RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Candace Parker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/12/12 3:14 pm    ::: Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

Parker's transcendent performance in the gold medal game shows just how wonderful a player she can be. She is marvelously athletic for her size, and has a tremendous array of skills. She's very likely to be the WNBA MVP, and deservedly so, because the rarest of skills in the women's game is the ability to score lots of points, and Parker can do that. She's also an outstanding rebounder and shotblocker, and for her size, dribbles as well as anyone I've ever seen.

I get frustrated watching her because she doesn't seem to want to apply those tremendous talents to playing defense, which is an important part of the game, and sometimes I let that frustration get in the way of my appreciation of how good she is.

She's a great player, one of the best offensive players ever, and if she stays healthy, she's going to have a tremendous legacy to talk about when she goes into the Hall of Fame.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 5:02 pm    ::: Re: Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Parker's transcendent performance in the gold medal game shows just how wonderful a player she can be. She is marvelously athletic for her size, and has a tremendous array of skills. She's very likely to be the WNBA MVP, and deservedly so, because the rarest of skills in the women's game is the ability to score lots of points, and Parker can do that. She's also an outstanding rebounder and shotblocker, and for her size, dribbles as well as anyone I've ever seen.

I get frustrated watching her because she doesn't seem to want to apply those tremendous talents to playing defense, which is an important part of the game, and sometimes I let that frustration get in the way of my appreciation of how good she is.

She's a great player, one of the best offensive players ever, and if she stays healthy, she's going to have a tremendous legacy to talk about when she goes into the Hall of Fame.

aha! this must be one of the "Parker bashers" of whom 2005 writes. Rolling Eyes

parker is frustrating to watch, as is any great talent, when effort level put forth leaves much to be desired.

that's why it was a real joy watching her in london- well before the gold medal game. she busted butt, like i've never seen before, during "non-boxscore" moments.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 8:07 pm    ::: Re: Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ClayK wrote:

parker is frustrating to watch, as is any great talent, when effort level put forth leaves much to be desired.

that's why it was a real joy watching her in london- well before the gold medal game. she busted butt, like i've never seen before, during "non-boxscore" moments.

I think the fact that someone had to create a separate thread to say they weren't bashing and to clarify statements probably means there was a level of "bashing" or at least misunderstanding going on.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 11:58 pm    ::: Re: Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I think the fact that someone had to create a separate thread to say they weren't bashing and to clarify statements probably means there was a level of "bashing" or at least misunderstanding going on.

as jimi said:

"misunderstanding and a no-good woman....lord they both have caused my heart to bleed! Blee-heed, hee-heed, blee-hee-hee-heed!"

making clinical observations that are "negative" is not bashing although, imo, such a thing is often automatically labeled as "hating" on internet forums.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 1:05 am    ::: Re: Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

You know what, it really sucks that the Olympics for WBB fans turned into a freaking bitch fest.

Bitching about six Uconn players on the team. Bitching about Bird. Bitching about Parker. Bitching about Geno. Bitching about Diana. Bitching about player minutes distribution.

They were the freaking USA team. We couldn't just support them.

Geno's the best darn coach in women's basketball. IMO, in basketball. We couldn't trust him to be impartial. Really? We couldn't trust that maybe his decisions for doing things weren't from a bias? I've watched Geno for 10 years. I've watched a majority of his interviews, the ones only people in Connecticut get to see. Heck, I learned the game of basketball from him.

And I can tell you right now, Geno thinks the world of Angel, Sylvia, and Tamika. He's said as much, quite often. And I can tell you, from the way he treated her he (yes, by the way he treated her) he felt the same about Parker.

And speaking of Parker, she struggled some this tournament. She has flaws as a basketball player. (Please name a player that doesn't.) She was doing things that Candace doesn't normally do (missing a whole lot of layups) Doesn't change the fact that she was playing for team USA. She was working her ass off. She reacted the right way when she was brought off the bench. And oh yea, she kicked ass in the GOLD medal game.

Taurasi struggled shooting early on. And she got herself in foul trouble against Australia. But her Bird and Tamika were the team leaders. She actually played very well defensively this tournament. She was passing the ball beautifully. And her teammates and coaches considered her the "heart and soul" of the team.

Bird will never have gaudy numbers. Except that statistic before the gold medal game of going 100 minutes with 1 turnover. Kind of sounds like a perfect point guard to me. Oh, and she scored when she needed to. She kept us in the game against Australia, and opened the game up against France.

I could continue, but my point is..this team gave us a lot to root for and enjoy. And instead, there was just a bunch of criticism and bitching about superstars who won a gold medal in dominating fashion. That's not to say that the above, or anyone on the team isn't flawed. They are. And we'll obviously discuss those on a message board. But people were just obnoxious this tournament.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 8:50 am    ::: Re: Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
You know what, it really sucks that the Olympics for WBB fans turned into a freaking bitch fest.

Bitching about six Uconn players on the team. Bitching about Bird. Bitching about Parker. Bitching about Geno. Bitching about Diana. Bitching about player minutes distribution.

Geno's the best darn coach in women's basketball. IMO, in basketball. We couldn't trust him to be impartial. Really? We couldn't trust that maybe his decisions for doing things weren't from a bias? I've watched Geno for 10 years. I've watched a majority of his interviews, the ones only people in Connecticut get to see. Heck, I learned the game of basketball from him.

And I can tell you right now, Geno thinks the world of Angel, Sylvia, and Tamika. He's said as much, quite often. And I can tell you, from the way he treated her he (yes, by the way he treated her) he felt the same about Parker.

And speaking of Parker, she struggled some this tournament. She has flaws as a basketball player. (Please name a player that doesn't.) She was doing things that Candace doesn't normally do (missing a whole lot of layups) Doesn't change the fact that she was playing for team USA. She was working her ass off. She reacted the right way when she was brought off the bench. And oh yea, she kicked ass in the GOLD medal game.

Taurasi struggled shooting early on. And she got herself in foul trouble against Australia. But her Bird and Tamika were the team leaders. She actually played very well defensively this tournament. She was passing the ball beautifully. And her teammates and coaches considered her the "heart and soul" of the team.

Bird will never have gaudy numbers. Except that statistic before the gold medal game of going 100 minutes with 1 turnover. Kind of sounds like a perfect point guard to me. Oh, and she scored when she needed to. She kept us in the game against Australia, and opened the game up against France.

I could continue, but my point is..this team gave us a lot to root for and enjoy. And instead, there was just a bunch of criticism and bitching about superstars who won a gold medal in dominating fashion. That's not to say that the above, or anyone on the team isn't flawed. They are. And we'll obviously discuss those on a message board. But people were just obnoxious this tournament.

FINALLY someone said what I've been thinking.

ucdt3

PostPosted: 08/13/12 10:46 am    ::: Re: Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

X___________________________________

What I...HAVE...BEEN...SAYING...since only God knows. Thank you mercfan!!!! You hit the nail right on the head. I guess some people just aren't happy with their lives and have to bitch about something in order to feel satisfied and fulfilled! I loved every minute of the Olympics and as you can see from my lack of posts in the last week, I just gave up wasting my time trying to convince the haters otherwise. I'm sad they're over, but I'm soooo excited and thrilled we won GOLD!!!! Team USA is the best and I can't wait for Rio 2012!!!! Very Happy
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/13/12 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really surprised you all are "surprised". I had several male friends who are definitely not on this board who only watch women's basketball in passing, who were referring to the team as UconnSA.

Did people honestly think folks wouldn't look at the coach, look at the makeup of the team, look at the minutes and think people wouldn't "bitch"? Even the commentators were commenting on it. Casual fans were commenting on it. That should have been expected with how the team was comprised.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
I'm really surprised you all are "surprised". I had several male friends who are definitely not on this board who only watch women's basketball in passing, who were referring to the team as UconnSA.

Did people honestly think folks wouldn't look at the coach, look at the makeup of the team, look at the minutes and think people wouldn't "bitch"? Even the commentators were commenting on it. Casual fans were commenting on it. That should have been expected with how the team was comprised.

Maybe its because I expected knowledgeable fans to realize that the players that played EARNED their time.

They decimated their opponents as a team, and it seems like all I kept seeing was Candace isn't starting, why isn't Angel getting more time, the team needs this, the team needs that.

Whaah, whaah, whaaah, all I heard were people bitching because they don't like Auriemma and the school he coaches.

To even question whether the man can coach, is freaking asinine.

Just my opinion of course. I know, I know, I'm biased. You're going to say it, because anyone that defends the make up of this team is biased.

gpark33

PostPosted: 08/13/12 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They went over and did what they were supposed to do and IMHO, that's all that matters. I couldn't be prouder of them.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Maybe its because I expected knowledgeable fans to realize that the players that played EARNED their time.

They decimated their opponents as a team, and it seems like all I kept seeing was Candace isn't starting, why isn't Angel getting more time, the team needs this, the team needs that.

Whaah, whaah, whaaah, all I heard were people bitching because they don't like Auriemma and the school he coaches.

To even question whether the man can coach, is freaking asinine.

Just my opinion of course. I know, I know, I'm biased. You're going to say it, because anyone that defends the make up of this team is biased.

X____________________________

And there's commenting on the amount of Uconn players. (Where really, only two of the six where questionable. And one of them was only there because Griner dropped out. ) And making like they didn't deserve to be there.

And it went beyond that. Acting like Geno was being biased because Bird and Taurasi were getting the most minutes? really? Didn't they get the most minutes last Olympics too? It couldn't have been because they're the best damn backcourt in the world and have played together for 12 years so they know each other's games inside and out. Nope. Couldn't have been that. Obviously Auriemma is too biased to do his job properly.

And then the next highest for minutes was Tina. Couldn't have been because she's the only other pure center on the team and Fowles was hurt. Nope..Auriemma showing his bias again. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/13/12 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Well, statistically the three best players were McCoughtry, Parker and Whalen, and they finished 9-6-8 in minutes played. But I'm more than pleased with the way things worked out and truly appreciate the work everyone involved put in...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/13/12 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Well, statistically the three best players were McCoughtry, Parker and Whalen, and they finished 9-6-8 in minutes played. But I'm more than pleased with the way things worked out and truly appreciate the work everyone involved put in...

Statistics don't tell the whole story, of course, but really the bold is the point of emphasis that I should have just mentioned and left it at that. Everyone involved put in a lot of love, work, and sacrifice to get to the point they achieved. Including Auriemma.

That's what doesn't seem to be appreciated or respected.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/13/12 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="gpark33"]They went over and did what they were supposed to do and IMHO, that's all that matters. I couldn't be prouder of them.[/quote

Agree 100%

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/13/12 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

And that in turn tells you where the bulk of the bitching from "knowledgeable" fans came from. That's why the bitching happened. But, hey, we won the gold, everyone contributed in some way.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

And that in turn tells you where the bulk of the bitching from "knowledgeable" fans came from. That's why the bitching happened. But, hey, we won the gold, everyone contributed in some way.

Except Parker struggled for most of the tournament, despite what the statistics say.

Bird had a significantly better assist to turnover ratio than Whalen. So hard to say Whalen was that much better being the play the PG position. Bird also kept us in the game game against the Aussies in the first half and broke the game open in the gold medal game. You are also going to give the starting point guard more minutes than the backup point guard.

And Angel happened to play at a position that's stacked. And at the end of the day, Taurasi..and probably SA and Catchings were going to get more minutes than her, regardless of coach.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So when Parker struggles its World War I, but when Taurasi struggles its okay? Confused

PostPosted: 08/13/12 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
So when Parker struggles its World War I, but when Taurasi struggles its okay? Confused

Think you're missing her point.

That was only said because PD said that she was statistically better. The point was that the stats didn't matter.

it's not World War I when Parker struggles either! Too many are making a big deal out of nothing!

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/13/12 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

That was only said because PD said that she was statistically better. The point was that the stats didn't matter.

it's not World War I when Parker struggles either! Too many are making a big deal out of nothing!

Maybe I am missing the point because it seems like Parker is getting more attention about struggling than anybody.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Maybe I am missing the point because it seems like Parker is getting more attention about struggling than anybody.

What are you talking about she got 13 votes for MVP

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/13/12 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

What are you talking about she got 13 votes for MVP

Not sure what this has to do with my comment.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Parker was part of the reason I made my long post in the first place. I was sick of the bitching about EVERYTHING with the U.S. team.

There was a ton of people bitching about various Uconn related things. But the stuff about Parker annoyed me too.

I for one, enjoyed watching Parker work her butt off, play well in the Gold Medal game, and handle the Geno treatment with a mixture of class and "fire."

My point was in response to someone saying knowledgeable fans were "bitching" because Parker was getting less minutes when she was statistically doing very well. When really, she struggled a bit during games in the tournament. Yes, everyone did at times, and it's okay for everyone. But my point was Parker didn't play like the best player on the team as her stats might suggest.

And so saying "we were bitching because Geno was obviously showing bias by not playing Parker" is misleading because the statistics aren't telling the whole story.

PostPosted: 08/14/12 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

She who gets the most hype must suffer the most scorn.
That's just the way sports fans roll.

PostPosted: 08/14/12 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First world problems...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: