RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ClayK weighs in on Piph and 113

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/03/06 9:52 am    ::: ClayK weighs in on Piph and 113 Reply Reply with quote

Great read. I don't want to start it up again, but I thought this was worth posting just for reading purposes. Talks about some of the things I tried to yesterday, only a lot more eloquently.

http://fullcourt.scout.com/2/496277.html

CKent

PostPosted: 02/03/06 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Couple of things, then I'll gladly drop it:

1. It'd be nice if the righteous indignation would simmer down in favor of discussion about solutions other than penalizing stars by making them sit. I don't like telling a great team to dial it down and I definitely don't like waving games off. The best suggestion I've heard so far was hooper1's idea for dominant teams to come up with special, blowout-specific offensive sets that keep everybody involved after a game's out of hand (including the stars), but playing 100% and not making the game a joke.

2. Not crazy about all the talk of how Coach Grezinsky is disgusting, greedy, and a bad sport, either. I wasn't at the game but I doubt that he was prowling the sidelines, seething with bloodlust, and snarling, "Kill! Kill!" If he's like the vast, vast majority of the WBB coaches I've come in contact with, he was just trying to do right by his kids. One kid who had a chance to do something special, in particular.

Now, to quote Holly Hunter in O Brother, Where Art Thou? : "Ah've sed mah piece."

KatValeska

PostPosted: 02/03/06 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't stand all the attempts to turn girls and women's bb into some kinda socially- engineered pc sporting event.

If you get whooped and some kid drops 113 points on you then you either deal with it or join a tiddly-winks team or something else you're good at.

For cryin' out loud folks, it's a game. And I feel if ya can whoop someone my 200 points, do it.

There, I've said my piece. Now y'all can go back to trying to make it all fair and even - good grief.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 02/03/06 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
I can't stand all the attempts to turn girls and women's bb into some kinda socially- engineered pc sporting event.

i don't really know that gender has anything to do with it. i think Clay's response is pretty far over the top, but he isn't arguing for a different standard between men and women.

this isn't really an issue of being "PC" or not. it's just that people have different conceptions of what sportsmanship entails.

MrsGoodbar

PostPosted: 02/03/06 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First time here on these boards.
I do want to say something about a young basketball player scoring 113 points in a game.
If we keep records ... then they are there to be broken.
However the High School Associations should and could change this kind of happening by implementing a mercy rule. Many states have a mercy rule for baseball and softball and I have never been sure why the don't include basketball in that. I don't know a number which would be approriate for High School but 35 seems to be a fair number. It certainly would stop the reaching for the record.
And alot of young players may not be put such humiliation.[/code][/b]

And
Free
PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/03/06 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
And alot of young players may not be put such humiliation.

That is the only thing that concerned me. A player not liking it happening against them and deciding to retaliate.

hooper1

PostPosted: 02/03/06 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, and the fact that no team or individual player gets better when one team blows out another just because they can. It doesn't further anyone's skills to give the ball to the strongest player and say "Score as many as you can."

It's like me playing against a 10 year old. Who cares if I can blow him away?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: