RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA women's basketball MVP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which women was the MVP on the basketball team?
Taurasi 12.4 pt/game
23%
 23%  [ 15 ]
McCoughtry 10.9 pt/game
25%
 25%  [ 16 ]
Charles 10.5 pt/game
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Parker 10.5 pt/game
23%
 23%  [ 15 ]
Moore 9.0 pt/game
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Whalen 8.0 pt/game
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Augustus 7.8 pt/game
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Catchings 6.1 pt/game
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Bird 6.1 pt/game
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Fowles 6.0 pt/game
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cash 3.3 pt/game
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Jones 3.1 pt/game
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 63

Marjie

PostPosted: 08/12/12 7:41 pm    ::: USA women's basketball MVP Reply Reply with quote

Who was the American MVP of the women's basketball team?

Stats: http://www.usabasketball.com/misc/12_woly_stats_usa.pdf

P.S. CBS news has a men's poll with King James ahead with 39%, Durant 30% in second.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-33747_162-57491695/who-was-the-olympic-basketball-squads-most-valuable-player/?tag=cbsnewsLeadStoriesAreaMain

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/12/12 7:56 pm    ::: Re: USA women's basketball MVP Reply Reply with quote

Tina. She was the best player in the only close game.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Easily Angel McCoughtry. She was second in scoring, got 20 freaking steals and did all this in only 14 minutes of play. Imagine if she had had more minutes. For this, I forgive that dunk attempt.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Easily Angel McCoughtry. She was second in scoring, got 20 freaking steals and did all this in only 14 minutes of play. Imagine if she had had more minutes. For this, I forgive that dunk attempt.

Ya know, the Dark Angel has to have at least one selfish moment. Laughing However, her Olympic play was reminiscent of why I fell in love with her play to begin with during Louisville's magical 2009 March Madness run.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everybody did a disappearing act in one game or another so this is actually a really tough pick. Angel certainly did more with her minutes than anyone else but hard to give the MVP to someone who played less than 15 minutes. (How many minutes she SHOULD have played is a whole other story)

I went with Parker, but it could have been Diana or Tina...

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/12/12 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I chose Angel ie: Switzerland!!!

pilight

PostPosted: 08/12/12 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every time McCoughtry came in, good things happened.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every time Maya Moore came in, an angel sprouted wings

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sbjules

PostPosted: 08/12/12 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Every time McCoughtry came in, good things happened.

That's exactly what I thought. She really brought it.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/12/12 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard call but I think the voting is fairly representational of how MVP was shared among the top three vote getters. It seems as if Angel's maturation is getting her more fans and respect. (Except when it comes to playing time on the national team, but thats a hard nut to crack with so many players, most who have seniority over her. Come Rio she might be a starter?)

nsw43

PostPosted: 08/12/12 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker was so dominant in the gold medal game I had to go with her. She really put Team USA on her shoulders, and it was in all facets of the game. MVP level work.

Good things did happen when Angel came in in the earlier games but she wasn't very effective in the semifinal or gold medal games. Also she was usually in with Whalen, who to my mind was the unsung hero of the team.

grrlagent

PostPosted: 08/13/12 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Hard call but I think the voting is fairly representational of how MVP was shared among the top three vote getters. It seems as if Angel's maturation is getting her more fans and respect. (Except when it comes to playing time on the national team, but thats a hard nut to crack with so many players, most who have seniority over her. Come Rio she might be a starter?)

I am now a fan. I thought she was THE spark in several games; extremely passionate; extremely physical; extremely intense...yet restrained. She was my least favorite player up until the Olympics. She changed my mind.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird.

Whalen second.

Those two ran this team almost flawlessly. The others don't do half the things they did without those two getting them the ball in the right places at the right times.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/13/12 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plenty of timely play by multiple players, but I doubt we win this gold without Sue Bird on this team. I'm serious. At a minimum it would have been A LOT closer...we'd have sweat. I can't say enough about how much more focused the team looked when Geno put her in. I'm not talking about the beginning of the games, when both sides are feeling one another out. I'm not talking about when everything is clicking, and we're running the floor for fun and easy baskets in transition. I'm talking about when we can't get anything going offensively, we're turning the ball over, we're taking ill-advised shots (plenty of those to go aroun) and we're looking chaotic. Add Sue Bird: problem solved. She may never be the visibly firey leader, she's got Taurasi to fill that role. But it was gratifying to see how much everyone looked to her leadership and listened to her in huddles, etc.

That said, I realize that the typical measure of MVP is in stats, particularly scoring. So Whalen isn't going to get any love either, though her contributions were significant as well. I loved her and Bird in the back-court together. And I loved how we could switch up our styles of play with her in their versus Sue. She just had a great tournament. There's just no love for PGs out there! Laughing

I have to agree that Angel really impressed me the most consistently, not with the flashy steals, etc., but with her maturity, and the brilliant way she filled and played her essential role. I

I am grateful and appreciative of what Tina did stepping in for Fowles. Parker also had her excellent moments, particularly in the GM game. You take the good with the bad in order to experience the transcendent, I guess. Wink Not a bash! But post players can rarely do it on their own.

And whether she's putting up the stats or not, Diana helps her team be better usually when she's on the floor, and we saw that plenty this tournament as well (though overall her performance was subpar for her Wink). I think she gives any team confidence that when the chips are down, they can score a lot in a hurry. And she also provides that catalyst. Keeps us from falling asleep or becoming dull. Thankfully, there was never a point that we needed only her to take over a game, though. What with her lingering injury and all.. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 08/13/12 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, sometimes there isn't just one player who stands head and shoulders above the the rest of the roster over an eight-game span -- or even a Mohawk above.

Most of the players had their moments, but there was only one close game, and in that one, several players had key stretches of outstanding play. And Parker, who played so well in the rout in the finals, played poorly against Australia.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for Angel, because I'm a Dream homer. Given her 9th place in minutes played she could not be a candidate for MVP. On this team, there really was no MVP. They would have won without any one of the players.

Angel's numbers tell an interesting story:

First in shooting % Very Happy
First in steals
First in TO Embarassed
2nd in scoring
2nd in blocks
5th in rebounds
5th in assists
9th in minutes......... Question

As for the last number, I would say the coachaing staff deserves a Embarassed

RP

PostPosted: 08/13/12 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCoughtry was the best player by far in this tournament, that I'm sure of.

sipfinest

PostPosted: 08/13/12 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Auriemma was the MVP

PostPosted: 08/13/12 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird. Focusing on the stats always gives an incomplete idea of a player's impact. Angel put in some really good minutes and Parker was the spark in the final game but the story was the point guards being able to distribute the ball and find the hot hand. In the one truly close game, Bird switched to shooting guard and pulled a "Die Bitches" or two on the Opals to pull away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: