RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee-Georgia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
O.G.

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! What a comeback by the Vols. Huge win for them without Hornbuckle. GA just seemed to collapse down the stretch.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow...at the beginning of the second half, I didn't think the Lady Vols could do it. How wrong I was.

Candace was absolutely CLUTCH!!! She had a tough first 25 minutes or so, but then she started taking over, and carried the team. She is just so special. I wish she was on my team...but I'll be happy with Tina Charles next year (and hopefully Maya Moore after that Wink ). I hope that her ankle will be okay.

Georgia...Andy Landers seems to keep underachieving with the talent he has. Why do all of these talented players play there? After 27 years, and with all of the talent he's had, you would think that people would realize that Andy isn't capable of winning the big one. They just do not seem fluid on offense, and some of the decisions made by the guards in the last few minutes were questionable at best.

Congrats Vols fans Smile .

Last edited by BBallFanCT729 on 02/16/06 10:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
mikey87

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

actually LANDERS is an awesome coach it is'nt his fault the REFS are in the VOLS pocket night in and night out

Sass

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool Cool

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
O.G.

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Landers has done a good job this year IMO. Georgia had a lot of big injuries. They did look bad in the second half, but they're not the first team who's looked bad against Tennessee. GA might have taken this one if they had another low post threat. I think they'd be a top contender if they had all their players.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm happy and shocked that the Lady Vols won. GA missed a lot of shots and seemed at the end to be pulled into whatever style of play that is that Tennessee does. Rolling Eyes

That was a gritty win for a team who just lost its point guard going against a team on the road full of quick guards. I gotta give it to them.

Keegan

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Frittering a double digit lead away and blaming it on the refs seems a bit of a cop-out.
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I realize that Georgia has had a tough year in regards to injuries and other issues, so I know that they aren't as good as they should have been. However, ever since I've started watching WCBB, it seems to me that Georgia has had a lot of talent come through the program, but they've never had a national championship. It just seems to me that on the whole, Andy Landers has underachieved with the talent he has had.

That's not a knock on this year's team, which has had a lot of adversity (but so has Tennessee), but it's just an observation on what I've observed over the last 12 years or so.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
I realize that Georgia has had a tough year in regards to injuries and other issues, so I know that they aren't as good as they should have been. However, ever since I've started watching WCBB, it seems to me that Georgia has had a lot of talent come through the program, but they've never had a national championship. It just seems to me that on the whole, Andy Landers has underachieved with the talent he has had.

That's not a knock on this year's team, which has had a lot of adversity (but so has Tennessee), but it's just an observation on what I've observed over the last 12 years or so.

Therefore, Maya Moore should attend UConn and not Georgia Wink

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
BBallFanCT729 wrote:

Therefore, Maya Moore should attend UConn and not Georgia Wink

She'll probably end up at Tennessee Crying or Very sad .

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:

With the amount of talent that has gone through his program these past 20 years, his job should've been called for at least three times now. They must not care too much about women's hoops up in Athens (much less than I previously thought). Landers is the king of underachievers given the team's talent and the program's national prestige. I can't remember the last time his team was unranked nor do I recall a time Georgia missed the NCAAs.

Mathies to LA 2013
Grumps

PostPosted: 02/16/06 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whew that was ugly but it makes me feel a lot better about post season...TN won't face any better guards than they did tonight until deep in the NCAA's I don't think...

Now if Pat will stay with the zone for the rest of the year... Very Happy

Grumps

Bigorange123

PostPosted: 02/16/06 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikey87 wrote:
the VOLS are lucky to get this win TASHA has clobbered numerous times in the game that should have been a foul on PARKER the REFS are always in the VOLS corner PARKER is an awesome player but it's like you mightest well not play D on her because you will get called for the fall well congrats VOLS and DAWGS( im still in your corner regardless)

...yeah but Parker also gets fouled quite a bit too, and won't get the call or the 'and one', so I don't think the refs are necessarily in her corner.

PostPosted: 02/16/06 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
TN won't face any better guards than they did tonight until deep in the NCAA's I don't think...

Georgia has the best quartet of guards in the nation. Unless Tennessee plays Georgia again in the SEC Tournament, you won't see a guard-heavy attack like that again this season.

Baker is a beast out there. I hope she likes purple! Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
Grumps

PostPosted: 02/16/06 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I'm getting tired of typing this, but maybe THIS will be the game that Parker stands up and shows us what all the hype is about.

Well did she step up any?

19pts, 14 boards, 3 assists, 5 blocks, 0 turnovers, 1 steal in 35 mins playing on a gimpy ankle...

CKent

PostPosted: 02/16/06 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's games like this where I'm glad to have a baby girl to play with when I get home. Kinda reminds you where all these ballgames fit within the grand scheme of things. That said, this was a soul destroyer.

About the refs...this was one of the most brutally non-called games I've ever seen. I'm as big a proponent of "let 'em play" as the next guy but this crew really let the forearm clearing-out, over the backs, and hand checks go for both teams. Let me stress that...it was non-called both ways tonight. And it contributed to a really ugly atmosphere in the building. Neither set of fans were happy (until the end, of course), players were angry, Andy and Pat were freaking apoplectic. The refs lost control of the physical aspect of the game, IMO, and the game suffered for it.

Everybody saw it...so no lecture here. I said long ago that Georgia, being undermanned, would have to have everything go right to beat somebody on any given night. Tonight they just had too many stretches of poor-ass offensive decision-making...shot selection in particular. You don't see that many airballs when Joe Schmoe is pulled out of the crowd to shoot for some Papa John's. Long, seven-eight minute scoreless droughts? Against Tennessee? Suicide.

Candace Parker is the Real Deal in letters writ large. I saw a lot of vintage Grant Hill in her game tonight. That same combination of power and grace. She just seems to glide in out of nowhere to grab a board. And, not for nothing folks, but she is stunningly gorgeous. Even more up close and in person than on the tube. I hope that doesn't come off as sexist but, hey, I'm a dude.

Georgia can still run the table these last three games against Vandy, Arkansas, and Auburn and end up with 20 wins. Given the injuries at the outset of the season, I'll take it.

Knock Andy Landers all you want. I've had the honor of working around him on-and-off for over a decade now and there's no person I respect and admire more. And certainly no one I'd rather have coaching that baby girl of mine someday. We're not calling for his head down here, thanks.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 02/16/06 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never said that Andy was a bad person (although, I'm sure there are some who think he is). For many of the people who have been around him, they say he is a great individual.

I just don't think he's the best coach.

Grumps

PostPosted: 02/16/06 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
I never said that Andy was a bad person (although, I'm sure there are some who think he is). For many of the people who have been around him, they say he is a great individual.

I just don't think he's the best coach.

I like Andy... Shocked

Grumps

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/17/06 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
I'm getting tired of typing this, but maybe THIS will be the game that Parker stands up and shows us what all the hype is about.

Well did she step up any?

19pts, 14 boards, 3 assists, 5 blocks, 0 turnovers, 1 steal in 35 mins playing on a gimpy ankle...

Yep! She played well when she needed to down the stretch.

Now here's my Georgia question; when there's no PG on the other team, and your lead is slowly dwindling, why aren't you picking up at least 3/4 if not full court? They were letting UT walk the ball up court down the stretch uncontested.

CKent

PostPosted: 02/17/06 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Now here's my Georgia question; when there's no PG on the other team, and your lead is slowly dwindling, why aren't you picking up at least 3/4 if not full court? They were letting UT walk the ball up court down the stretch uncontested.

Georgia's trap this year is one in name only. Still, with Kendrick, Chambers, and Hardrick all having plenty of fouls to give, I too would've like to seen a little more pressure applied. When all those forwards went down early on, it seemed that most of the buzz was about the lack of help Humphrey was going to have on offense. Turns out the offense is okay, but the numbers just aren't there to D-up the way Andy's teams usually do. This Georgia team has played more zone than any in recent memory.

They were gassed toward the end of the game, too. The Lady Vols definitely had the fresher legs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: