RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Heart And Soul of Women's Hoops
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 08/13/12 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine anyone has to be taught not to deface a flag. But then again, I am constantly amazed at the things I learn on Rebkell.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/13/12 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
I can't imagine anyone has to be taught not to deface a flag. But then again, I am constantly amazed at the things I learn on Rebkell.

But you'd have to be taught that writing on the flag constitutes "defacing" for it to even cross your mind. It's true that flag etiquette is no longer common knowledge for the most part.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

I'm sure they didn't consider it defacing in their minds. That is a rather inflammatory and vitriolic way of describing what they did in a moment of great pride in what they had done for their country. I bet someone told you how to handle the flag. You weren't born with that knowledge. My father was a veteran and he told me when I was young. Not everyone knows. The flag is plastered on t-shirts, posters, ads, bill boards, roadside diners in all kinds of fashion and form. How do you really expect everyone to know what is expected of them and how they handle the flag? We can't. But that does not mean they don't respect, honor, and have pride in their flag and country.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to mention that some people don't much care about etiquette...

PostPosted: 08/13/12 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone connected with the team surley would have known about flag usage and care and honor. Someone. Then again this also got me during Tea party rallies. Groups of people wrapping themselves in the IDEA of the flag without fully understanding its meaning or care.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I was in elementary school I learned 3 things about the flag, it should not be burned, it should not touch the floor and it should not be defaced. From my understanding defacing the flag meant putting something bad on it, ala writing slurs on it, painting racist logos on it. But in terms of writing on it in general I didn't understand defacing to mean that.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/13/12 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember post 9-11 when suddenly everyone was flying a flag...except few lit it up at night, or took it down at night, or brought it in out of the rain. A perfect chance to educate everyone on flag etiquette somewhat wasted.

But I tend to look at the intent behind it, anyway. If they're proud of the country and displaying the flag with that in mind, particularly if they're in the position of actually representing the country, it's hard to get angry about ultimately harmless ignorance. And better to take the opportunity for education.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

suemar wrote:
Someone connected with the team surley would have known about flag usage and care and honor. Someone. Then again this also got me during Tea party rallies. Groups of people wrapping themselves in the IDEA of the flag without fully understanding its meaning or care.

Only if they told someone about or showed someone the flag before it was pulled out in public. A lot of gold medal athletes were handed flags from someone. It wasn't in their backpacks or anything. Nonetheless, I bet some of those athletes accidentally dragged parts of the flag on the ground and committed other faux pas that they were not even aware they committed. Heat of the moment, passion, excitement at winning a gold medal for their country; I'm willing to forgive them. None were done with ill will or contempt. I think we have to give them a pass.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

Take a look. Most people probably only know half or none.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like I get some odd looks by turning and saluting the flag at games during the anthem. Or at least, it's a small minority that turns, a higher percentage puts their hands on their hearts in the non-uniform salute. They used to display it on the court, but now I have to turn and crane my neck to the rafters (it's practically right above me!). #firstworldproblems Wink

PostPosted: 08/13/12 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
I feel like I get some odd looks by turning and saluting the flag at games during the anthem. Or at least, it's a small minority that turns, a higher percentage puts their hands on their hearts in the non-uniform salute. They used to display it on the court, but now I have to turn and crane my neck to the rafters (it's practically right above me!). #firstworldproblems Wink
\

#firstworldproblemsindeed Wink

PostPosted: 08/14/12 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry for coming in late - but that's what happens when you're banned - Embarassed

DT is NOT one of my favorite players - But I didn't see anything wrong with what she said. She was asked a yes/no question and answered it honestly. And in competition, I don't see where you need to feel "sorry" for an opponent unless some tragedy had hit them or something. I doubt if they would have been sorry to see the US lose.

Quote:
I remember post 9-11 when suddenly everyone was flying a flag...except few lit it up at night, or took it down at night, or brought it in out of the rain. A perfect chance to educate everyone on flag etiquette somewhat wasted.

My sister-in-law was in Manhattan during the 9-11 attacks, and had to walk home to Brooklyn. One of the funniest things she told us was that she had never seen so many patriotic thugs on the street corners. They were ready to go to war with their zip guns and switch blades. Laughing 9-11 was a unifying time in America.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: