RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Virginia 7-1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridor

PostPosted: 12/21/05 12:29 pm    ::: Virginia 7-1 Reply Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to watch Virginia Cavaliers play Richmond Spiders last Sunday afternoon. Let me tell you something -- Virginia Cavaliers are BACK!

I think the Era of Brandi Teamer-LaTonya Blue is officially over. That class brought the worst aspect of Cavaliers in years.

This year's edition, with 8 out of 12 players who are freshmen and sophomores, are so fast, cohesive and athletic.

I'm so GLAD that they are not ranked because that is what they do the best -- beating teams when they are not ranked.

As you see, Virginia dispatched George Washington easily in Washington, DC 66-53 after leading as many as 22 points. Tennessee had to fight the Colonels in Washington, DC before winning by 16.

So I suspect by NCAA Tournament, Virginia Cavaliers will be ready, confident and loose to pull the upsets against anyone else.

North Carolina and Duke are not the only athletic teams out there. Virginia is going to rattle their boxes.

Sharnee Zoll matured very well. Lyndra Littles is going to win the ACC Rookie of the Year with the way she played in the last 5 games. Denesha Kenion is confident. Tiffany Sardin and Siedah Williams are tough and athletic.

Hear this -- Virginia is back.

R-

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/21/05 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know about anyone else, but I like when fans sing the praises of their teams like this! Well done!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/21/05 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So much for a team that's supposed to struggle. Confused

Virginia's defense has got to be among the best in the league. The offense is decent for the time being. They run an up-tempo style that will give quite a few ACC teams fits (those that prefer to run half-court offenses).

The Cavaliers are lucky in that they have the best sophomore point guard in the country and another highly capable sophomore PG backing her up. Sharneé Zoll and Denesha Kenion are explosive on both sides of the ball. Kenion is so lightening quick an always plays with high energy. Zoll is such a special talent at the point and is the "heart and soul" of the Virginia Cavaliers. She goes unnoticed right now, but WCBB will get to know the name "Sharneé Zoll" soon enough. I'm just glad she's in the ACC where I have the opportunity to see her play.

Lyndra Littles, perhaps undersized in the post, is highly efficient. She has two double-doubles already despite being a freshman reserve player! She just has an uncanny knack for rebounding the ball for a first-year player. Littles has such an incredible upside and should be one of the conference's best posts in a couple of years. She might not win FOY (Coleman seems to lead that race thus far), but she's definitely headed for a successful future with the 'Hoos.

It's nice to see upperclassmen stepping up major. Siedah Williams, the team's leading scorer, has upped her level of play from last year to this year. Tiffany Sardin, the team's lone senior, looks more comfortable now that she's a full-time starter. Though Takisha Granberry can be inconsistent, she provides a great deal of energy when she's on the court. Smile

This team *could* get its payback against North Carolina at some point this season. I'd like to think that the February 12 game in Charlottesville will involve a little revenge factor and could be the prime upset opportunity. I'll keep that game circled on my calendar. This is a special team, IMHO. Virginia gets lost in the discussion of the "elite" ACC teams because the program has lost a bit of its shine. However, it appears that they'll be back and should challenge for the ACC crown sooner than expected. I have a feeling that they'll regain their national elite status soon as well.

With that said, I still have to root for the Blue Devils over them. Smile

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/21/05 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
She might not win FOY (Coleman seems to lead that race thus far),

Or Abby Waner.

O.G.

PostPosted: 12/21/05 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
This team *could* get its payback against North Carolina at some point this season. I'd like to think that the February 12 game in Charlottesville will involve a little revenge factor and could be the prime upset opportunity. I'll keep that game circled on my calendar.

We're just glad you're thinking about us. Wink

ridor

PostPosted: 12/21/05 5:25 pm    ::: Oh, gawd Reply Reply with quote

Oh, please.

Duke is going to backfire somewhere along the season. As for North Carolina, they are talented but they are like wild horses -- just let them go, they go amok. Not good team.

I think Maryland may be the only team that Virginia will have a hard time playing.

This year, UVA will play at Duke, it'll be extremely difficult to win this game -- but if I show up, it may turn out different -- since the last time UVA posted a win at Cameron Indoor Stadium was also the last time i showed up.

R-

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/22/05 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Or Abby Waner.

Yeah, IF Abby Waner's production somehow surpasses that of Marissa Coleman. Coleman is the leading scorer on a squad that (1) she barely starts for and (2) contains Shay Doron, Crystal Langhorne, and Laura Harper. She's among the league leaders in defensive rebounds, three-point percentage, three-pointers made per game, and blocks per game. Thus, I feel that she's the FOY forerunner in the ACC and NOT Waner (who's more of a regular starter for Duke).

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/22/05 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:
We're just glad you're thinking about us. Wink

Of course! What would ACC discussions be without Carolina? Smile

Feb. 12: Carolina @ Virginia --> my ACC upset of the year

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/22/05 1:26 pm    ::: Re: Oh, gawd Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Oh, please.

Duke is going to backfire somewhere along the season. As for North Carolina, they are talented but they are like wild horses -- just let them go, they go amok. Not good team.

I think Maryland may be the only team that Virginia will have a hard time playing.

This year, UVA will play at Duke, it'll be extremely difficult to win this game -- but if I show up, it may turn out different -- since the last time UVA posted a win at Cameron Indoor Stadium was also the last time i showed up.

R-

Oh, please what?

If by "backfire" you mean "lose to Tennessee", then that's not beyond the realm of possibility. The Lady Vols are a force to be reckoned with.

North Carolina's better this season (on offense) than last thus far, but there will be teams that can run with them, like Virginia.

As long as the Maryland games don't turn into half-court slugfests, Virginia will be able to hang with the Terrapins.

UVA will not beat Duke in Cameron in 2006...maybe in 2008, though.

Mathies to LA 2013
ridor

PostPosted: 12/22/05 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You said that Tennessee is a team not to be taken lightly -- Well, Virginia dispatched George Washington easier than committing a sin! In fact, Virginia never trailed in that game and led as many as 22 points before substituting liberally to allow GW to come back by 13.

As for Tennessee -- they trailed against GW in DC by ten points and had a hard time putting GW away before winning by 16. I think Virginia is back.

Your condescending comments about Virginia not able to beat Duke for few years is duly noted. Just watch out. Virginia is pretty tired of losing to Dookies these days.

R-

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/22/05 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Debbie might save herself from early retirement.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/22/05 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
You said that Tennessee is a team not to be taken lightly -- Well, Virginia dispatched George Washington easier than committing a sin! In fact, Virginia never trailed in that game and led as many as 22 points before substituting liberally to allow GW to come back by 13.

As for Tennessee -- they trailed against GW in DC by ten points and had a hard time putting GW away before winning by 16. I think Virginia is back.

Tennessee is the #1 team in the country, dear. They were coming off a horrific road trip that involved a trip to the Caribbean as well as a side trip to California. By the time they reached DC, they were barely able to walk let alone play a damn basketball game. The fact that they not only were able to compete but actually pull out the game was amazing.

Conversely, Virginia opened up its season against GW. Keyword here is "opened" the season...aka they played GW long before fatigue set in. Thus, a fresh Virginia team and a tired Tennessee team defeated GW. Both resulted in W's, but there's a huge difference.

If you're trying to imply that Virginia's anywhere on Tennessee's level, then please stop right now before you make a complete fool of yourself.

Quote:
Your condescending comments about Virginia not able to beat Duke for few years is duly noted. Just watch out. Virginia is pretty tired of losing to Dookies these days.

Point out one instance where I was condescending about Virginia not being able to beat Duke. I just stated the obvious. If that's being "condescending", then your skin is way too thin. Virginia might very well be tired of losing to Duke, but so is Maryland, NC State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Clemson, Miami, etc.

I shutter to think what you'd say about Virginia if they weren't winning like they are now. Rolling Eyes

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/22/05 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Debbie might save herself from early retirement.

True

Mathies to LA 2013
O.G.

PostPosted: 02/12/06 11:17 pm    ::: Re: Oh, gawd Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
As for North Carolina, they are talented but they are like wild horses -- just let them go, they go amok. Not good team.

It's time for the past to come back to haunt us!!! Twisted Evil

Ridor, I say thee neigh!!! Laughing

O.G.

PostPosted: 02/12/06 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
I'd like to think that the February 12 game in Charlottesville will involve a little revenge factor and could be the prime upset opportunity. I'll keep that game circled on my calendar.

bballfan - circle us on your calendar anytime. Cool

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/12/06 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UVA had a promising start, but their record in conference games is 2-9 after today's loss, putting their overall record at 13-10.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/13/06 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:
bballfan - circle us on your calendar anytime. Cool

You dug that mess up? Laughing You DO realize that I didn't think the team would miss 50 shots and commit 25 turnovers. Wink

Congrats on the win, btw. Smile

*Circling Feb. 25* Twisted Evil Oh wait...I had January 29th circled, and we all know how that turned out. Crying or Very sad

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/13/06 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
UVA had a promising start, but their record in conference games is 2-9 after today's loss, putting their overall record at 13-10.

Zero = the # of McDonald's High School All-Americans on UVA's roster
Zero = the # of First-team All-ACC members on this roster (potential or incumbent)
Zero = the # of Kodak/AP All-American candidates on this roster
Zero = the # of National Player of the Year candidates on this roster

Tells a vivid story, doesn't it? Wink

This team has the best young point guard in the nation in Zoll*, a decent (but injured) post presence in Williams, a solid wing-turned-post player in Sardin, and a battle-tested coach in Ryan. They lose because they don't have much else.

*Before anyone flames me with White (LSU), Ajavon (Rutgers), Hornbuckle (Tenn), Tisdale (Baylor), Toliver (Maryland), etc., think about where those teams are in the Top 25 and look at personnel. Now name me one potential AA/POY candidate on Virginia's roster. Exactly. Zoll does more with less. Put her on Tennessee, LSU, Baylor, etc. and she's an All-American...point blank.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/13/06 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UVA does have players who were ranked in the top 25 by various recruiting services...Zoll, Granberry, Littles (off the top of my head). Williams was ranked in the top 40 or 50.

WBCA is the top 20 players, McDonald's is 24. And there are a lot of politics at play there.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/13/06 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's true. I personally felt that Zoll and Granberry should've been HS All-Americans (at least McDonald's), but that's not my call. As it stands, they weren't (oh well). Currently, they're both underclassmen who have to play BIG roles. Zoll does what she needs to do, but Granberry struggles at times because she doesn't have a consistent shot (plus, this is her first year starting). This season will do her some good, as she will realize that she needs to work on the mechanics of her jumpshot.

Littles is a freshman who doesn't start in the ACC and can't because of her defense. I remember hearing from Debbie and Beth how Abby Waner hit a "freshman wall", as I recall a few games where she registered single-digit (zero once) points despite starting. I think Littles just hit hers. She fouls way too much, misses layups, and doesn't rebound. She's taxed.

I said somewhere that Williams is a solid post player (very solid coming out of HS) BUT is injured (knee). Her lateral mobility is severely-limited, which affects her defense and rebounding (positioning). Offensively, she's effective since she can run the floor for open layups. Defensively, she gives up layups.

As you're alluding to, Cam...the team has the talent to compete. The pieces are there. Despite that, they're 2-9 in the conference. Bad shooting is a part of the problem. Key personnel losses is another. Both could be fixed by next season.

Mathies to LA 2013
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/13/06 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's true. I personally felt that Zoll and After watching Virginia compete against UNC yesterday, I'd say the major missing ingredient for Virginia is height/bulk in the post. Williams/Sardin/Littles are all power forwards or wings who would be great complements to a big in the middle. It's pretty much like when Duke had Wynter Whitley, Michelle Matyosovsky and Iciss Tillis. None of them is a center - only Iciss had the height and she is NOT a center - especially on offense. The ability to get 10-15 easy pts/game by dumping the ball into a big cannot be overlooked. Besides getting those easy points, it also forces the defenders to pack the paint, giving the outside shooters enough time to find a rhythm in their shot. Shooters that can consistently make shots with an instant release are still pretty rare and none of the Virginia players fit that description.

Virginia needs another DeMya Walker, pure and simple. Debbie Ryan is getting a lot with a little right now as they are at a severe disadvantage against teams with height - most teams in the ACC, especially the upper half of the ACC.

And, I gotta say, we Duke fans let out a cheer when Brenna McGuire was announced in the starting lineup against Duke. She's really got to do more to help her team to deserve the minutes she gets. I was watching yesterday's UVA/UNC game and tipped them off to her lack of production. Sure enough, she played her usual game and did not produce much. She's a cutie and a sweetie pie but she's a liability out there.

~rAf

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: