RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NBC Is A Waste Of F***king Space With Their Coverage
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/29/12 6:44 pm    ::: NBC Is A Waste Of F***king Space With Their Coverage Reply Reply with quote

If you would like to learn about the athletes outside of the USA, good luck getting it from NBC. They only see RED, WHITE & BLUE!!!! They take out their POM POMS and will spotlight an american bronze medalist over a non-american gold medalist.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 07/29/12 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People are still watching...must be frustrating as hell to not only try to remain unspoiled as well as trying to find out what's happening in sports where Americans are not involved.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Ratings-Olympics-Opening-Night-1050724.aspx

PostPosted: 07/29/12 7:57 pm    ::: Re: NBC IS A WASTE OF F***KING SPACE WITH THEIR COVERAGE Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
If you would like to learn about the athletes outside of the USA, good luck getting it from NBC. They only see RED, WHITE & BLUE!!!! They take out their POM POMS and will spotlight an american bronze medalist over a non-american gold medalist.

I'd be kinda Ok with the "Yeah USA" thing if they were showing us new or unknown Americans but seriously, if I see one more interview with Phelps. or the "Fab Five", I'm gonna scream. They really aren't remotely interesting anymore except for their sports talent.

PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so, okay, then! i'm not alone. except i'd choose overdosing on americans over chinese. (though i'll take the chinese commentary over ryan seacrest.)

PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Move to Canada. There you can get all the sports with non-stop coverage and all the athletes regardless of country.

Tally24

PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm so sick of Phelps and he hasn't even won yet.............

Are his ears bigger than his ego?
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Move to Canada. There you can get all the sports with non-stop coverage and all the athletes regardless of country.

Over the air for free, or on paid cable/satellite tv?
Down here we have 8 channels televising all kinds of stuff, but it's on cable. If you want to watch on free to air then you are part of the lowest common denominator and so the coverage is focussed on either the aussies or the glamour events. As one would expect.

PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Down here we have 8 channels televising all kinds of stuff, but it's on cable. If you want to watch on free to air then you are part of the lowest common denominator and so the coverage is focussed on either the aussies or the glamour events. As one would expect.

We'll have to ask Martini Man. I haven't been there for a number of years myself, but Hubby lived there quite a long time and he remembers it as being multiple 'free' channels with just about any sport you wanted to watch. It could have changed of course.

coffy73

PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I rarely watch the nbc primetime coverage, too many stories, too much lochte/phelps. However, I am enjoying their ipad app 'Olympic live extra', so I've been able to see loads of live sports and loved the weightlifting earlier today! They also have tons of replays.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 07/29/12 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:

We'll have to ask Martini Man. I haven't been there for a number of years myself, but Hubby lived there quite a long time and he remembers it as being multiple 'free' channels with just about any sport you wanted to watch. It could have changed of course.

here in washington state we used to get the canadian coverage on cable, but evidently cbut lost the olympic contract. too bad cuz that was the best coverage; lots of events the american network didn't show and not a talk-a-thon. Sad i was hoping we'd see some coverage on bbcam, but no such luck. Sad

at least we're not seeing all the political ads that sorf referred to. whew.

PostPosted: 07/30/12 12:54 am    ::: Re: NBC Is A Waste Of F***king Space With Their Coverage Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

I take it you didn't see the broadcast of the Italy vs Russia Women's Beach Volleyball match last night... Razz Cool

wadethered

PostPosted: 07/30/12 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

The problem is not his ego, it's America's unreasonable expectations of him. Phelps has admitted that he is NOT the best swimmer in the world anymore, and that he's basically in London to have a good time, not to win. Don't give him credit for his perceived disappointment, give it to the US media.

Tally24

PostPosted: 07/30/12 2:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

The problem is not his ego, it's America's unreasonable expectations of him. Phelps has admitted that he is NOT the best swimmer in the world anymore, and that he's basically in London to have a good time, not to win. Don't give him credit for his perceived disappointment, give it to the US media.

I think it's gone to his head. I do agree with you though these people expect him to be Superman, and these are unrealalistic expectations. But I think Ryan Lochte got a taste of how quickly the U.S in general (press, citizens, whatever) can turn on you, one night he's a hero, the next he "cost the U.S the gold".
ripleydc

PostPosted: 07/30/12 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coffy73 wrote:
I rarely watch the nbc primetime coverage, too many stories, too much lochte/phelps. However, I am enjoying their ipad app 'Olympic live extra', so I've been able to see loads of live sports and loved the weightlifting earlier today! They also have tons of replays.

best Olympics 'cause I can bypass the canned processed N"BS" stuff at will and watch live action!

Nerd2

PostPosted: 07/30/12 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
People are still watching...must be frustrating as hell to not only try to remain unspoiled as well as trying to find out what's happening in sports where Americans are not involved.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Ratings-Olympics-Opening-Night-1050724.aspx

I doubt they are keeping themselves unspoiled and are watching anyway.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/30/12 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

Serious question, I have followed him for almost 12 years now, I've read 3-4 books he wrote, and I never got the impression he had any ego at all let alone a big ego, what has he done to give you this perception of him

Edited to fix some spelling.

Edited to change to who to what.

Last edited by GEF34 on 07/30/12 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Barrister15

PostPosted: 07/30/12 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Serious question, I have followed him for almost 12 years now, I've read 3-4 books he wrote, and I never got the impression he had any ego at all let along a big ego, who has he done to give you this perception of him?

Phelps always struck me as being humble and in awe of what he's accomplished, and totally acknowledges the role that others (including his family) played in his success.

Lochte seems a litty douchey to me, though.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:

Phelps always struck me as being humble and in awe of what he's accomplished, and totally acknowledges the role that others (including his family) played in his success.

That's the impression I've had of him as well, he has always been grateful of his family, especially his mom and everything she has done for him, as well as his sisters, but also all of his coaches, mainly Bob Bowman, his many coach, but also all of his teammates, some teammates have even said he is one of the best teammates and most down to earth people they've ever met.

As far as Ryan Lochte goes, I've never gotten that impression, granted I haven't followed him as much or as long as I have followed Michael, but I've gotten the impression he is just motivated and confident in his abilities that he can be the best in the world.

sbjules

PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:10 pm    ::: Re: NBC IS A WASTE OF F***KING SPACE WITH THEIR COVERAGE Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

I'd be kinda Ok with the "Yeah USA" thing if they were showing us new or unknown Americans but seriously, if I see one more interview with Phelps. or the "Fab Five", I'm gonna scream. They really aren't remotely interesting anymore except for their sports talent.

Oh caune, last night they started talking about the heartbreak of somebody on the fab five & I about threw my shoe at the TV. I did stop myself. I like the basketball, vollyball, (all varieties) and I would like to see womens' water polo because a local is on the team.

Barrister15

PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
As far as Ryan Lochte goes, I've never gotten that impression, granted I haven't followed him as much or as long as I have followed Michael, but I've gotten the impression he is just motivated and confident in his abilities that he can be the best in the world.

That's the sense I got from an interview they did with him at his home -- maybe he just came off the wrong way. He was in his huge walk-in closet and was talking about the [god awfully tacky] sneakers he designed.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

That's the sense I got from an interview they did with him at his home -- maybe he just came off the wrong way. He was in his huge walk-in closet and was talking about the [god awfully tacky] sneakers he designed.

Laughing Laughing

Granted I wouldn't buy those shoes to wear, but I've always liked them, they seem to fit him perfectly, he is a fun guy with a big personality.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Granted I wouldn't buy those shoes to wear, but I've always liked them, they seem to fit him perfectly, he is a fun guy with a big personality.

Huh. You see fun guy with big personality. I saw giant douchebag.

I hope you are the one that is right.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Huh. You see fun guy with big personality. I saw giant douchebag.

I hope you are the one that is right.

Are you referring to the shoes or the person?

If you are referring to the person, yes I've followed him for 4-5 years and I've never gotten the impression you've had of him, he does have a big personality, but like I mentioned about Michael he is very grateful for everyone who has supported him, and he does have a big personality, he likes to be "loud" and just go out and have fun.

On a separate note he also dedicated his first gold medal to all of his fans who supported him over the years in his quest for Olympic gold.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
who has he done to give you this perception of him

Miley Cirus, maybe?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nerd2

PostPosted: 07/30/12 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the commercial break before they showed the tape-delayed Missy Franklin race, the Today Show promo came on to spoil that she had won and would be on the show the next day! So not only do we have to skip twitter and the Web but also blot out all sound completely!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: