RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

CU vs UNC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatValeska

PostPosted: 02/14/06 2:47 am    ::: CU vs UNC Reply Reply with quote

Well hey, I haven't had much I've felt like posting about this season, so I'll take it when i can get it.

(Buffs beat the Bears 92-65 Monday night in Boulder).

The official take:

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3910&SPID=258&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=237054

My take:

I've been weeping and gnashing my teeth the past few weeks as junior forward Jasmina Ilic's minutes and production - with the exception of a 20-point showing against Texas - had been steadily diminishing over the course of the past six weeks.

Things seemed to come to a head when Ilic started CU's previous game at Texas Tech and after playing just three minutes, took a seat on the bench the rest of the way.

IMO, this kid is the best offensive talent ever to wear a Buffs uniform, but despite this year becoming the first player in program history to score 34 points or more twice in the same season, Ilic has had trouble keeping herself on the court thoughout league play each of the past two seasons - under two different coaching staffs.

Still, after Saturday's game I was mad at the world - but something happened between Saturday and Monday night. Sure it was just UNC, but nevertheless, Ilic came out utilizing her passing skills - again, the best I've ever seen from a Buff - and this was an entirely different team than the one I've been watching all season.

Jaz had a career-high six assists 12 minutes into the game. Unfortunately, she suffered a partial seperation of her shoulder that's been bothering her all season early in the second half. Despite remaining on the bench afterwards, she netted 17 points and 7 assists and when she was on the court CU seemed to have five players on the same page all the time - it was, for lack of a better word - pleasant.

CU's Jackie McFarland had 29 points and 13 rebounds while Anna Nedovic also notched a double double with 15 and 13.

Downside was the 21 team turnovers, albeit many of those came late, long after the game was decided. Still, that's been the bane of this team for two straight seasons and until that changes ...

CU hosts Mizzou Saturday.

ari20dal7

PostPosted: 02/14/06 3:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ilic has talent, there's no question about that. She's got another year to blossom there. When I saw her live, she just didn't have her shooting touch (checking the stats, she was 4-1Cool. I thought we had a tough matchup for her with Leah Rush, but a lot of people will have a great deal of trouble guarding her with the shooting range, size, and passing ability that she has. She might just need a bit of confidence and a willingness from the coaching staff to stick her in there and forget about her.

You're not the only one that's optimistic. It might take a bit, but the Buffs have a pulse. One problem is that the Big XII is pretty deep: not necessarily in terms of high NCAA seeds, but teams that are competitive day-in and day-out. That means that it takes some time for improvement to show itself in terms of wins and losses.

ari20dal7

PostPosted: 02/14/06 3:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, that's weird. I wasn't trying to make an icon, but to say four of eighteen. Darn emoticons......

KatValeska

PostPosted: 02/14/06 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ari20dal7 wrote:
Ilic has talent, there's no question about that. She's got another year to blossom there. When I saw her live, she just didn't have her shooting touch (checking the stats, she was 4-1Cool. I thought we had a tough matchup for her with Leah Rush, but a lot of people will have a great deal of trouble guarding her with the shooting range, size, and passing ability that she has. She might just need a bit of confidence and a willingness from the coaching staff to stick her in there and forget about her.

You're not the only one that's optimistic. It might take a bit, but the Buffs have a pulse. One problem is that the Big XII is pretty deep: not necessarily in terms of high NCAA seeds, but teams that are competitive day-in and day-out. That means that it takes some time for improvement to show itself in terms of wins and losses.

First, it's so darn nice to have another Big 12 fan on board. I truly appreciate your baskeball smarts and how well you translate that into your posts.

Second, I gotta admit that I was an OU skeptic coming into the season, but I'm excited now that we have such a strong flagship for the league heading into the postseason.

Third, I hope you'll get a chance to see Jaz performing on all cylinders in the Big 12 tourney as well as through out all of her senior year next season.

Last, the way these kids have worked and kept their chins up, I so want to see them rewarded with at least two more wins this year.

ari20dal7

PostPosted: 02/14/06 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aw, Prof! You're so nice! And on Valentine's Day, too! Embarassed

Likewise, I appreciate having smart Big XII fans around. Despite having such an amazing team here, it's still tough to get the student section filled for games or to have anyone to talk to about the games. And I live and work in the athletic dorms. Seriously, the Paris twins live fifty feet from my desk and there's still nobody that wants to talk women's hoops.

That must be especially tough to find when a team is in a rebuilding phase. How is the attendance up there? And do the students get involved?

I can really see Ilic becoming a force next season. They just need to get her the minutes. Sorry I didn't get a chance to see the UNC game, as it sounds like she put on a clinic.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 02/14/06 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Always good to see vocal fans for teams in "rebuilding phases."

What do you think of McConnell-Miller as a coach?

Yes, the Big XII is deep. Especially with teams that have been doormats in the recent past (KU, TA&M) becoming decent to good this year.

I know Northern Colorado aren't exactly the Sooners, but didn't they almost beat Maryland last year? Aren't they, you know, not bad?

unkiemark

PostPosted: 02/14/06 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:

Yes, the Big XII is deep. Especially with teams that have been doormats in the recent past (KU, TA&M) becoming decent to good this year.

I know Northern Colorado aren't exactly the Sooners, but didn't they almost beat Maryland last year? Aren't they, you know, not bad?

McConnell-Miller and her staff will get the Buff back to the top of the conference and the nation's elite - it's just a matter of time. Should they develop/find a floor leader they could make a big move next season. They have almost all of their key players returning plus a very good recruiting class coming in.

PostPosted: 02/15/06 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ari20dal7 wrote:
Aw, Prof! You're so nice! And on Valentine's Day, too! Embarassed

Likewise, I appreciate having smart Big XII fans around. Despite having such an amazing team here, it's still tough to get the student section filled for games or to have anyone to talk to about the games. And I live and work in the athletic dorms. Seriously, the Paris twins live fifty feet from my desk and there's still nobody that wants to talk women's hoops.

That must be especially tough to find when a team is in a rebuilding phase. How is the attendance up there? And do the students get involved?

I can really see Ilic becoming a force next season. They just need to get her the minutes. Sorry I didn't get a chance to see the UNC game, as it sounds like she put on a clinic.

LOL ari - I'm usually nice even when it's not a holiday. I too have trouble finding folks to discuss hoops with, but I'm lucky enough to have a few local fans around with whom to bounce ideas and such. It's always bothered me that the CU student population hasn't supported this team much, at least in recent years, although I've seen more this year than last. Overall though, attendance is about the same as last year - not very good - usually between 1,000 and 2500 per game.

Jaz will get her minutes if she continues to play a more well-rounded game like she did on Monday.

BTW, I don't know as much about OU as you seem to the Buffs. That's why I havne't commented on your posts on the Sooners, but I have been reading and enjoying them - keep 'em coming.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 02/15/06 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:

I've said it before and I still fel the same - I think very highly of the entire staff.

Yes, UNC scared the heck outta the Terps late last year. I'm purty sure they were up by a couple a points with like two minutes to play but Maryland pulled it out in the final minute. BTW, they play Maryland again in a week or two. They lost to Illinois earlier in the year by 10 points I believe. But they're also a team that lives and dies by the three - they shot 42 of 'em Monday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: