RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What Michael Jordan had to say about Epiphany

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 02/08/06 4:58 pm    ::: What Michael Jordan had to say about Epiphany Reply Reply with quote

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5314494

I like this:

"I think that she's going to innovate this game," he said. "I think we should give women an opportunity to be recognized."

Not the part about Prince will "innovate" the game but that he feels women should be recognized in the sport. It would be nice if women's hoops could get names like Michael Jordan behind it. He has a daughter. I wonder if she plays?

24duzitall

PostPosted: 02/08/06 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all the women who play ball and he talks about her. sorry there have been so many before her who deserved props. i could care less what he has to say about it. has he ever supported women in basketball? sorry just don't like him.

PostPosted: 02/08/06 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't Jordan go one-on-one with Sheryl Swoopes? Also, as I recall, he met up with her when she was pregnant and put his hand to her stomach (i.e. gave the child his blessing...lol). How do you think Sheryl's son (Jordan) got his name?

Mathies to LA 2013
hoopladreams

PostPosted: 02/09/06 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

24duzitall wrote:
all the women who play ball and he talks about her. sorry there have been so many before her who deserved props. i could care less what he has to say about it. has he ever supported women in basketball? sorry just don't like him.

Yeah, I agree with you. MJ has been a real jerk in the past regarding his opinions on women's hoops. But ya gotta give people a chance to change. The same can be said about Larry Bird's comments last week. Perhaps the questionable state of the NBA is causing people to re-evaluate the women's game. That's what got me hooked on wbb. I guess the NBA old-timers are finally coming around as well. That's a fantastic thing for women's hoops.

luvDhoops wrote:
He has a daughter. I wonder if she plays?

When MJ was on Oprah I think he said that his daughter played soccer, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: 02/09/06 5:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it is troubling that it takes a high school player scoring ridiculous points for someone to take notice of the game. I agree with a story I read about this "record" that basically said that it was truly unsportsmen-like to allow a player to do something like this. We should be way past being excited about a high school player scoring more than 40 points, whether they are male or female. The true beauty of women's basketball is that it is usually not dominated by a single player but that it takes a team to truly achieve greatness.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 02/09/06 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spoken like someone who pays no real attention to the women's game- MJ, I mean. But it was no doubt the "right" thing to say, which has always been one of MJ's hallmarks.

But what Epiphany Prince did will not "innovate" the game, nor was it an "opportunity to be recognized" in a good way. If anything, publicizing the performance will only confirm the doubters' suspicions that women's ball is not worthy of their contempt because a whole team couldn't stop a kid from haning 113 points on them. If the Powers That Be wanted to provide an "opportunity to recognize" women's basketball, they would televise women's games at a level maybe approximating that of men's ball. For example, we got Duke v. UNC men during "Rivalry Week." Where was RU v. UConn? Because it wasn't on my TV.

I have no axe to grind with Epiphany Prince. She did exactly what she was supposed to do, which is play hard as long as she is in the game.

But her coach behaved badly. Once it was clear that the game was out of reach and it was Epiphany doing the damage, he should have brought her to the bench with congrats for a job well done. Instead, he kept her in the game to the bitter end.

And what about the sanction of the victim? Why did the opposing coach let it happen? Once it became clear that the game had become the Epiphany Prince show, why didn't he call a TO, walk over to Prince's coach and tell him, that if he didn't take Prince out of the game, he, the opposing coach, would take his team off the floor, give up a 1-0 forfeit and let Prince's scoring effort go out the window? Instead, he let his team take a whipping that could serve no pedagogical purpose.

Women's basketball does not need this kind of "innovation" or "exposure."

PostPosted: 02/09/06 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boy, there are a lot of assumptions in this thread. Michael Jordan watches all basketball. It doesn't matter who's playing. He's very cool with Cheryl Miller, Teresa Weatherspoon and if I'm not mistaken, Cynthia Cooper. He was a big fan of Andrea Stinson and is still a big fan of Sheryl Swoopes and Diana Taurasi. He sponsors numerous Team Jordan women's semi-pro teams across the country by supplying their uniforms and sneakers, paying for their travel and paying their tournament entry fees. Don't assume that just because he doesn't talk about the women's game that he doesn't appreciate it. When the Dream Team played in '92, they bonded with the women's team. Carry on with the old Epiphany drama but don't assume that he didn't know what he was talking about.

gpark33

PostPosted: 02/09/06 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, and this is only one very small opinion, I think just the fact that the game is being talked about in the national media makes the good outweigh the bad on this one.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 02/09/06 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
Boy, there are a lot of assumptions in this thread. Michael Jordan watches all basketball.

do you really think Jordan has ever seen Piph play?

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 02/09/06 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:
Boy, there are a lot of assumptions in this thread. Michael Jordan watches all basketball.

do you really think Jordan has ever seen Piph play?

Do you know how many Nike tournaments Piph has played in the last 4 years? If he hasn't seen her in person, he's surely seen her on tape. He also knows her AAU coach. A lot of people don't know it but Jordan keeps tabs on players on all levels early on so he can pimp his sneakers. I know they've met already and he has already stated that she's going to be a part of his Jordan Classic eventhough she can't play in the actual game. If she's not wearing Brand Jordan or Nike in 4 years, I'll be more than shocked.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/09/06 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Jordan has said nice things about Taurasi and Holdsclaw in the past..(Great players..yada yada ect..)

But I agree, It would be nice to have someon like Jordan, out spokenly support the WNBA.

PostPosted: 02/09/06 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
...he has already stated that she's going to be a part of his Jordan Classic eventhough she can't play in the actual game.

yep... that's what it said in the article.

Keegan

PostPosted: 02/09/06 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe he should have just said:

"Great - another opportunity to spread my brand"
bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 02/09/06 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, we don't need to fret that MD v. UNC wasn't televised. We have Epiphany Prince to "innovate" the game and bring it some exposure. Rolling Eyes

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: