RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Diana Taurasi "Excuse of the Game" Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/24/12 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Dee will be encouraged to pick up technical fouls (with the promise to pay her fines for her) quickly if/when she returns.

Because really, she could get herself ejected by halftime any time she wants. Laughing Laughing (or the first quarter, really..)

re wisdom teeth: depends on the person..I know people who were completely out for a week..and there was a Uconn basketball player who played a day after getting his Wisdom teeth removed.

PostPosted: 08/24/12 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have some posters and the like...so I say yeah we'll come up with a grab bag but I'll let Queenie determine what.

But by the end of the Season and the draft lottery I just hope Myers, DT, and all other Merc Brass has a reason to recite this at the lame excuses...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lJhEzMaH4

PostPosted: 08/24/12 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Realcomplicated wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Beat me to it. (I was holding off because too many Mercury fans seem to have left their senses of humor at home when it comes to this. And I was even looking for prizes to give away...)

You can still give prizes! I was hoping folks would have some fun with it but the same debate seems to have moved over here.

I think she's heartbroken over K. Stewart cheating on Robert Pattinson.

Kristen Stewart. Worlds most talentless actress.

She's the highest paid hollywood actress to date so, someone thinks she has talent! Wink

I think she's pretty damn good. There are a few off beat movies she did on Netflix and she just has a knack for pouring her heart into a role. So maybe she's a bit one dimensional in that she tends to play the same saucy, dark, vulnerable waif like girl, but she has that act down pat, and she can do the transformation thing too.

She has a substantial body of work. About 28 movies in 13 years. I've seen some of it, and I've seen Twilight. I don't know about the books, are there books? But the screen play of Twilight, which is the only one I saw, and IMO the screen play borrows from Roswell and Buffy the Vampire slayer. Good girl, good vampire, good girl good alien. And I think the role she plays is sort of packaged, so I don't think it's a real awe inspiring thing for her to begin with, albeit it made her rich.

I've seen:
Speak, Welcome To The Rileys, The Yellow Handkerchief, and Adventure Land and The Cake Eaters, these are all above average films IMO and her acting is very solid and credible in all of these roles.

This is typical career path, she was a very good actress, which is how she get's the Twilight role, and the first big payout, and then she gets caught in packaged hyped films with IMO a very average screen play. So she was damn good when she started and the payoff jobs are very average in my opinion.

You know what vann, I like her as a young girl in Panic Room with Jody Foster Smile

vanyogan

PostPosted: 08/24/12 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Realcomplicated wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
Realcomplicated wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Beat me to it. (I was holding off because too many Mercury fans seem to have left their senses of humor at home when it comes to this. And I was even looking for prizes to give away...)

You can still give prizes! I was hoping folks would have some fun with it but the same debate seems to have moved over here.

She's the highest paid hollywood actress to date so, someone thinks she has talent! Wink

I think she's pretty damn good. There are a few off beat movies she did on Netflix and she just has a knack for pouring her heart into a role. So maybe she's a bit one dimensional in that she tends to play the same saucy, dark, vulnerable waif like girl, but she has that act down pat, and she can do the transformation thing too.

She has a substantial body of work. About 28 movies in 13 years. I've seen some of it, and I've seen Twilight. I don't know about the books, are there books? But the screen play of Twilight, which is the only one I saw, and IMO the screen play borrows from Roswell and Buffy the Vampire slayer. Good girl, good vampire, good girl good alien. And I think the role she plays is sort of packaged, so I don't think it's a real awe inspiring thing for her to begin with, albeit it made her rich.

I've seen:
Speak, Welcome To The Rileys, The Yellow Handkerchief, and Adventure Land and The Cake Eaters, these are all above average films IMO and her acting is very solid and credible in all of these roles.

This is typical career path, she was a very good actress, which is how she get's the Twilight role, and the first big payout, and then she gets caught in packaged hyped films with IMO a very average screen play. So she was damn good when she started and the payoff jobs are very average in my opinion.

You know what vann, I like her as a young girl in Panic Room with Jody Foster Smile

I keep reminding myself to watch that. Don't remember ever seeing it.

PostPosted: 08/24/12 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
I dunno it looked like LJ came back a little too soon or played to much to soon because she looked a little out of sorts. Wink

So I'm going with the fact that when you have your wisdom teeth out and even 1 is impacted it sucks. So she probably wasn't ready to come back.

I had four wisdom teeth removed at once. Two were impacted. I was back at work 3 days later.

I will assume your job is just like Dianas where you have to run up and back over and over while shooting, right? Rolling Eyes

Nope. But if I could return to chasing little kids around all day in 3 days after having a rather invasive wisdom tooth removal process, princess Diana should be able to return to a gig, even in a reduced capacity after a week. That's IF a wisdom tooth thing is even what happened. Again we're all speculating here because they won't tell us anything at all.

Apologies, though, that's not what you were looking for.

did you expect a personal phone call? It was in the newspaper what more can they do?

Last edited by caune on 08/24/12 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/24/12 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
We have some posters and the like...so I say yeah we'll come up with a grab bag but I'll let Queenie determine what.

But by the end of the Season and the draft lottery I just hope Myers, DT, and all other Merc Brass has a reason to recite this at the lame excuses...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lJhEzMaH4

What about if she plays? Because I expect her to be on the court tomorrow night.

Realcomplicated

PostPosted: 08/24/12 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Realcomplicated wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
Realcomplicated wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I've seen:

I keep reminding myself to watch that. Don't remember ever seeing it.

Great movie and a must see for you Very Happy

scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/24/12 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Realcomplicated wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

bringing in mega bucks at the box office doesn't necessarily translate to talent. Wink

PostPosted: 08/24/12 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Realcomplicated wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

bringing in mega bucks at the box office doesn't necessarily translate to talent. Wink

I didn't say it did and I'm talking about what she's being paid for being such a sucky actress (as claimed)...They're the damn fools then!

Tally24

PostPosted: 08/24/12 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

What about if she plays? Because I expect her to be on the court tomorrow night.

We may not agree on much, but we agree on this Wink!
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/25/12 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

I dunno, the Merc are playing the Fever..Catch is on the other team.

I think there's a perfectly legitimate "DNP -Preventing Injury" excuse here.

PostPosted: 08/25/12 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

I dunno, the Merc are playing the Fever..Catch is on the other team.

I think there's a perfectly legitimate "DNP -Preventing Injury" excuse here.

Pulling a Parker? Hmmm...

But honestly, if they had her practice and had articles talking about her return they really can only pull the "last minute scratch" thing once. You've gotten the fans all hyped up for her return and it's a Saturday night game. Not playing her again would be just cruel and I don't think they'll do that.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/25/12 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
You've gotten the fans all hyped up for her return and it's a Saturday night game. Not playing her again would be just cruel and I don't think they'll do that.

They might try to steal Griner from Tulsa, but they wouldn't dare be cruel.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/25/12 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
You've gotten the fans all hyped up for her return and it's a Saturday night game. Not playing her again would be just cruel and I don't think they'll do that.

They might try to steal Griner from Tulsa, but they wouldn't dare be cruel.

They'd never be cruel to their fans: the Best Fans in the WNBA!

Seriously, as the past few years have shown having the biggest odds does not always translate into the #1 pick.

FS02

PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is so funny... average people have to show up for work when they're really sick. If you've ever had a real job, you know this.

PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DNP- Hurt Feelings

C'mon everyone stop being so mean.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
This is so funny... average people have to show up for work when they're really sick. If you've ever had a real job, you know this.

At this point I'd be more inclined to believe that any tanking would be controlled by the organization rather than a player.

caune

PostPosted: 08/25/12 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:

Um, since when is being an athlete a real job?
People who get paid to perform on court, or on stage for that matter, have talent up the wazoo and they get paid and treated way above the average person because of their talent. Just the way it works, so again making comparisons to us average folks just does not fly.

And just an FYI, when you get really sick there are these things called sick days, or Personal time, in a lot of companies. Your co workers would appreciate you use them so as not to spread your sickness Laughing

PostPosted: 08/25/12 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael Jordan put on a performance of a lifetime while fighting the flu and having to be helped to the bench at times.

That being said, the only legitimate excuse now is the walking Ebola.

PostPosted: 08/25/12 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The tanking aspect is pretty much out of the picture ...

If Seattle only wins three games (they have two against Tulsa and one against Chicago) the rest of the way, and loses twice to Phoenix, the Storm will finish 13-21.

To match that, Phoenix must go 9-3, and they have six games left against Indiana, Connecticut, Minnesota, San Antonio and L.A. Even with Taurasi, that's asking a lot -- with Taurasi, Dupree and Taylor, it still wouldn't be a done deal.

So at this point, it's really just about not jerking the fans around. If she's not going to play this season, they really should have said so before the summer; if she's not going to play the rest of the way, announce it now.

PostPosted: 08/25/12 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The tanking aspect is pretty much out of the picture ...

If Seattle only wins three games (they have two against Tulsa and one against Chicago) the rest of the way, and loses twice to Phoenix, the Storm will finish 13-21.

To match that, Phoenix must go 9-3, and they have six games left against Indiana, Connecticut, Minnesota, San Antonio and L.A. Even with Taurasi, that's asking a lot -- with Taurasi, Dupree and Taylor, it still wouldn't be a done deal.

So at this point, it's really just about not jerking the fans around. If she's not going to play this season, they really should have said so before the summer; if she's not going to play the rest of the way, announce it now.

It's not just about missing the playoffs, they want to maximize the number of lottery balls they get. It is still a tight race to the bottom.

PostPosted: 08/25/12 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
FS02 wrote:

People who get paid to perform on court, or on stage for that matter, have talent up the wazoo and they get paid and treated way above the average person because of their talent. Just the way it works, so again making comparisons to us average folks just does not fly.

And just an FYI, when you get really sick there are these things called sick days, or Personal time, in a lot of companies. Your co workers would appreciate you use them so as not to spread your sickness Laughing

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen!

Shades

PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
FS02 wrote:

Taurasi must have had like a whole season of personal time built up Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mb1

PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Taurasi must have had like a whole season of personal time built up Wink

Let me see...most (some) jobs you get a week of time the first year, 2 weeks the next, and three weeks each year after...

so expect her back next season (even though she may play tonight).

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
pilight

PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Attacked by birds at shootaround

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: