RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NBC Is A Waste Of F***king Space With Their Coverage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaase22

PostPosted: 07/30/12 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
In the commercial break before they showed the tape-delayed Missy Franklin race, the Today Show promo came on to spoil that she had won and would be on the show the next day! So not only do we have to skip twitter and the Web but also blot out all sound completely!

Ugh that was annoying, at least I expect the games in Rio will be live ( except for the folk on the west coast)

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 07/30/12 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
In the commercial break before they showed the tape-delayed Missy Franklin race, the Today Show promo came on to spoil that she had won and would be on the show the next day! So not only do we have to skip twitter and the Web but also blot out all sound completely!

Yup, we were hit with that spoiler too. Bunch of idiots at NBC. . .

Nerd2

PostPosted: 07/30/12 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

Ugh that was annoying, at least I expect the games in Rio will be live ( except for the folk on the west coast)

I don't. They weren't usually live from Vancouver.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/30/12 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NBC has no clue what they're doing this year. With all the news outlets(on TV & online), plus social media announcing who's won & lost as it happens, NBC simply can not do tape delayed broadcasting anymore. The men's gymnastics final, all swimming, volleyball, and whatever else they stock up on for their primetime coverage also needs to be shown live during the day and simply rebroadcast it from 8pm-11pm. And it doesn't help that their Olympic's website updates us on everything as it happens, even if NBC is holding off on showing it during "primetime". We should see everything live during the 2016 games in Rio, but the 2014 winter games are in Russia, the 2018winter games in South Korea and based on the finalists for 2020summer games(Madrid, Spain; Istanbul, Turkey; & Tokyo, Japan), we're getting screwed.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
GEF34

PostPosted: 07/30/12 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a question for people who are saying they should show events live, they do show some events live, but if they did show swimming/gymnastics/track and field the bigger sports live, how many people would be watching at 4am or whatever time, and if they switched and showed the big sports live and waited for the the smaller sports live wouldn't people who are watching the prime time events complain they aren't showing any big sports, or the big sports are being showed at times they can't watch for various reason.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/30/12 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a lot of people would still tune in during primetime. but the biggest complaint is that NBC is withholding airing certain events live and saving them for primetime. there isn't really an option to see these events live, yet everyone is announcing the winners anyways before NBC airs their tape-delayed broadcast.

another complaint is the "whip-around" coverage they're doing during the day. NBC will change what they're airing to show something else and yet they seem to forget to return to their previous event to show the end result. Only the tennis coverage on BRAVO has been consistent.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/30/12 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think a lot of people would still tune in during primetime. but the biggest complaint is that NBC is withholding airing certain events live and saving them for primetime. there isn't really an option to see these events live, yet everyone is announcing the winners anyways before NBC airs their tape-delayed broadcast.

another complaint is the "whip-around" coverage they're doing during the day. NBC will change what they're airing to show something else and yet they seem to forget to return to their previous event to show the end result. Only the tennis coverage on BRAVO has been consistent.

They aren't airing certain events live, but they are airing other events, during the men's gymnastics team finals I believe they were showing volleyball, equestrian, fencing, judo, boxing, tennis rowing, canoeing, etc all live. But if it was switched, they showed gymnastics live and on the prime time coverage were delayed equestrian, judo, boxing, tennis, etc. wouldn't people be complaining they aren't showing gymnastics, swimming, track and field, etc. Or would people be perfectly content missing the live coverage and having to watch the smaller sports. I think a lot of people would still be complaining perhaps different people, but still a lot of people.

As for your 2nd complaint, I haven't really noticed that issue, when I watch the one the says swimming it's swimming, or volleyball it's volleyball, etc. I noticed they would go to another event when there was a break in the action, example half time of basketball, but they would go back when it started again.

Martini Man

PostPosted: 07/31/12 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Move to Canada. There you can get all the sports with non-stop coverage and all the athletes regardless of country.

Exactly. We get all the NBC coverage here, plus a few other networks that are covering the Olympics extensively. And all of the other networks are showing different events from each other. I'm getting an Olympic overload here. My DVR is running amok.

PostPosted: 07/31/12 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Move to Canada. There you can get all the sports with non-stop coverage and all the athletes regardless of country.

Over the air for free, or on paid cable/satellite tv?
Down here we have 8 channels televising all kinds of stuff, but it's on cable. If you want to watch on free to air then you are part of the lowest common denominator and so the coverage is focussed on either the aussies or the glamour events. As one would expect.

We'll have to ask Martini Man. I haven't been there for a number of years myself, but Hubby lived there quite a long time and he remembers it as being multiple 'free' channels with just about any sport you wanted to watch. It could have changed of course.

I have three separate channels that are non-paying channels showing extensive coverage of every country. One channel is obviously focusing on Canadians only, but the other two are focusing on everything, and then on our digital cable package, which is the cheapest package there are a few more channels covering the entire spectrum of countries/events/athletes.

I haven't watched much of anything on NBC. It's garbage.

PostPosted: 07/31/12 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

X_________________

Plus I want to see ALL Americans receive their medals not just the ones who win Gold. Evil or Very Mad
Barrister15

PostPosted: 07/31/12 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there's just too much going on for NBC to cover everything on TV. My only complaint is the difficulty in finding what I want to watch -- the listings tend to give a whole laundry list of stuff that's going to be covered on a given station, and there's some overlap between channels. I watched archery and the French v. Colombia women's soccer game before I realized the US women's game was on a channel buried way down on my channel guide.

The whole "save the good stuff for prime time" thing is good for people who (a) don't want to clog up their Tivo or DVR with hours of Olympics coverage and (b) work all day. I just happen to be home, recuperating from major surgery, so not only am I stuck in the house, I'm not exactly mobile enough to get away from the television. Couldn't have timed this better -- I was getting tired of watching regular daytime programming! Laughing

I have noticed most news stations are giving spoiler alerts, telling folks to either mute their tvs or look away from the screen

sbjules

PostPosted: 07/31/12 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

I would not make a bet on that!

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 07/31/12 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/viewers-guide/index.html

caune

PostPosted: 08/01/12 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Martini Man wrote:
My DVR is running amok.

ding, ding, ding We have a winner.
Could you call NBC and explain about this new fangled DVR thing because apparently they think we are all primitive here on the West coast.
Not only do they delay coverage for prime time but they FURTHER delay our coverage for 3 f'in hours. It's a pisser that IF I can avoid scores I have to wait til 7 pm to even start watching....and oh they drag this shit on 11 pm LOL

And the reverse to their craziness. I knew how the men's gymnastics turned out, because hell, you just can't avoid all the tons of outlets that give scores, so I skipped that evenings prime time coverage preferring Home Hunters to a major team melt down LOL

PostPosted: 08/01/12 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
My DVR is running amok.

ding, ding, ding We have a winner.
Could you call NBC and explain about this new fangled DVR thing because apparently they think we are all primitive here on the West coast.
Not only do they delay coverage for prime time but they FURTHER delay our coverage for 3 f'in hours. It's a pisser that IF I can avoid scores I have to wait til 7 pm to even start watching....and oh they drag this shit on 11 pm LOL

And the reverse to their craziness. I knew how the men's gymnastics turned out, because hell, you just can't avoid all the tons of outlets that give scores, so I skipped that evenings prime time coverage preferring Home Hunters to a major team melt down LOL

Part of the fun of living on the West Coast is that things start and end earlier so that I can get to sleep at a decent hour. It really really annoys me that the things I want to see are showing after 11PM. In fact, on most nights I don't watch at all - I record and watch other stuff which means I skip right past the commercials. How much of the "ratings" are now of programs beign DVR-ed, which means the advertisers can get ignored?

I did see one commercial that completely amused me: Liberty Mutual had a series of accidents to show how life happens and they cover it. Things like a guy driving into his garage with his bikes still on his bike rack or a lady closing the glass door just before someone else runs into it. But it was all so subtle that it made me laugh with an "I could see myself doing that" attitude.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/02/12 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Despite complaints, NBC's ratings soar
Quote:
Perhaps more so than ever, non-traditional sports viewers such as women and children, and various digital platforms including Twitter, are driving NBC to huge ratings for its primetime coverage of the Olympics. Through Tuesday, the network averaged 35.6 million viewers through the first five nights.

That's 10 percent ahead of Beijing in 2008, which had live coverage in primetime. With everything on tape delay, NBC executives thought the ratings would be down by as much as 20 percent for London.

NBC Olympics: Hashtag $$$
Quote:
"There will always be individuals who complain about everything, and now, with social media, they have a megaphone to broadcast their opinions over the Internet," said Joe Tripodi, chief marketing and commercial officer at Coca-Cola. "I much prefer the NBC broadcast to theirs," he said, adding that the ratings have been "stellar." Coke is one of the biggest advertisers this year and an Olympic sponsor since 1928.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/02/12 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the men's gymnastics coverage last night was particularly sucky. Based on what they gave, it was hard to have any idea about what was going on, and other than showing the Japanese winner and the American 3rd place finisher, we saw almost no other routines. Thumbs down for that coverage.

caune

PostPosted: 08/03/12 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed anything "political" in NBCs coverage?
I have not but I know someone who believes they have....but they won't give me an example, just tells me I haven't been listening or I don't understand politics LOL
so anyone seen the Liberal Obama slant to NBC coverage?

PostPosted: 08/03/12 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
I have not but I know someone who believes they have....but they won't give me an example, just tells me I haven't been listening or I don't understand politics LOL
Please, take this to Area 51.

caune

PostPosted: 08/03/12 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
caune wrote:
Please, take this to Area 51.

why? It's about the Olympics coverage. Just because I put the Presidents name in it, it still concerns NBC's coverage.

PostPosted: 08/03/12 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How come Dominique Dawes, Jaycie Phelps and Amy Chow weren't featured in that NBC mini special about the Magnificent 7? They were also selling the bullshit that the Magnificent Seven clinched the gold, because of Strug's vault. They had already clinched the gold before that vault.

Keep up the great work NBC.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 08/03/12 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want to see 10 years of tax returns esp Mittens horse!

blaase22

PostPosted: 08/03/12 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
How come Dominique Dawes, Jaycie Phelps and Amy Chow weren't featured in that NBC mini special about the Magnificent 7? They were also selling the bullshit that the Magnificent Seven clinched the gold, because of Strug's vault. They had already clinched the gold before that vault.

Im sorry gymnastics fans but showing a whole halfnhour of this instead of more of the volleyball match was such BS. Rolling Eyes

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/03/12 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

The only mention of Kerri needing the 2nd vault is in the audio from that night, the vaults of Dominique Moceanu and Kerri Strug are show full with audio, the person narrating doesn't say anything about her needing the vault and even Bob Costas mentions that she didn't need the 2nd vault, but at the time the team didn't know because Russia hadn't completed their floor rotation yet.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/03/12 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

Im sorry gymnastics fans but showing a whole halfnhour of this instead of more of the volleyball match was such BS. Rolling Eyes

I was really looking foward to this, especially since NBC has been hyping it all week. what a disappointment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: