link this? I can't find it.

Those tweets are all on the guy's twitter page here: https://twitter.com/PhilErvin
The "She should get hurt for that" line, assuming it's accurate, is a really stupid, over-the-line thing to say. An NBA coach would get fined for saying that, and the WNBA ought to do the same.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 3:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ervin also said this:

Quote:
New York's players have been all over each other tonight. Lots of peer criticism, to put it lightly.

I have a feeling this isn't going to turn out well.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/19/13 3:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What Bill said about hurting Moore was not right.But at least he's showing some emotion.You have 1 coach in the East who looks like she's comatose.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/19/13 4:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/CheeseCurdsWI/status/369282178263175168

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/19/13 5:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill's an emotional guy Im sure if they played today or tuesday there could be trouble but there's close to a week between games and an intervening game with CT and if the other report (of infighting) is true he's got his own issues so I don't fret that much except that he does need to be fined no room for that in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont get why he whines about Maya being in so late when Whalen and Augustus were in the game a minute before Maya was pulled out of the game. Complain about Reeve having starters in but why only complain about Maya. Was it because she was the topscorer of the game or that she shot 6 3pointers against you

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/19/13 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, if Cheryl Reeve learned to be a cutthroat, take no prisoners, show no quarter, pile it on, never let up bitch as a coach... it was probably from Bill Laimbeer. So the more I think about it, the more he he really needs to STFU and sit all the way down.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Also, if Cheryl Reeve learned to be a cutthroat, take no prisoners, show no quarter, pile it on, never let up bitch as a coach... it was probably from Bill Laimbeer. So the more I think about it, the more he he really needs to STFU and sit all the way down.

Yeah really. He told Ivory Latta years ago "we don't let up here" late in a blowout in favor of Detroit years back. Talk about hypocritical.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/19/13 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there any precedent for this in the WNBA? He's getting suspended for at least a game right? I know they fine you quite a bit just for complaining about the refs.

canadaball

PostPosted: 08/19/13 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been noting all year that Reeve's substitution pattern in noncompetitive games is very unusual. Last night, in a game where Cappy was out, the 4th quarter should have been time for the Lynx bench, yet for much of the period, Whalen, Augustus, and Moore were still on the court. I have watched plenty of pro basketball, and can never remember a coach who, unnecessarily, leaves key players in games. This, from a team which acknowledges that fatigue was a big factor in last year's playoff debacle.

Lambeer, of course, went over the line talking injury, but he has sure been around a long time. There are some unspoken rules in sports, and Reeve is sure pressing the bounds. Women are much nicer than men, but. in the NBA, if Lebron was playing the same major minutes as Maya did last night in a blowout, I think there would be some excess physicality.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/19/13 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
I have been noting all year that Reeve's substitution pattern in noncompetitive games is very unusual. Last night, in a game where Cappy was out, the 4th quarter should have been time for the Lynx bench, yet for much of the period, Whalen, Augustus, and Moore were still on the court. I have watched plenty of pro basketball, and can never remember a coach who, unnecessarily, leaves key players in games. This, from a team which acknowledges that fatigue was a big factor in last year's playoff debacle.

And all year long people have been pointing out just how wrong you are.

Once again, the only player on the team to see extended playing time (to speak to your "fatigue" issue) was Maya Moore. A young player who plays a relatively short overseas season in China. Every other player was held to 30 minutes or less (Whalen played the second longest at 30:39).

Maya got the extra time because Amber Harris is in the dog-house/is horrendous. There isn't a fan who doesn't cringe the moment they see the Shambling Mound come onto the floor--even in a blowout. Since Reeve didn't want to give those extra minutes to either of the two posts coming off injury, she played Maya longer. This is one of those things which I would classify as "no big deal".

And then you figure that with the Lynx hitting a bit of a rough patch as of late, there is good reason why Reeve would want to play her starters and not pull them exceptionally early, even though the game was clearly won.
This game demonstrated exactly what you need to do to get playing time. Jarry hadn't seen much, but was put in and played smart team basketball while hitting her shots. She was rewarded with extended minutes.

To note, Jarry has made this possible by continuing to work hard in practice. She noted that 3pt shooting has never been one of her strengths, but for a WNBA wing you need to be able to hit them. So, she said she shoots over 200 of them each and every day.

And yes, what Bill said was dumb beyond belief. I assume it was just the emotion of the game speaking, but it still has no place in basketball. A fine/suspension would be warranted, imo, providing what was reported was an accurate account of what he said.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a fan of the losing team, I couldn't have cared less that Maya Moore was in the game, and I doubt many other Liberty fans are all that torn up over it. Why she was in this particular game at that point of the game is totally beyond me...as in why would Reeve play her 36 minutes in such an obviously one-sided affair? I guess she is trying to have her team maintain intensity for all 40 minutes because she felt like that was an issue last year as well as some games this year. Still...30 point game with a handful of minutes left...head scratcher.

But as far as being upset from a Liberty perspective the way to avoid that situation is be competitive. And right now the main issue is saying that a player on the opposing team deserved to be injured. There's no room for that. I've been defending Laimbeer for weeks. Now I am starting to wonder why I bothered. I'm not a fan of that type of emotion. It makes me wonder whether he can possibly succeed with anything less than an elite level team in terms of talent. Knowing him, he's likely to ultimately get there. Is anyone better at building at a team? Probably not. But this reminds me of the time when Rick Mahorn was on the sideline stamping his foot and yelling as Loree Moore took a 3 from the corner. There's things that are just totally classless and this is in that category. If you have to resort to something like Mahorn was doing back then, or they cross your mind, it's overshadowing what you are there for. To coach and teach. And there's lots of young players on this team who need it. Not to mention he has now left himself vulnerable to suspension (though it appears the WNBA will try to sweep it under the rug if the .com story is an indicator) getting upset over something meaningless in the big picture. With two people on the bench with zero WNBA head coaching experience and not all that much assistant coaching experience. Stupid, selfish thing to do. Straight up. There's no other way to look at it.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/19/13 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
Why she was in this particular game at that point of the game is totally beyond me...as in why would Reeve play her 36 minutes in such an obviously one-sided affair?

The reasons are two-fold:

1) Maya's career high is 29 points. Most coaches will reward their players who perform well with the opportunity to hit statistical milestones. The same reason a player pushing a triple-double will still see playing time in a blowout win.

2) Amber Harris is in Reeve's doghouse. Harris has sucked so badly, with no apparent desire to get better, that Reeve doesn't want to reward her with playing time until she proves something. With two of the Lynx's posts coming off injury (Brunson was playing limited minutes), Maya was really the only other option in the post, unless she was willing to play Harris.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
What Bill said about hurting Moore was not right.But at least he's showing some emotion.You have 1 coach in the East who looks like she's comatose.

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/19/13 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, if Bill implodes, will the Liberty end up with their 5th head coach in six years? Who would that even be? Shocked Crying or Very sad

And if you're Cappie, would you want to come back?

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/19/13 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not as extreme as canadaball about this, but I do think playing Maya so long in a blowout is inexcusable. If Harris is THAT bad that you can't play her in a blowout, then cut her ass and get a player that you CAN play.

But yeah, Bill went over the top with the injury comment. Though I'm always worried that a player will get hurt in junk time too.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/19/13 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill deserves to fined, if not suspended, for what he said about Maya. I'm sorry, you don't publically state that a player should be hurt for something.

PostPosted: 08/19/13 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah that comment sounds like something an enforcer from an NBA team in the eighties with a bad boy reputation would say, not a WNBA coach, oh wait...

But seriously you can't say stuff like that I think being suspended or fined seems like the right action. TBH it sounds like BL needs a day off.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/19/13 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill is having flashbacks to his playing days. He doesn't have the disciples on his team to carry out his evil deed. PP has mellowed... She is not going to fuck up her reputation again...especially for this dude.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/19/13 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Yeah really. He told Ivory Latta years ago "we don't let up here" late in a blowout in favor of Detroit years back. Talk about hypocritical.

Telling a rookie who barely played to not let up is a lot different then having Maya Moore in the game in a blow out. If it were Katie Smith or Cheryl Ford he told that to I think it would be a more reasonable comparison.

But if what he said is true and it was in a non-joking way it was inappropriate and should be punished by a fine or suspension. Having not been at the press conference I don't know exactly what he said and in what context he said it, just going based off the quotes that have been posted in this thread.

jap

PostPosted: 08/19/13 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Bill is having flashbacks to his playing days. He doesn't have the disciples on his team to carry out his evil deed. PP has mellowed... She is not going to fuck up her reputation again...especially for this dude.

She has been straightened out by three players who all stood up to her earlier nonsense: CP3, Ebony Hoffman, and Tina Thompson. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: