RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WPS folds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnyK

PostPosted: 05/18/12 10:16 am    ::: WPS folds Reply Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/soccer/wires/05/18/2050.ap.soc.wps.folds.0131/index.html#ixzz1vEbs2nqD

Quote:
The Women's Professional Soccer league is folding after three seasons.
Its board of governors announced Friday it had agreed to suspend all operations permanently.

PostPosted: 05/18/12 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad

PostPosted: 05/18/12 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Disappointing news, while I am sad this happened, I'm not really surprised, even though they said it was suppose to be just for this season. Still sucks, this league had a lot of potential, it sucks something could have have been worked out.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 05/18/12 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No women's pro volleyball
No women's pro softball (of any relevance)
No women's pro soccer

3 pretty popular women's college sports, and this country cant support pro league's for these sports. Amazing.

It's like were back to the mid 1990's again.

PostPosted: 05/18/12 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You would have at least softball and soccer if those marketing the leagues knew that they were doing. Sadly they have shown they are totally lost.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 05/18/12 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
No women's pro volleyball
No women's pro softball (of any relevance)
No women's pro soccer

3 pretty popular women's college sports, and this country can't support pro league's for these sports. Amazing.

It's like were back to the mid 1990's again.

Compared to a college program (and its athletic budget) to support these sports --- and largely due to Title IX --- it is incredibly difficult for most women's professional sports leagues to financially survive without some kind of backup support in the way the WNBA has from the NBA.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 05/19/12 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The death of the WPS is not in the least bit surprising.

Despite the games growth at the youth and high school level, I just don't think there is enough REAL support outside of the Olympics which is all about the USA on the front of the uniform to make a successful pro league.
MattinDE

PostPosted: 05/19/12 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was a big Philadelphia Independence fan and this REALLY SUCKS!!! Crying or Very sad
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/20/12 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has any league ever actuallly taken 'a year off' and then come back and just got rolling again? I think everyone knew it was pretty much dead when they claimed they were only going away for a season.

PostPosted: 05/20/12 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Has any league ever actuallly taken 'a year off' and then come back and just got rolling again? I think everyone knew it was pretty much dead when they claimed they were only going away for a season.

NHL did...and it wasn't as foregone a conclusion as you think...I've seen chapter 11 restructurings less extreme than the changes the NHL made on and off the ice.

I BELIEVE the NFL played only a barnstorming season with scattered teams one year during WWII...which caused merged teams like the Pennslyvania steagles (yes merging the steelers and eagles.) but this wasn't a total shutdown.

The Arena League (football) also shut down for a year and relaunched with the old Minor league owners and reverted to the pre David Baker era...but that was complicated...the old AFL teams never went away but were forced to fold, move to "Better major league markets" or be demoted to AF2...when this high debt structure collapased during the loan crisis, the old markets came back and relaunched the AFL pretty much the way it was in the late 90s before Baker got this grandiose idea of making it an NFL alternative.

PostPosted: 05/20/12 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True, I guess the NHL did in the end, although I was thinking anyone that actively said "we're going away for a year, but then we'll come back" and actually did. The NHL was a bit different, locking the players out and just being willing to let it drag on as long as necessary.

Have to admit I wasn't sure if the AFL ever came back.

PostPosted: 05/21/12 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont even get why some of their teams didnt even match the jerseys with the team name.

SkyBlue FC...team uniform color = Orange?

PostPosted: 05/21/12 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sad news for women's soccer. had some hope it might revive itself in 2013 but overall it was doubtful. I highly doubt we'll see another attempt at a pro women's soccer league anytime soon.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Scarab

PostPosted: 09/18/12 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did one man destroy the WPS?

PostPosted: 09/18/12 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The guy is apparently an even bigger asshole than I thought.
toad455

PostPosted: 09/19/12 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what a jerk. And I do believe he is the #1 reason why the league folded.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/19/12 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's pretty scary. And a cautionary tale maybe for any women's pro sports league.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 09/20/12 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm shocked he wasn't demanding to screw his players. His reported comments in the story seem one step below that.
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/24/12 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Did one man destroy the WPS?

Shortly after that dinner, one of his new recruits found herself confused about what to call her employer: Dan? Mr. Borislow? Boss? Coach? His reply says a lot about the man who can make or break professional women's soccer in America.

"Call me Daddy," he replied.

Ick.

He also moved more than a dozen of his players into luxury condos, allowed them to drive his fleet of Bentleys and Mercedes Benzes and treated them to lavish meals.

http://www.afterellen.com/content/2012/09/did-one-man-destroy-wps

Quote:
Rolling in Rubles

Diana Taurasi's cell phone rang and she put down a bite of her classic modern Moscow meal — sushi — to glance at the number. "That's your boy," she told her teammate across the table, before answering the call and speaking to Shabtai von Kalmanovic, owner of their Spartak basketball team.

"Papa! What are you doing? … Dinner last night was awesome …

Bird, Taurasi and the rest of Spartak's players were clearly happy to see him, referring to him as "Papa" for the way he looks after them. And he was equally happy to see his players, greeting several with wet kisses on the mouth and lingering hugs throughout a team lunch. If von Kalmanovic owned a team in the United States, he might last two days before getting hit with a sexual harassment suit. Not that he cares much. "There," he would call out later after kissing guard Ticha Penicheiro before a game. "Now you can write that I kiss my players."

From December to mid-May, the two former UConn teammates were back together, living in a rent-free, six-bedroom villa only slightly smaller than the Kremlin, so lavish it included an indoor swimming pool and a sauna. They had a part-time cook. They had an interpreter. They had personal drivers. They received three round-trip, business-class flights between the United States and Moscow during the season. They regularly flew business class or charter for road games. They played in a new arena with a photo mural of the team stretching across the entire back wall. von Kalmanovic phoned them several times a day, took them to dinner and shows, and flew them abroad on break.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=rollinginrubles

So when Dan Borislow does it, it's bad, but when Shabtai von Kalmanovic does it, it's good? Gotcha Idea Twisted Evil

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/24/12 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Culture has something to do with it...and at least a fan I was turned off by that and his mob connections...and remember in the US Sexual Harrassment is NOT taken lightly...not at all. There may have been some "when in rome" mentality with the conduct in Russia.

That said...very fair point.

PostPosted: 09/24/12 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
very fair point.

That's right. Exclamation Idea

FS02

PostPosted: 10/12/12 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heard on the Pac-12 soccer coverage that they're reviving the WPS to begin play in 2013 with at least 8 teams.

PostPosted: 10/15/12 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's still not 100% formed, nor would this be a Division 1 league, so don't expect top talent. But four old WPS teams would return: Chicago RedStars, Western New York Flash, NY/NJ SkyBlue & Boston Breakers. Other potential cities/teams: Washington Freedom, Philadelphia Independence, Seattle, Dallas, Portland, Vancouver, Southern California & Charlotte. If they can get 8 out of these 12 listed to start up by summer 2013, good for them.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/09/12 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just an FYI, an announced regarding the new league is expected by Thanksgiving.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: