RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

All American Picks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koopster

PostPosted: 02/23/06 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
After what I witnessed in the first and second half at the Carrier dome last night, there is no player in the nation that is more important to her team than Strother. We are just so much better with her on the floor, it isn't even close. Ann gets a raw deal, and it's not fair. She is incredible.

I think Courtney Paris and Sophia Young have stronger arguments regarding team importance, given their respective supporting casts as compared to UConn.

I agree as well. Ann is without doubt a great player, but she is also one of 8 McDonald AA's recruited in the last 4 years. Baylor has none, and Oklahoma has jut the twins. Recruiting is far from an exact science, and I know UCONN has had some tough luck with injuries et al...but Ann has been surrounded by great talent from the beginning. Paris, for example deals with double/triple teams every night.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/23/06 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn looked like a bunch of lost puppies out there without Strother on the floor. It was pathetic.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/23/06 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
UConn looked like a bunch of lost puppies out there without Strother on the floor. It was pathetic.

Whether that is true or not, Syracuse is not exactly a world-beater. Ann has had a good year, but nearly as dominant and as important to their respective teams as Courtney Paris and Sophia Young.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/23/06 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ryan2528 wrote:

Whether that is true or not, Syracuse is not exactly a world-beater. Ann has had a good year, but nearly as dominant and as important to their respective teams as Courtney Paris and Sophia Young.

Importance also doesn't signify All American status. To push it a little, where would ND be without Duffy? NC State Stansbury?

AA has to reflect overall skills and results as well, and, as a UConn fan, Ann comes up short.

Keegan

PostPosted: 02/23/06 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Davenport is the likely Big 10 POY. Hard to leave her off...unless she is Shameka Christon, circa 2004.

Especially when she is getting 19 on 64 percent shooting. She is also averaging close to 10 rebounds a game, but I can't find the exact number.

Her numbers are similar to when she was a first-team AA last year, and her team is better than they were last year.

After what I witnessed in the first and second half at the Carrier dome last night, there is no player in the nation that is more important to her team than Strother. We are just so much better with her on the floor, it isn't even close. Ann gets a raw deal, and it's not fair. She is incredible.

Depends on your criteria for AA. Mine is good numbers against good competition and team success doesn't hurt. The ephemeral "importance to team" factor doesn't rank highly in my book. Ann's numbers are pretty good but I think there are ten players more worthy out there than her.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/23/06 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTS, my response was in a debate with Bart (see the end of page two discussing importance to the team).

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/23/06 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
DTS, my response was in a debate with Bart (see the end of page two discussing importance to the team).

I understand that; I was agreeing with you.

Sorry, I'll go back to the children's table....

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/23/06 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I understand that; I was agreeing with you.

Sorry, I'll go back to the children's table....

Go find the Afikomen.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/23/06 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Importance also doesn't signify All American status. To push it a little, where would ND be without Duffy? NC State Stansbury?

Without Duffy, ND wouldn't have more than a handful of wins.

Without Stansbury, NC State might have more conference wins. Stansbury of last season isn't the same as Stansbury of this season. Billie McDowell, in my opinion, runs that ship. If she's on, they're hard to beat. If she's off, NC State is in a lot of trouble.

Mathies to LA 2013
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/23/06 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ryan2528 wrote:

Which made it all the more worse. Syracuse is LAST in the BE and UConn trailed them at the half.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/23/06 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I disagree, Ann is important to her team...

But no way should a lineup of Renee, Mel, Kalana, Charde, and Crockett be getting beat by Syracuse. The fact that Strother wasn't playing had nothing to do with the rest of the team, minus Mel..whom was decent..sucking.

The difference between the first half and the second, was in the first half, Uconn was basically playing 1 on 5...And all Syracuse had to do was defend Mel..(not the hardest chore..)

Where as in the second half, Crockett..Turner, and Renee..all played well, and several other players played decent.

PostPosted: 02/23/06 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hence, my point. Ann did that for one game; Courtney Paris and Sophia Young have done it all season.

No one was saying Ann isn't important to her team. But the most important player (to her team) in the country? Not quite.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/23/06 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear (the spacing was a bit weird..)

I was disagreeing with people who were saying that Uconn was getting beat because Ann wasn't there/ Ann is the most important player too her team..She's not. I'm not even sure if she's the most important player to Uconn..(I think Charde and Renee make a pretty strong case..and to some extent Mel and Brittany..all the games Mel have played crappy in, Uconn has lost..And Uconn would be 10X better if Brittany was playing back to the way she was before her knee swelled up.) Basically what I'm saying is Uconn is made up of a team of pretty good players. And in order to win a big game, most of them have to show up)

PostPosted: 02/28/06 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
No way Monique Currie doesn't make First Team AA. It would be rediculous if she doesn't.

LSU does not and shouldn't have two First Team AA. If they did, they should be undefeated right now.

Who cares if Paris is a frosh because she is straight up nasty.

They don't necessarily make the lists by position, they just take the best available players right?

Your post got "noticed" by the ESPN folks.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2340682

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/28/06 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cool!

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/28/06 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sweet!

giraffespots

PostPosted: 02/28/06 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For funnies, why not add those two to the stat comparison game. Compare their stats as is, and per 40 minutes.

Paris an AA candidate? Are you kidding? Take her stats, her dominance in conference play, her growth as a frosh, her skill level, her value to her team and she is National POY. So what if she's a freshman, the award is player of the YEAR.

PostPosted: 02/28/06 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone else find it interesting that espn utilized a message off of this board rather than either of its own wcbb boards?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/28/06 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
Anyone else find it interesting that espn utilized a message off of this board rather than either of its own wcbb boards?

Wasn't one of the links to the ESPN board? I thought both boards were used.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/28/06 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:

They used one from their own board for Parker.

PostPosted: 02/28/06 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtney Paris's Stats (per 40 minutes)
29.3 PPG
20.7 RPG
4.3 BPG
1.6 SPG
2.5 APG

giraffespots

PostPosted: 02/28/06 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mysticsfan07 wrote:
Courtney Paris's Stats (per 40 minutes)
29.3 PPG
20.7 RPG
4.3 BPG
1.6 SPG
2.5 APG

Anyone else want to compare? All that with consistent triple-team coverage.

PostPosted: 02/28/06 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cam, take 'em to court for me. My original post did NOT end in an exclamation point. Joking aside... I still really can't believe that's me in there. I am shocked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: