RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New collegerpi.com bracket out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njjosh

PostPosted: 02/21/06 7:12 pm    ::: New collegerpi.com bracket out Reply Reply with quote

http://www.collegerpi.com/women/06/ncaaguess.html

Maryland still a #1 seed, along w/ Duke, NC, and LSU (still 3 #1s for the ACC)

UConn, Tennessee, Rutgers, and Ohio State #2s. Maryland is the #1 in UConn's bracket (Bridgeport). Tennessee is the #2 in Duke's bracket; I'm not sure if this is worse for Tennessee or Duke.

Minnesota still a #7 seed after two non-competitive blowout losses and a bad loss to Wisconsin.

Indiana State (30-pt loss at Missouri State) and Hartford (still unbeaten in the Am. East) down to #11 and #12 seeds, respectively. This gives some validation to my belief that, despite their great records and top-35 RPIs (ISU is 27 and Hartford is 31), neither will make the dance without winning their conference tournament.

Utah up to a #5 seed.

Michigan State a #5 seed, in the same pod as #4 Stanford. Shimek killed Stanford's less physical forwards in the Elite 8 last year. Could she do so again?

5 Mountain West teams in (could they really get that many?)

RubberTroll

PostPosted: 02/21/06 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New Mexico over Baylor would mean a world of pain for someone in
Albuquerque. Any other home court advantages to look out for?

njjosh

PostPosted: 02/22/06 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RubberTroll wrote:

UConn playing in Bridgeport in the regionals

Tennessee playing in Nashville in the first two rounds (though the Lady Vols could play those first two rounds in Bangkok and still win both games by 20+)

Rutgers in Trenton

Interesting you mention New Mexico. I remember a few years ago, the first year of these pre-determined first & second round sites, Mississippi State was a #3 seed and had to play a second round game against the Lobos in Albuquerque. IIRC, their bid to host was denied because the state of Mississippi still uses elements of the Confederate flag in their own state flag. Fueled by a crowd of more than 16,000 (easily a first and second round record), the Lobos hit every kind of shot they could possibly think of and beat the Bulldogs by double-digits.

swok34

PostPosted: 02/22/06 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Old Dominion get home court in the early rounds?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 02/22/06 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
RubberTroll wrote:

Tennessee playing in Nashville in the first two rounds (though the Lady Vols could play those first two rounds in Bangkok and still win both games by 20+)

Rutgers in Trenton

Interesting you mention New Mexico. I remember a few years ago, the first year of these pre-determined first & second round sites, Mississippi State was a #3 seed and had to play a second round game against the Lobos in Albuquerque. IIRC, their bid to host was denied because the state of Mississippi still uses elements of the Confederate flag in their own state flag. Fueled by a crowd of more than 16,000 (easily a first and second round record), the Lobos hit every kind of shot they could possibly think of and beat the Bulldogs by double-digits.

I don't think that's right, I think it was something else, maybe even a big convention or something in town at the same time they were playing, I don't think it was the flag issue. I think the flag issue had something to do with South Carolina, but I'm foggy on all of it, so you may be right.

Grumps

PostPosted: 02/22/06 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
njjosh wrote:
RubberTroll wrote:

Rutgers in Trenton

I don't think that's right, I think it was something else, maybe even a big convention or something in town at the same time they were playing, I don't think it was the flag issue. I think the flag issue had something to do with South Carolina, but I'm foggy on all of it, so you may be right.

I can't remember all the details but there was some type of scheduling problem and they couldn't guarantee enough hotel/motel space...WE may be talking about 2 different times though...The one I am thinking about was before pre-determined sites when the top 4 seeds were supposed to host...I believe the year I am thinking about was 2000...

Grumps

swok34

PostPosted: 02/22/06 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recall the one Grumps is talking about and the lack of guaranteed hotel space.

The teams I've seen go into New Mexico for NCAA games: hasn't the "lower seed" typically prevailed? I recall that New Mexico played Texas Tech there a couple of years ago and Texas Tech, being lower seeded won the game (I think)..

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/22/06 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mississippi thing was in 2000, and I'm pretty sure it was a hotel room problem because I remember people being surprised that the Lady Rebs weren't hosting, which would not have been the case if it was a flag thing. Mississippi ended up playing on Oregon's home court (Oregon was the #6 seed). Oregon got upset in the first round by UAB, which then beat Mississippi as well.

UAB lost to Rutgers in the S16, which was neither surprising nor embarassing, as RU went on to the FF.

Grumps

PostPosted: 02/22/06 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
The Mississippi thing was in 2000, and I'm pretty sure it was a hotel room problem because I remember people being surprised that the Lady Rebs weren't hosting, which would not have been the case if it was a flag thing. Mississippi ended up playing on Oregon's home court (Oregon was the #6 seed). Oregon got upset in the first round by UAB, which then beat Mississippi as well.

UAB lost to Rutgers in the S16, which was neither surprising nor embarassing, as RU went on to the FF.

Wasn't BamaBob a UAB fan?

Minor correction Bek, it was Miss St, not Ole Miss Lady Rebels... Very Happy

Miss St almost beat TN in the SEC Tourney that year...I met one of their fans during the tourney and he was so proud that they were going to get to host for the first time...That was before we found out about them not going to host...

Grumps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: