RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Marquette @ St. John's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/08/06 9:57 pm    ::: Marquette @ St. John's Reply Reply with quote

If ever a game against a middle-of-the-road opponent mattered, this did- playing to maintain conference position and their ranking, as this was their only game this week. And they choked like whoa.

Kia Wright was on fire, but that was really it for the Red Storm. Angie Clark was heavily defended and couldn't get going. Tara Walker was hot early, but cooled. Greeba Barlow, who was on a scoring streak, was in serious foul trouble for most of her minutes. Danielle Chambers couldn't hit a lay-up to save her life, and was dragging on defense, a cardinal sin.

#20 for Marquette, Ellis, was amazing- is she always a brilliant scorer? She's only a freshman- watch out for her! #45, McCullough, sets Screens Of Grievous Bodily Harm- not quite Cathrine's Screens Of Death (tm), but very solid. I sat next to their Russian player's father or other older kinsman for the first half, and he was hysterical. They played a swarming, intense, scrambling defense that really psyched St. John's out.

The attendance is starting to pick up among students, although bribing them with free pizza and ice cream helps.

Geekout: Marquette assistant coach Cara Consuegra was a draft pick of the Utah Starzz.

(now with spelling variations)
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/09/06 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This one really surprised me especially after Marquette's performance on Saturday at Louisville but I'll take it Smile.

Krystal Ellis has looked great all season but she really started picking up her scoring in Big East play. She's averaging 11.7 ppg in BE play and 8.6 ppg on the year coming into this game. Ellis pretty much single handedly willed Marquette onto victory in the second half at West Virginia when they came back to win after being down 23-2 to start the game - she was 5 of 5 from the 3 point line in the second half alone in that game.

Svetlana Kovalenko is our Russian player and last I heard her father is back in Russia. But I believe her mom is a professor at Rutgers now so the BE move was good in that her mom would get to see her play more. It could have been another family member/friend or her dad for all I know. Her nickname is V and I see she had 2 3's tonight - I get nervous when she shoots those but she's been making them lately.

I guess this means Ellis and Kieger #2 are back in good health. Kieger is our senior point guard who missed her first ever game last Tuesday vs. Providence with an ankle injury - had started 111 games before that . Ellis is the backup point guard and had an ankle injury during the Providence game. Ellis was coming off a game where she scored zero points so it was nice to see her come back with another high scoring game.

I've seen St. John's in person once this year and on TV a couple times and they look like a very good team. I'm surprised but pleasantly so that Marquette was able to beat them twice. If only MU could have knocked off ND too - man that game will haunt me for a long time to come...

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/09/06 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great win for Marquette! Smile

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: