RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Epiphanny Prince of Murry Bergtraum High School scored 113 p
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timber

PostPosted: 02/02/06 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
12/2/2005
4:30 PM
Norman Thomas 42 Murry Bergtraum 96
12/7/2005
4:45:00 PM
Murry Bergtraum 107 Stuyvesant 10
12/12/2005
4:30:00 PM
Louis Brandeis 22 Murry Bergtraum 115
12/14/2005
5:00:00 PM
Lab Museum United 27 Murry Bergtraum 84
12/15/2005
Murry Bergtraum 92 Frederick Douglass Academy 35
12/20/2005
Murry Bergtraum 0 Manhattan Center/Science & Math 0 postponed early
12/21/2005
Murry Bergtraum 0 Walton 0 postponed early
1/3/2006
Roosevelt Educational Campus 45 Murry Bergtraum 84
1/6/2006
Murry Bergtraum 78 John F. Kennedy 69
1/9/2006
Dewitt Clinton 37 Murry Bergtraum 101
1/19/2006
Murry Bergtraum 84 Norman Thomas 33
1/20/2006
Stuyvesant 14 Murry Bergtraum 76
2/1/2006
Murry Bergtraum 137 Louis Brandeis 32

I like how you conveniently left one out:

1/31/2006
Murry Bergtraum 67 Manhattan Center/Science & Math 50

I mean, fair is fair and for MC, that's an ass whoopin'. Laughing

True to what's been said though, credit where credit is due. You see what happens when Bergtraum plays a real team. The score looks like a high school game. I can't even imagine Coach Bradley letting anyone give her 113. She didn't even let the whole team get 70. Laughing

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 02/02/06 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Between the ages of 12-15, my roller hockey side never lost a game by better then 23-2. Yes, thats right, a hockey game getting as bad as 26-0. We sucked - and the team that continuously put the beat down on us were merciless. The poetically sweet thing about our scenario though, is that we credit them kicking our ass, for 9 of the 10 members of our team making the Australian team by the time we were 17, and also for us beating that team after those years in 3 consecutive State Championships.

You can sit and bitch about things like this, be bitter and just sulk. Or you can learn from it, go train your butts off and improve your game.

The kids who used to slaughter us at hockey, are now some of my closest and most trusted friends - and there was never any animosity between the players even back then. There was however, a LOT of animosty between the parents and adults around the venues we played at. And this seems to be the case with what happened in this basketball game - the people that MATTER, dont give two shits, but the people who have no place in the situation are making a big deal out of it.

PostPosted: 02/02/06 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAEmotion wrote:
Between the ages of 12-15, my roller hockey side never lost a game by better then 23-2. Yes, thats right, a hockey game getting as bad as 26-0. We sucked - and the team that continuously put the beat down on us were merciless. The poetically sweet thing about our scenario though, is that we credit them kicking our ass, for 9 of the 10 members of our team making the Australian team by the time we were 17, and also for us beating that team after those years in 3 consecutive State Championships.

You can sit and bitch about things like this, be bitter and just sulk. Or you can learn from it, go train your butts off and improve your game.

The kids who used to slaughter us at hockey, are now some of my closest and most trusted friends - and there was never any animosity between the players even back then. There was however, a LOT of animosty between the parents and adults around the venues we played at. And this seems to be the case with what happened in this basketball game - the people that MATTER, dont give two shits, but the people who have no place in the situation are making a big deal out of it.

Exclamation Here, you've got animosity coming from people who aren't even in the same state and hadn't heard about any of these kids before today...let alone the parents.

Getting beat is a part of sports. Somebody's gotta lose. I played ball 80% of the year for 10 years straight. I don't think I ever said, "gee, we only lost by 2. This feels so much better than when we lost by 50."

It was more embarrassing when the opposing coach put in the girl with the mouth full of braces and the extra medium uniform who had to put the water and the towels down to sub in and always double dribbled.

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 02/02/06 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always felt worse when we lost a close game, because you were in the position to win, but you didn't. Close games are harder to learn from, because all that goes through your head is 'We nearly had them! We *should* have had them.' You get down on yourself more so in that case because you couldn't pull it out. When you lose by a lot, its easier because you KNOW you weren't even on a similar level as your opponent, and it gives you starting blocks to build from.

PostPosted: 02/02/06 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There once was a girl named Cheryl Miller who scored 103 points in a high school game.

There once was a girl named Lisa Leslie who scored 101 points in the first half of a high school game.

Nobody remembers the final scores in those games, though they were monstrous blowouts.

Nobody remembers who the coaches were.

Nobody remembers who the other players were.

Nobody remembers the names of the high schools.

Nobody remembers what the newspapers said at the time.

Nobody remembers what fans said at the time.

Everybody remembers that Cheryl held the most Babe Ruthian scoring record for a whsbb game … ever … and that Lisa holds the most Babe Ruthian scoring record for a half … ever.

Everybody remembers these things … as historical things … as famous things … as legendary things … as good things.

But does anybody remember what happened to young Cheryl and Lisa?

They failed repeatedly at team basketball after that.

They chucked selfishly in every game they played after that.

They refused ever to pass to a teammate after that.

They poisoned the chemistry of every team they ever played on after that.

They failed to be successful in college basketball after that.

They failed to be successful in Olympic basketball after that.

They failed to be successful in professional basketball after that.

They devolved into immoral, unethical, egomaniacal, greed-driven, unworthy, evil human scum.

They became hugely negative role models and miserable failures as human beings.

They became known as the two players who most ruined women’s basketball.

And for that, they both are on the fast track to Hell … there to join their evil and forgotten high school coaches.

And that’s the way it was.

And that’s the way it is.

And that’s the way it will be.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 02/03/06 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 02/02/06 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BWAH...now that is a funny post Laughing .

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 02/02/06 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
They both devolved into immoral, unethical, egomaniacal, greed-driven, unworthy, evil human scum.

They both became hugely negative role models and miserable failures as human beings.

well, only one of them actually...

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 02/03/06 3:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"When my teammates told me how many points I had after the third quarter, I was thinking about Kobe," Prince said yesterday during a news conference at the school. "Kobe is my favorite player, and I thought I had a real chance to catch him, so that's what I did. Everyone was calling me 113 today in school."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/03/sports/basketball/03prince.html?th&emc=th

BCBG25

PostPosted: 02/03/06 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Criticism follows in wake of record

Quote:
Mackey said former Christ the King star players such as Chamique Holdsclaw, Sue Bird and Clare Droesch all could have scored 100 points in a game.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-sksamside034611655feb03,0,4826813.story?coll=ny-basketball-headlines

PostPosted: 02/03/06 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Mostly though, Miller, now an NBA sideline reporter for TNT, said she was happy for Prince and urged her not to be daunted by charges her 113-point binge in a lopsided victory was not sportsmanlike.

"That's what the game is all about," she said by phone from Miami, where she was to cover last night's Cleveland Cavaliers-Miami Heat game. "There are special moments and special situations. Instead of people getting their feelings hurt, they really should just pat her on the back."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spcheryl034611654feb03,0,296771.story?coll=ny-basketball-headlines

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 02/03/06 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:

I remember that melee against Springfield. I can't believe their coach still has a job. They stay in some mess even to this day. And even she had the sense to move her team down when they began to suck, btw. There's nothing like PSAL basketball where rivalries turn into riots.

She's crazy. Anyone who wears khaki short shorts and a long trench coat to coach a high school game in January is crazy. Chick looked like Carmen Sandiego. She's also just plain nasty to her team.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about that particular riot. That always happened at our games with them. Their people would be waiting outside for us because they couldn't come to the games.

The bad part was I lived in Springfield's backyard and had to see those gorilla chicks every day on the way home. They already thought I was a traitor.

The 3 years I played, we played them twice a year plus the playoffs. I think we were allowed spectators at one game at their gym and one at ours in all the times we played them.

The riot I was talking about was the one at one of those Flushing schools. We beat them by 40 and started singing the remix to our school fight song (just a bunch of badasses) while we were putting our clothes on over our uniforms (that PSAL ish again) and I think our manager was c-walking on their logo at halfcourt. Next thing I know, the opposing team is throwing ice and issuing threats.

You know half my team (and their girlfriends) was Southside (50 Cent land for all you out of staters) so we had a little altercation on our hands. Once you get them started it's a lost cause, so there was water, weaves and textbooks flying everywhere. I just got dressed, watched the fight, slowly worked my way to the exit with my boyfriend and met up with them crazy chicks from my team at the bus stop.

We had a mini dust up at LaGuardia too. That was the game where I came in and scored 15 straight off the bench and an opposing player punched me in the stomach on the way down from a jumper. By the time I got up to deck her, my teammates had already handled it (I was a guard Laughing ). The poor girl almost got stomped out. It looked like Miami/NY circa '97.

Imagine what would have happened if I had 100.

Damn. Ya'll were some little hooligans. Kleiner's nuttier than a Snickers.

timber wrote:
I heard the PSAL is pissed that protocol wasn't followed by the refs.

As they should be.

timber wrote:
Keegan wrote:
Yeah, I don't think the emotional reactions of people on here mirror the reactions of those actually involved or close to the incident.

I've got no respect for a team that "stops playing D" in the second half and frankly, a team like that deserves to have the score run up against them. You don't stop competing even though you're totally outclassed.

That's exactly what I thought while I was there.

Brandeis was laughing it up afterwards. Had Epiphany sat out, Bergtraum still probably would have won 95-10. They knew that. For teams like Brandeis, PSAL ball is nothing but an after school hangout.

One girl even took a picture of Epiphany on her cell phone. The kids that everyone is lecturing on behalf of, worked up and worried about are quite all right.

But I'd sure hate to be the stick that's been living up some of the adults' asses.

Blasphemy! You know Brandeis was in the lockerroom crying their hearts out about the injustice. They had to be! So what you were there and actually saw what happened. Rolling Eyes

timber wrote:
I like how you conveniently left one out:

1/31/2006
Murry Bergtraum 67 Manhattan Center/Science & Math 50

I mean, fair is fair and for MC, that's an ass whoopin'. Laughing

I swear that score wasn't up when I posted the schedule. It had nothing to do with Manhattan Center being my school. Laughing I knew they lost but I didn't know by how much.

AAEmotion wrote:
And this seems to be the case with what happened in this basketball game - the people that MATTER, dont give two shits, but the people who have no place in the situation are making a big deal out of it.

Very Happy

GlennMacGrady wrote:
And that’s the way it will be.

Laughing

BCBG25 wrote:
Criticism follows in wake of record

Mackey said former Christ the King star players such as Chamique Holdsclaw, Sue Bird and Clare Droesch all could have scored 100 points in a game.

Beyond the fact that Mique is the only player from Christ the King who ever could have done it against any level of competition, Mackey's just mad no one will ever confuse him for Vinny Cannizzaro. I haven't liked Christ the King since he slid down the bench.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 02/03/06 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
Laughing I remember those games. Laughing I can name everytime I lost by more than 25. I don't remember ever blaming the opposing coach. Maybe I'm just different. Like you said, we used to congratulate anyone who gave us 30.

Right! Man I remember we had to play Carver HS, two maybe three times a year, same school "Lake" Jones played for. When we played them, we would debate not if we'd lose but if we could lose by less than 60 points. If we did, we felt we had accomplished something! Laughing

I'm a guard too. During one of our games with them, I did a nice little cross over, drove the lane, rim in view, go up for the lay-in, and "slap!" out of no where comes one of their stars. Smacks my whole shit into the third row of a packed house. All you heard was the crowd go "Ooooh!". Mind you, they were probably up by about 40 at this point. Should she have played nice and let little ole me make my lay up? Hell no! And this girl was a friend of mine.

This is sports and this is a competition. You can't put players in, then tell them to "not" compete. That's all they know to do. That's why they signed up to play. If Carver had put all there subs in, they still would have beaten us by at least 50. We knew that, the fans knew that, our coach knew that, and that's just how it was. I'm not sure how parents felt, but as far as the players and everyone on the court everything was cool. We were all cool and after our ass whippings they'd sometimes show up at our games versus out of city teams, pulling for us. That's just how it was.

hooper1

PostPosted: 02/03/06 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jcentor wrote:
I believe that the Bergtraum coach taught his team all of the wrong lessons by allowing Prince to go for 113 against Brandeis. I am mortified that he allowed his team to win by more than 100 points. It seems as if sportsmanship plays no part in his program. I write more about this on the Double-A Zone.

Fantastic article! You're a great writer. Keep it up!

I think this about sums it up:

"Murray Bergtraum got a lot of publicity because of the performance, but I think it shows a serious lack of compassion and sportsmanship on the part of the coach. He taught his players that the people on the other bench don’t matter, and that it’s okay to embarrass an opponent. How sad."

hooper1

PostPosted: 02/03/06 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jcentor wrote:
I believe that the Bergtraum coach taught his team all of the wrong lessons by allowing Prince to go for 113 against Brandeis. I am mortified that he allowed his team to win by more than 100 points. It seems as if sportsmanship plays no part in his program. I write more about this on the Double-A Zone.

Fantastic article! You're a great writer. Keep it up!

I think this about sums it up:

"Murray Bergtraum got a lot of publicity because of the performance, but I think it shows a serious lack of compassion and sportsmanship on the part of the coach. He taught his players that the people on the other bench don’t matter, and that it’s okay to embarrass an opponent. How sad."

timber

PostPosted: 02/03/06 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
Damn. Ya'll were some little hooligans.

It is what it is.

harlem_basketball wrote:
Blasphemy! You know Brandeis was in the lockerroom crying their hearts out about the injustice. They had to be! So what you were there and actually saw what happened. Rolling Eyes

No, sorry. They were laughing during the game and after the game. Both teams hung out for a while together afterwards too. A few even took the train home together. Maybe that's how they display their anger. Twisted Evil

timber

PostPosted: 02/03/06 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Right! Man I remember we had to play Carver HS, two maybe three times a year, same school "Lake" Jones played for. When we played them, we would debate not if we'd lose but if we could lose by less than 60 points. If we did, we felt we had accomplished something! Laughing

I'm a guard too. During one of our games with them, I did a nice little cross over, drove the lane, rim in view, go up for the lay-in, and "slap!" out of no where comes one of their stars. Smacks my whole shit into the third row of a packed house. All you heard was the crowd go "Ooooh!". Mind you, they were probably up by about 40 at this point. Should she have played nice and let little ole me make my lay up? Hell no! And this girl was a friend of mine.

This is sports and this is a competition. You can't put players in, then tell them to "not" compete. That's all they know to do. That's why they signed up to play. If Carver had put all there subs in, they still would have beaten us by at least 50. We knew that, the fans knew that, our coach knew that, and that's just how it was. I'm not sure how parents felt, but as far as the players and everyone on the court everything was cool. We were all cool and after our ass whippings they'd sometimes show up at our games versus out of city teams, pulling for us. That's just how it was.

Laughing It's a game. As long as no one disses anyone's mama, it's all good.

I played against Chamique Holdsclaw once in a summer tournament. My team lost by 40 but we still had fun.

I guarded her on one possession and got beat so bad off the dribble, I bent down and grabbed my shin like someone had shot me in it just to save face.

Tina Charles gave my team 30 a couple of years ago in a summer game. We went to McDonald's when the game was over.

Matee Ajavon broke one of my teammates' ankles so bad the girl cringes whenever she watches a Rutgers game. She watches every single Rutgers game in person.

Kia Vaughn abused my best friend at Rucker in front of half of Harlem. It was so bad it was laughable. They hang out whenever Kia's in the city.

Smush Parker used to beat me 21-3 (on my best day) in pick up games back in the day. He even dunked on me once or twice. I turned out to be fine.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/05/06 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This got a mention on SNL during Weekend Update.

To be fair, she was playing the Knicks...

PostPosted: 02/05/06 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This got a mention on SNL during Weekend Update.

To be fair, she was playing the Knicks...

Great minds think alike Pilight Laughing

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 02/06/06 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
Laughing It's a game. As long as no one disses anyone's mama, it's all good.

I played against Chamique Holdsclaw once in a summer tournament. My team lost by 40 but we still had fun.

I guarded her on one possession and got beat so bad off the dribble, I bent down and grabbed my shin like someone had shot me in it just to save face.

Tina Charles gave my team 30 a couple of years ago in a summer game. We went to McDonald's when the game was over.

Matee Ajavon broke one of my teammates' ankles so bad the girl cringes whenever she watches a Rutgers game. She watches every single Rutgers game in person.

Kia Vaughn abused my best friend at Rucker in front of half of Harlem. It was so bad it was laughable. They hang out whenever Kia's in the city.

Smush Parker used to beat me 21-3 (on my best day) in pick up games back in the day. He even dunked on me once or twice. I turned out to be fine.

Smush is still a loser. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: