RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Women's 800m

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/11/12 2:07 pm    ::: Women's 800m Reply Reply with quote

Silver Medal for Caster Semenya of South Africa

Mariya Savinova of Russia took Gold

PostPosted: 08/12/12 9:04 pm    ::: Re: Women's 800m Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

That was a bizarre race; not that I followed the event that closely over the past few world-class meets, but I'd never seen anyone close out a race so strongly as Caster did, to come from dead last to second place. Amazing.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

did anyone see the segment mary carrillo did on caster the other evening? it was disgraceful how they lied to that young girl that she was going in for a doping test and actually did a pelvic exam on her. she was tested again the night before she ran in the world championships (i think); she went out the next day and won. talk about grace under fire. CONGRATS CASTER.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Caster Semenya Lose the Women's 800 Meters on Purpose?

Quote:
After the race, track and field aficionados questioned her tactics. The BBC’s David Ornstein said it appeared that Semenya “had more left in the tank.” His story quoted BBC commentator Kelly Holmes, who won this event in the 2004 Olympics, suggesting that Semenya hadn’t made her best effort: “She looked very strong, she didn't look like she went up a gear, she wasn't grimacing at all. I don't know if her head was in it, when she crossed the line she didn't look affected." Meanwhile, Sports Illustrated senior writer Tim Layden tweeted that Semenya “seemed oddly disengaged most of race and not tired at end.”

http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2012/08/11/caster_semenya_2012_olympics_did_the_south_african_runner_lose_the_women_s_800_meters_on_purpose_.html

PostPosted: 08/13/12 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Did Caster Semenya Lose the Women's 800 Meters on Purpose?

Quote:
After the race, track and field aficionados questioned her tactics. The BBC’s David Ornstein said it appeared that Semenya “had more left in the tank.” His story quoted BBC commentator Kelly Holmes, who won this event in the 2004 Olympics, suggesting that Semenya hadn’t made her best effort: “She looked very strong, she didn't look like she went up a gear, she wasn't grimacing at all. I don't know if her head was in it, when she crossed the line she didn't look affected." Meanwhile, Sports Illustrated senior writer Tim Layden tweeted that Semenya “seemed oddly disengaged most of race and not tired at end.”

http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2012/08/11/caster_semenya_2012_olympics_did_the_south_african_runner_lose_the_women_s_800_meters_on_purpose_.html

That crossed my mind, but....WHY? And if she DID 'lose' on purpose, couldn't it have been done more subtley? Just bizarre.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought it was just an example of a younger, fairly inexperienced runner. She just waited too long to make her move. When you know it's all on you, it's hard to get all visibly upset about it as a top athlete, at least depending on your personality. And given her grace under fire in recent years, that's how I interpreted her "disengaged" persona. But then I get accused of the same thing, so perhaps I'm just projecting. Wink

It could have been thumbing her nose at the whole thing, but I prefer my interpretation.

PostPosted: 08/13/12 10:26 am    ::: Re: Women's 800m Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

That was a bizarre race; not that I followed the event that closely over the past few world-class meets, but I'd never seen anyone close out a race so strongly as Caster did, to come from dead last to second place. Amazing.

That's apparently her usual style, to start slow and finish fast.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: