RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Turkey vs Russia - 8/07/12
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Russia
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Turkey
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 11

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/07/12 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YES!!!!

Not a fan of Russia---just want to see Becky Hammon get a shot at another medal. Smile

Mathies to LA 2013
Nambulist

PostPosted: 08/09/12 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
And, the Ice Queens pull it off. Crap, crap, crap. Seriously, Hammon and Belyakova were the only ones on the team wearing genuine smiles after that win. I really would have preferred Turkey but oh well.

Great game and tournament, Turkey! I'm sure we'll see you in Rio!

Yes, the meteoric rise up the FIBA rankings of Yildizoglou's Turkish women culminating in this outstanding first up Olympic tournament performance, is one of the success stories of the Games, I think. Fortunately, as they're hosting the World's, in 2 years we won't have to wait until Rio to see how much further they have progressed.

It would be interesting to get some views on where people think Turkey stands now, and more importantly, what people see as being the key to even further progress for them toward FIBA top 5.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/09/12 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nambulist wrote:
wadethered wrote:
And, the Ice Queens pull it off. Crap, crap, crap. Seriously, Hammon and Belyakova were the only ones on the team wearing genuine smiles after that win. I really would have preferred Turkey but oh well.

Yes, the meteoric rise up the FIBA rankings of Yildizoglou's Turkish women culminating in this outstanding first up Olympic tournament performance, is one of the success stories of the Games, I think. Fortunately, as they're hosting the World's, in 2 years we won't have to wait until Rio to see how much further they have progressed.

It would be interesting to get some views on where people think Turkey stands now, and more importantly, what people see as being the key to even further progress for them toward FIBA top 5.

They will have to find an up and coming 'star' post because Yilmaz is 32 and she isnt getting any younger. And its not like Hollingsworth has played all that great for them. Bahar Caglar is still young and improving but she is more of a role player.

Esmeral Tuncluer has been playing well for them in the Olympics but is also 32 and she pretty much sucked the past season for Fenerbahce. Vardarli is 28 so luckily they will probably have their leader in Rio in 2016.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/09/12 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nambulist wrote:
wadethered wrote:

They're one of the better national teams in Europe at this point, which makes them one of the better non-USA national teams in the world.

With homecourt advantage - and Turkish crowds are nuts - I'd think they're one of the favourites to get stuffed by the US in the gold medal game in two years. Yilmaz will be 34 by then though, and they better hope she doesn't drop off too much (unless there's some stud young Turkish post coming through I haven't seen, or Caglar/Canitez really develop).

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: