RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee/Rutgers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyk

PostPosted: 03/29/05 11:25 pm    ::: Tennessee/Rutgers Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee wins the ugliest, nastiest, worst-refereed (against Rutgers more often than not) basketball game I've ever seen.

That game just plain sucked.

Sean McDonough was right on the money. You gotta have top of the line referees for the most visible basketball games. These refs were awful.

Survive and Advance, I guess. Yuck, that was nasty.

sambista

PostPosted: 03/29/05 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i was trying to remember what doris burke said, and she said it at the perfect time. aesthetically unpleasant? or something like that.

PostPosted: 03/29/05 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, that's exactly what she said.

I am not as diplomatic as Doris Burke, obviously. Smile

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/29/05 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank God I gave up at the last minute. I thought the game would be a 7-pm start, but when I learned it was gonna start at 9, I just dropped it.
One word for Cappie: WOW!
She couldn't have done more for her team, they have no offensive coordination, every trip down was just awful. Ajavon is talented, a bit too flashy, but can she be more outta control???
I felt bad for Chelsea Newton, that little blondie that was running the point in the 1st half really created match-up problems for them. Anyways, Cappie almost won it all by herself. A truly gutsy performance.
I agree with whoever said she has Cynthia Cooper written all over her. I can add her to my list of babies (I already have Baby Swoopes and Baby Yo).

PostPosted: 03/29/05 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I'm impressed Tennessee won this game, it's pretty sad when 50% of their points come from the free throw line. They made *4* FGs in the second half!! Rutgers attempted 13 FTs, TN made 29. Oy. The refs truly sucked in this game, and I'm not just saying this because Rutgers is a fellow Big East team. Those officials made some of the worst calls I've seen.

I hope Baylor, LSU, or MSU beat Tennessee. Lets make it 7 years without an NC.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/29/05 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
While I'm impressed Tennessee won this game, it's pretty sad when 50% of their points come from the free throw line. They made *4* FGs in the second half!! Rutgers attempted 13 FTs, TN made 29. Oy. The refs truly sucked in this game, and I'm not just saying this because Rutgers is a fellow Big East team. Those officials made some of the worst calls I've seen.

I hope Baylor, LSU, or MSU beat Tennessee. Lets make it 7 years without an NC.

I agree, the refs were awful, awful. Way too many fouls away from the ball that were totally non-existent, otherwise they wouldn't be able to breathe whistling as players need to compete for position in the paint. Sheesh...
I thought C. Vivian Stringer was a bit passive, and when they were down 2 with one minute to go, they rushed it. Looks like they either ignored what she asked them to do or they just weren't listening.
One more thing. Zolman is *annoying*, probably not her fault, but I was cranky tonight lol

PostPosted: 03/30/05 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A good friend of mine was there in Philadelphia tonight, and she sat with Tenn fans. Even they saw the obvious ref bias toward the Vols in the first half. She said it was like the refs wanted to make sure Tenn made the final four. It was one of those games that was aggravating to watch, because it was the refs and not the players who were deciding the game.

I'm really sad for Stringer. For the love of god, can the woman win a championship before she retires?

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
sambista

PostPosted: 03/30/05 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajavon isn't always that "out of control," bcbg. she's one of the most exciting players to watch. her court smarts are awesome. doris burke (yet again) called it right: the girl was a bit amped up in a previous game, and in this one, too. in fact, i was thinking that stringer was being muted to bring some calm to her girls. that was NOT the rutgers team i've been watching this season. cappie is amazing, but it has been wiggins' style that has reminded me of cynthia cooper, especially in the way she finds the seams driving to the basket. it was a nasty game, and it's too bad that a final four spot was determined based on that quality of play. i vote for a rematch!

PostPosted: 03/30/05 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was posted on the Rutgers board. Mixed in with the demanding the ref's names and email addresses. Dude's got a REAL good point.

maybe you guys play more aggressvie when you face "tougher" competition, thus resulting in a higher number of fouls

in all of ru losses this year, they committed more fouls

here are the free throw stats in those losses with ru free throw total listed 2nd

odu - 36 / 22
temple - 41 / 12
osu - 16 /7
nd - 22 / 5
uconn - 28 / 12
uconn - 30 / 20
tn - 35 / 13

if the girls or c. viv see that the officials are gonna call the game tightly, maybe they should back off on being so aggressive

that's just a thought

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 03/30/05 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was the worst officiated game I have ever seen in my life..most of the fouls called on rutgers was warranted..but all the no calls on tennessee was horrible..Cappie was by far the best player on the court and she went to the line ONCE..ONE TIME..I am very dissapointed to say the least..

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/30/05 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a bummer to watch that game for a variety of reasons. It was a sloppy, grueling mess, especially in the second half. And the fouls...

Part of it was the Knights' fault. They don't have an inside game (and that's where a lot of fouls are called). They rely too much on fadeaways and step-back jumpers. And they really don't swing the ball well -- when you swing the ball is when you get defenders out of position, and that's when they foul.

But those things don't explain a disparity that wide. A bunch of times Pondexter drove to get to the line. She got held and hand-checked, but didn't get calls.

I dunno... I'm never a blame-it-on-the-refs person. But I think that generally, the reffing in women's ball leaves something to be desired. I'm not sure what to do about it...

Kelli

PostPosted: 03/30/05 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The real comment on the officiating is whether any of those refs are in Indy. They were 3 of 12 that did a regional final. That means that they have been judged to be in the top 12 in the country.

Will any of them move on?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: