RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

No championship game repeat!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyk

PostPosted: 03/28/05 12:15 am    ::: No championship game repeat!! Reply Reply with quote

Stanford just took out UConn...so therefore, there won't be a 4-peat.

Geno Auriemma joins the "Fourth one is the hardest one to get" club with Pat Summitt and Phil Jackson (times two) who that commercial was about in the first place. Heh. Quite possibly the funniest commercial I've seen in years.

I know what you're thinking. I'm just happy because I'm from Tennessee, right? Not necessarily.

I'm happy UConn is gone because of the fact that you don't want a team to win four times in a row. Would kind of destroy everyone's perception of the amount of the p-word in women's basketball if the same team kept winning over and over and over. Now that the same team is gone, the p-word can truly be used, I think.

So, in the interest of the p-word, that being the only factor, to pick the four teams that should go to the Final Four would be Michigan State, Rutgers, LSU, and Baylor.

Knowing that this probably won't happen, I'll go Tennessee (they're my only team from my original bracket left anyway), LSU, North Carolina, and Stanford.

And yes, just so you know...I am also partly happy that UConn lost...just because I live in the Volunteer State. Very Happy

*plays Rocky Top and smiles*

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/28/05 12:29 am    ::: Re: No championship game repeat!! Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Knowing that this probably won't happen, I'll go Tennessee (they're my only team from my original bracket left anyway), LSU, North Carolina, and Stanford.

After watching UConn fall apart tonight, I have a hard time imagining that Michigan State will be able to get past Stanford. Stanford just look too fast. The entire Big Ten, as a conference, this year, in retrospect, look too slow.

I was especially impressed w/ the way Stanford dominated the glass. There are certain things UConn has done badly all year, but rebounding is something they've done quite well. Not tonight.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 03/28/05 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't even think MSU could get by Vanderbilt. Never underestimate the Big Ten, I guess.

*headdesk*

By the way, is it just me, or did ESPN seem to do more mourning for UConn than congratulating Stanford? I think they did...the only evidence that they talked about UConn's impressive streak that's ending for the last five minutes of the game, and that they interviewed Geno first...at a time when you normally talk to the winning coach first.

Such is life when the network carrying the tournament is located in Connecticut, I guess.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/28/05 2:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three down baby - three to go!
herrade

PostPosted: 03/28/05 7:42 am    ::: Re: No championship game repeat!! Reply Reply with quote

stanford's defense was sick, but the difference in the second half was wiggins. she handed the game to uconn in the first half!

this is the first time i've seen uconn play since dt left. i think the mantra "makes all her teammates better" has new meaning for me. i know NL's fawning over geno gets really fucking annoying, but she had a point about uconn getting as far as they did mostly on coaching. damn. strother, turner, battle, moore... aren't they all supposed to have that veteran champion killer instinct? gah.

PostPosted: 03/28/05 9:58 am    ::: Re: No championship game repeat!! Reply Reply with quote

I originally picked Michigan State to beat Stanford, but I am getting less and less sure. I am not particularly impressed with beating UConn (remember, MSU dismanted them earlier in the season at the HCC) but I don't know what they will do with Wiggings.

This year the B11 was dominated by big bruisers and Michigan State hasn't faced a dominatn player with the athleticism of Wiggins this year, outside of possibly Wright and Batteast. The Spartans split with MSU and had to go to overtime with ND, and both of those teams give their stars less support than Stanford.

My gut still says Michigan State pulls it out, but maybe that is just my B11 bias shining through.

Go Spartans!

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/28/05 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, is it just me, or did ESPN seem to do more mourning for UConn than congratulating Stanford? I think they did...the only evidence that they talked about UConn's impressive streak that's ending for the last five minutes of the game, and that they interviewed Geno first...at a time when you normally talk to the winning coach first.

Absolutely! It wasn't just you. I thought it bad form. The University of Bristol loss is good/bad news for ESPN--they don't have to pay attention any more to women's basketball and they are still broadcasting women's basketball.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/28/05 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely! It wasn't just you. I thought it bad form. The University of Bristol loss is good/bad news for ESPN--they don't have to pay attention any more to women's basketball and they are still broadcasting women's basketball.

Even the UConn fan in me felt that way. Now granted that was a big part of the story, but I didn't think it was right they interviewed Geno before interviewing the winning coach.

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 03/28/05 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont think MSU will have a problem with stanford..our bigs(kelli rohrig and liz shimek) will eat stanford alive..but they do have wiggins...

FeFi

PostPosted: 03/28/05 4:18 pm    ::: MS Reply Reply with quote

I was at the games last night and I have to say that MSU's bigs are in no way going to be able to keep up with Stanford's. Roerhig might take up lots of space, but she's slow as molasses and should be rebounding better than she does. She got some easy looks right under the glass, but other than that, her skills are overrated I think (and I'm biased in favor of the Big 10 ((and my undergrad school Purdue in particular)). While I think MSU has some strengths, especially at point guard, the way Stanford's big girls shut down the inside against UConn and rebounded and made shots like nobody's business was enough to convince me that MSU's inside game is going to be challenged to keep up. Girls can't run the floor like Stanford can.

And Wiggins was impressive! I'd been reading lots about her but watching her in person highlighted two things: her awesome talent and how much better she's going to get. She made several freshman mistakes and turnovers, but she was hitting shots and playing lights out second half. The rest of Stanford's team compliments her with Suminski and Borchardt and the bigs inside. UConn looked completely lost and unsure of what page they were supposed to be on..it was a little disconcerting from them.

Finally, I'm really disappointed that Vandy beat K-State to get to the regionals..the team I saw play MSU was less than impressive.

Stanford had a nice fan contingency there as did MSU..lots of Nebraska people down to support Roehrig who apparently is from there. Should be a good game Tues.

caune

PostPosted: 03/28/05 5:25 pm    ::: Re: MS Reply Reply with quote

FeFi wrote:
I was at the games last night and I have to say that MSU's bigs are in no way going to be able to keep up with Stanford's. Roerhig might take up lots of space, but she's slow as molasses and should be rebounding better than she does. She got some easy looks right under the glass, but other than that, her skills are overrated I think (and I'm biased in favor of the Big 10 ((and my undergrad school Purdue in particular)). While I think MSU has some strengths, especially at point guard, the way Stanford's big girls shut down the inside against UConn and rebounded and made shots like nobody's business was enough to convince me that MSU's inside game is going to be challenged to keep up. Girls can't run the floor like Stanford can.

And Wiggins was impressive! I'd been reading lots about her but watching her in person highlighted two things: her awesome talent and how much better she's going to get. She made several freshman mistakes and turnovers, but she was hitting shots and playing lights out second half. The rest of Stanford's team compliments her with Suminski and Borchardt and the bigs inside. UConn looked completely lost and unsure of what page they were supposed to be on..it was a little disconcerting from them.

Finally, I'm really disappointed that Vandy beat K-State to get to the regionals..the team I saw play MSU was less than impressive.

Stanford had a nice fan contingency there as did MSU..lots of Nebraska people down to support Roehrig who apparently is from there. Should be a good game Tues.

I agree, Newlin, Smith and Theil and very underrated and should be able to handle MSUs bigs, or at the least play to a draw which still leaves Wiggins to be the deciding factor.

Sass

PostPosted: 03/28/05 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was also mad that the focus was mostly on UConn. Stanford played incredibly well, and deserved all the limelight. Candace Wiggins is unreal. Where the hell did she come from anyway, and was she this good in high school?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: