RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennis
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 08/04/12 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Bryan brothers won the gold in men's doubles. The Williams sisters advanced to the women's doubles gold medal match to be played tomorrow. And Andy Murray will also be playing in the mixed doubles gold medal match after the men's singles gold medal match tomorrow.

TENNIS SCHEDULE TOMORROW
7:00am EST - WOMEN'S DOUBLE GOLD MEDAL MATCH
S. Williams/V. Williams(USA) vs. A. Hlavackova/L. Hradecka(CZE)

9:00am EST - MEN'S SINGLES GOLD MEDAL MATCH
A. Murray(GBR) vs. R. Federer(SUI)

11:00am EST - MIXED DOUBLES GOLD MEDAL MATCH
L. Robson/A. Murray(GBR) vs. V. Azarenka/M. Mirnyi(BLR)

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 08/04/12 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
watch for the articles that come out stating how she showed a lack of class and was too ghetto....

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/tennis/story/serena-williams-taints-golden-slam-with-crip-walk-dance-080412

Quote:
She knew that even associating the word “Crip” with a gold-medal performance could be toxic to her image, even if the dance itself is now distanced from those gang roots. A reporter asked what the dance was called. “The Serena?” the reporter suggested. “The Wimbledon?”

Serena just stared at the ground, embarrassed.

“Actually, there is a name. But I don’t know if I — it’s inappropriate,” she dodged. “It’s just a dance we do in California.”

PostPosted: 08/04/12 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The Bryan brothers won the gold in men's doubles. The Williams sisters advanced to the women's doubles gold medal match to be played tomorrow. And Andy Murray will also be playing in the mixed doubles gold medal match after the men's singles gold medal match tomorrow.

TENNIS SCHEDULE TOMORROW

What an unbelievably stupid piece of scheduling, by the way. Start with the men's final, let Murray rest during the women's doubles, then play the mixed. Shouldn't that be blindingly obvious?

PostPosted: 08/04/12 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jaye wrote:
watch for the articles that come out stating how she showed a lack of class and was too ghetto....

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/tennis/story/serena-williams-taints-golden-slam-with-crip-walk-dance-080412

Quote:
She knew that even associating the word “Crip” with a gold-medal performance could be toxic to her image, even if the dance itself is now distanced from those gang roots. A reporter asked what the dance was called. “The Serena?” the reporter suggested. “The Wimbledon?”

“Actually, there is a name. But I don’t know if I — it’s inappropriate,” she dodged. “It’s just a dance we do in California.”

The dance is so far removed from its original contexts that Justin Beiber was doing it last year in concert.

PostPosted: 08/04/12 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams' victories are plentiful: she has now won 34 of her last 35 matches; she has now won her last 13 matches against Top 5 players, 12 of those wins coming in straight sets.

bridgehere

PostPosted: 08/05/12 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:

I thought it looked like fun and she was having fun. I hope that doesn't happen.

bridgehere

PostPosted: 08/05/12 1:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
pilight wrote:
jaye wrote:

Quote:

The dance is so far removed from its original contexts that Justin Beiber was doing it last year in concert.

Seriously????? She looked cute, happy and was fun to watch. SMH @ the article. I believe Serena has acted inappropriately at times, (haven't we all, just no news station cared) but this was not one of those times. Matter of fact, I want to learn those moves.

jap

PostPosted: 08/05/12 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Serena Williams ‏@serenawilliams
Gold Medal!!! I can't believe it. I got the singles gold!!!!!! I'm gonna sleep in it tonight!

PostPosted: 08/05/12 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Venus & Serena working on Olympic doubles gold.

PostPosted: 08/05/12 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spoiler Alert!!!

Congrats to Venus and Serena Williams 2012 Olympic Doubles Champions. They won their 3rd doubles title and they each become the most decorated Olympic tennis players with 4 total gold medals.

jap

PostPosted: 08/05/12 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

***SPOILER***

Venus & Serena wins their 3rd Olympics Doubles Gold Medals.

#NATC

PostPosted: 08/05/12 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Andy! Smile

I did not expect this.

PostPosted: 08/05/12 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Congrats to Andy! Smile

I did not expect this.

I'm not shocked. The Olympics are often a place where players break through like that, especially playing in their home country. I remember Lindsay Davenport surprising everyone with a singles Gold Medal in Atlanta. She had never been in a major semi-final, let alone winning one, but she fed off the boisterous US crowd to take down heavily favored Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in the final.

#NATC

PostPosted: 08/05/12 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't say I'm exactly shocked either, partly because Fed is not the force he once was, and of course the whole tide is with the Brits lately, but it's still a pretty big mental hurdle he just cleared.

PostPosted: 08/05/12 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

TENNIS SCHEDULE TOMORROW

What an unbelievably stupid piece of scheduling, by the way. Start with the men's final, let Murray rest during the women's doubles, then play the mixed. Shouldn't that be blindingly obvious?

Good way to celebrate a gold: Play more tennis! Lisa Raymond has back-to-back bronze-medal matches today, as well...

jap

PostPosted: 08/05/12 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Congrats to Andy! Smile

I did not expect this.

I'm not shocked. The Olympics are often a place where players break through like that, especially playing in their home country. I remember Lindsay Davenport surprising everyone with a singles Gold Medal in Atlanta. She had never been in a major semi-final, let alone winning one, but she fed off the boisterous US crowd to take down heavily favored Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in the final.

There's also the fact that there was only 24 hours rest for the gold medal game as opposed to 48 hours for a grand slam championship . . . and Roger is quite a bit older than Andy---almost 31 vs 25. Older players usually need more time to recuperate.

PostPosted: 08/05/12 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations! It's been a big weekend for the Brits.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/05/12 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great job, Andy

Mathies to LA 2013
terpsforever

PostPosted: 08/05/12 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy for Andy Murray.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/07/12 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:

How to Crip Walk

http://deadspin.com/5932223/how-to-crip-walk-a-guide-to-serena-williamss-very-american-gold-medal-celebration

Quote:
Tennis and its commentators aren't really concerned about Williams desecrating Wimbledon's center court (a "sports church" with "tradition and atmosphere," according to Whitlock) or about Serena setting a bad example for her fans; they're concerned about getting a little Compton in their Wimbledon. That's funny. You'd think that a gang of carefully selected, racially homogenous people practicing their own strange folkways and enforcing their own strict dress code would have at least a few things in common with the Crips.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: