RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NBC Is A Waste Of F***king Space With Their Coverage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 08/03/12 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
The only mention of Kerri needing the 2nd vault is in the audio from that night, the vaults of Dominique Moceanu and Kerri Strug are show full with audio, the person narrating doesn't say anything about her needing the vault and even Bob Costas mentions that she didn't need the 2nd vault, but at the time the team didn't know because Russia hadn't completed their floor rotation yet.

I heard the narrator state that Kerri Shrug's vault clinched the Olympic Gold.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/03/12 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
The only mention of Kerri needing the 2nd vault is in the audio from that night, the vaults of Dominique Moceanu and Kerri Strug are show full with audio, the person narrating doesn't say anything about her needing the vault and even Bob Costas mentions that she didn't need the 2nd vault, but at the time the team didn't know because Russia hadn't completed their floor rotation yet.

I heard the narrator state that Kerri Shrug's vault clinched the Olympic Gold.

Her first vault did clinch it, I don't recall hearing her say that, but saying her vault clinched the gold isn't a lie, it's the 2nd vault specifically that the misconception is about.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/04/12 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
In the commercial break before they showed the tape-delayed Missy Franklin race, the Today Show promo came on to spoil that she had won and would be on the show the next day! So not only do we have to skip twitter and the Web but also blot out all sound completely!

Ugh that was annoying, at least I expect the games in Rio will be live ( except for the folk on the west coast)

I don't. They weren't usually live from Vancouver.

They were but werent...they were on 10-20 minute delay to fit everything in...which is fine unless you're on twitter...geez AP you can't wait 10 minutes (And they were militant about it)

PostPosted: 08/05/12 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i just turned on the tv, it's the women marathon. the friggin announcer said "LIVE".

fucking nbc, stop that bullshit crap lies. it's not live, london is 11:00pm, it's daylight there at the race. unless you stupid nbc people are in anpther planet.

LIVE my ass.

PostPosted: 08/05/12 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
i just turned on the tv, it's the women marathon. the friggin announcer said "LIVE".

fucking nbc, stop that bullshit crap lies. it's not live, london is 11:00pm, it's daylight there at the race. unless you stupid nbc people are in anpther planet.

LIVE my ass.

Laughing X___________

PostPosted: 08/05/12 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do want to give them kudos for showing the women's basketball in its entirety. I certainly enjoyed watching it.

PostPosted: 08/06/12 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't believe that NBC spent the first 30 minutes of its primetime coverage last night (Sunday) showing a Bob Costas interview of Michael Phleps. 30 minutes!! It was boring beyond belief -- hey Bob, we all just saw those races, we don't need clips. Not to mention that we've heard Phelps say most of the things he said before. 30 minutes!!

Then later on, a Mary Carillo piece on Ian Fleming and James Bond. No connection whatsoever to the Olympics (and I don't mean the Opening Ceremony).

Then they say they are going to show us, for example, a women's beach volleyball match in prime time (taped) when they could show it live on a weekend afternoon, and what they wind up showing is an edited match! The score is 9-6 and they cut to a commercial and when you come back, it's 17-12 or something. Blech.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/06/12 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
I can't believe that NBC spent the first 30 minutes of its primetime coverage last night (Sunday) showing a Bob Costas interview of Michael Phleps. 30 minutes!! It was boring beyond belief -- hey Bob, we all just saw those races, we don't need clips. Not to mention that we've heard Phelps say most of the things he said before. 30 minutes!!

I thought it was great. It was the most relaxed, comfortable I've ever seen Phelps.

I too was dreading it, and asked my wife if she minded changing the channel.

I was glad I didn't.

I definitely thought it was better than more diving competitions or the like.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/14/12 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just spent a week in London watching the BBC coverage and have to admit that NBC did have some real advantages:

BBC had 24 private channels to cover all the action. NBC countered with having all the action available on computer plus some channels. Not sure if the channels the BBC had showed EVERYTHING though. I didn't seem to have the streaming issues other folks did either.

BBC showed a lot of live stuff. NBC hoarded the best stuff to show at 8-12 PM local time regardless of timezone. I was waking up in England and seeing live tweets from West Coasters just now watching last night's activities. Staying up until midnight every night was unnecessary and annoying.

BBC didn't keep going to commercial mid-action and cutting out parts of the action like NBC did. Given that it was a lot of tape delay anyway it just made no sense.

But the way NBC really shined over the BBC was that the BBC announcers were complete homers and often actively cheering for the GB players. For everything they got right in the Opening Ceremony about knowing when to shut up when NBC talent didn't, they really got on my nerves in their sports descriptions. If anyone's ever watched the Chicago White Sox and Hawk Harrelson, this was even worse. I wanted to hear analysis about the race/competition, not just cheering and groaning as if they were spectators.

If NBC would have had their prime-time show at 7-11, I still would have watched even if I'd seen it before. As it was, I often recorded the stuff form 10-12 and watched it the next morning skipping past all those expensive commercials.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/14/12 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nbcfail-became-most-watched-tv-181950369.html

Quote:
NBCUniversal and its networks -- NBC, NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo, and Telemundo -- set the record for most-watched television event in US history. NBC itself notched a higher average prime-time audience than the Summer Games in either Beijing or Athens.

PostPosted: 08/14/12 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
NBCUniversal and its networks -- NBC, NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo, and Telemundo -- set the record for most-watched television event in US history. NBC itself notched a higher average prime-time audience than the Summer Games in either Beijing or Athens.

Doesn't mean they did a good job... Rolling Eyes

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/14/12 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Sure it does. Their job is to bring in viewers for their advertisers. They did a very good job.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/14/12 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Sure it does. Their job is to bring in viewers for their advertisers. They did a very good job.

I suppose it depends. As I've stated, I recorded the later portion and watched it later while skipping past commercials. I cannot tell you who advertised what because I never saw them. If that's what the advertisers want to pay for, then fine. But I know I was not the only one to do this.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/14/12 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I suppose it depends. As I've stated, I recorded the later portion and watched it later while skipping past commercials. I cannot tell you who advertised what because I never saw them. If that's what the advertisers want to pay for, then fine. But I know I was not the only one to do this.

compared to the 2008 Beijing games, we were able to see most of these events live, during the morning & afternoon. The 2008 games' live events happened at night & during the morning.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
RavenDog

PostPosted: 08/14/12 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Disagree, I believe they had a monopoly on the telecasts, so if you wanted to watch the games... Don't think the sponsors drew the crowd so... Super Bowl's the same thing, it wouldn't matter what Network hosted the game or how good/poor the telecast. The event drew the watchers, not NBCUniversal or the quality of the telecasts...

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/18/12 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

NBCUniversal doesn't care about the kind of "job" they did. They care about the bottom line, which is ratings and ad sales.

For better or worse, I expect NBCUniversal to carry the Olympics for a while longer.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/18/12 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

NBCUniversal doesn't care about the kind of "job" they did. They care about the bottom line, which is ratings and ad sales.

That is, in fact, what their job is.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/07/16 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Katinka Hosszú won her Gold Medal with a record breaking performance in the 400m individual medley last night the announcers gave all the credit to her husband, saying he was "responsible" for her performance.

PostPosted: 08/07/16 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps not many people are watching the live streams. But I am and there have been a number of glitches. Audio yesterday in general. Video today for boxing. Replay streams labeled one thing but showing another. Get it together NBC. It's the freaking Olympics. I know it's a challenge with all the live streams. But there should not be this many glitches.

PostPosted: 08/07/16 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
When Katinka Hosszú won her Gold Medal with a record breaking performance in the 400m individual medley last night the announcers gave all the credit to her husband, saying he was "responsible" for her performance.

Actually, they provided quite a bit of explanation and context for that. He also became her coach, and they talked about how separate the two relationships are for them, and as her coach how he completely revamped her training approach resulting in dramatic improvements in her performance. Indeed they suggested that as her husband is is supposed to be an incredibly nice guy, but as her coach is a total asshole. And they may have understated that.

So I'm not sure the suggestion that some of her dramatic improvement is due to him, not as her husband, but as her new coach, isn't warranted.

And what would you prefer? Giving credit for her dramatic change to a new coach and training style, or blaming PEDs as others have suggested for her? See, e.g., https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/are-katinka-hosszus-performances-being-aided/ or https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/katinka-hosszu-swimmings-iron-lady-is-raising-all-kinds-of-eyebrows/2016/08/07/3221c0be-5ccf-11e6-9d2f-b1a3564181a1_story.html

Her performance improvements are outside the norm. And the story may be new to most viewers, but it certainly isn't new to the swimming world. As Deadspin wrote about the NBC comments:

"But what might have sounded like a random sexist diminishment of a woman swimmer’s success was, in fact, a much-discussed story in the swimming world. How does that story go, exactly? The CliffsNotes version reads like this: Hosszú, a medal contender four years ago, flamed out at the London Olympics. Afterwards she asked her then-boyfriend Tusup—whom she met at USC, where they were both swimmers—to become her coach. As coach, he had her begin serious weight training and pursue a strategy of training in the pool less and competing more. Combined, this worked for Hosszú on the World Cup and Grand Prix series of events, and is now paying dividends in Rio.

But much of the concern in the swimming community has focused less on Tusup’s results than on his methods; some swimmers walk right up to the line of accusing Tusup of abusing Hosszú. "

http://deadspin.com/what-is-everyone-trying-to-tell-us-about-katinka-hosszu-1784940056

And lingering in the background is still the notion of steroids. As Deadspin commented:

"There is a final cryptic wrinkle here, which is that the Times story can also be read as a coded steroids story posing as a coded abuse story."

So the announcers got a lot of flack from people who quite simply had simplistic knee jerk reactions without knowing the story behind the comments.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/07/16 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

don't complain about the coverage this year. Rio's about as close as we'll get to seeing live coverage during our primetime. The next three Olympics are in Asia(2018 - South Korea; 2020 - Tokyo, Japan; 2022 - Beijing, China). So we'll be seeing a lot of tape delays during those three Olympics. With that being said, I'm really pulling for Los Angeles to host the 2024 games.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 08/07/16 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What would I prefer? I'd prefer they give the athlete most of the credit for her performance.

PostPosted: 08/08/16 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
What would I prefer? I'd prefer they give the athlete most of the credit for her performance.

I'll look forward to reading your complaint the next time anyone gives any credit to Béla Károlyi for the success of his gymnasts, or Geno for UConn's WBB success.

It's the same thing.

Nobody thinks Hosszú would have accomplished all of this entirely on her own.

And in this case hubby's techniques and their relationship are controversial and newsworthy.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/08/16 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I'll look forward to reading your complaint the next time anyone gives any credit to Béla Károlyi for the success of his gymnasts, or Geno for UConn's WBB success.

It's the same thing.

Nobody thinks Hosszú would have accomplished all of this entirely on her own.

And in this case hubby's techniques and their relationship are controversial and newsworthy.

Yeah, that's the same. Tusup has coached so many champions it's hard to keep them straight. Rolling Eyes And even in those cases, the athletes deserve most of the credit, as I said before.

PostPosted: 08/11/16 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those of you who think coverage from other countries is automatically better...

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/cbc-calls-entire-race-confusing-ryan-lochte-for-michael-1785184150

Quote:
CBC Calls Entire Race Confusing Ryan Lochte For Michael Phelps

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: