RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno opens mouth, brain falls out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/09/12 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems to me that every time Geno says something, there has to be a group of people on standby to explain what he's "really trying to do" and what he "really means is". I've never thought that a good sign for a public figure lol.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/09/12 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Second, I'm really tired of the successful women not being feminists trope. Of course, a lot of that is because of the stereotype, but go ahead and ask the players about key feminist issues - equal opportunity, equal pay, etc. and I bet you that they'll be in agreement with feminist goals on the vast majority of them. (Abortion rights might be the one where there isn't near unanimity, but then again I don't know.) Whatever label you want to give yourself, if you agree with the basic feminist positions, you're a feminist.

well said.

PostPosted: 08/09/12 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
(What is with people and bra burning, anyway? I think it happened about twice.)

It made the evening news and every newspaper every time it happened, so people have a distorted view of it.

PostPosted: 08/10/12 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Second, I'm really tired of the successful women not being feminists trope. Of course, a lot of that is because of the stereotype, but go ahead and ask the players about key feminist issues - equal opportunity, equal pay, etc. and I bet you that they'll be in agreement with feminist goals on the vast majority of them. (Abortion rights might be the one where there isn't near unanimity, but then again I don't know.) Whatever label you want to give yourself, if you agree with the basic feminist positions, you're a feminist.

While I actually agree with this, and appreciate your expressing the sentiment much more clearly than I was able to, maybe the players aren't feminists in a basketball context. In other words, I don't hear them necessarily advocating equal pay for equal work. If anything, the top women players seem to work harder than some of the male players for less money. But while admitting better pay would be nice, there's a reality to the economics of the sport, and advocating equal pay would kill women's basketball (as it's nearly killed multiple NBA teams). And there's no way for there to be equal opportunity either. I'm just saying. In a somewhat altered context. Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: