RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

NBC Is A Waste Of F***king Space With Their Coverage
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 8981



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 6:44 pm    ::: NBC Is A Waste Of F***king Space With Their Coverage Reply Reply with quote

If you would like to learn about the athletes outside of the USA, good luck getting it from NBC. They only see RED, WHITE & BLUE!!!! They take out their POM POMS and will spotlight an american bronze medalist over a non-american gold medalist.


BCBG25



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 20112
Location: Sampa


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People are still watching...must be frustrating as hell to not only try to remain unspoiled as well as trying to find out what's happening in sports where Americans are not involved.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Ratings-Olympics-Opening-Night-1050724.aspx



_________________
Kings of the World!
caune



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17919
Location: Valley of the Bun


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 7:57 pm    ::: Re: NBC IS A WASTE OF F***KING SPACE WITH THEIR COVERAGE Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
If you would like to learn about the athletes outside of the USA, good luck getting it from NBC. They only see RED, WHITE & BLUE!!!! They take out their POM POMS and will spotlight an american bronze medalist over a non-american gold medalist.


I'd be kinda Ok with the "Yeah USA" thing if they were showing us new or unknown Americans but seriously, if I see one more interview with Phelps. or the "Fab Five", I'm gonna scream. They really aren't remotely interesting anymore except for their sports talent.



_________________
Because there is only one Diana Taurasi.
@Phoenix Mercury
sambista



Joined: 25 Sep 2004
Posts: 16471
Location: cidade maravilhosa


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so, okay, then! i'm not alone. except i'd choose overdosing on americans over chinese. (though i'll take the chinese commentary over ryan seacrest.)



_________________
no justice, no peace.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23318



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Move to Canada. There you can get all the sports with non-stop coverage and all the athletes regardless of country.


Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2161
Location: Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm so sick of Phelps and he hasn't even won yet.............

Are his ears bigger than his ego?
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 18834



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Move to Canada. There you can get all the sports with non-stop coverage and all the athletes regardless of country.

Over the air for free, or on paid cable/satellite tv?
Down here we have 8 channels televising all kinds of stuff, but it's on cable. If you want to watch on free to air then you are part of the lowest common denominator and so the coverage is focussed on either the aussies or the glamour events. As one would expect.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23318



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Move to Canada. There you can get all the sports with non-stop coverage and all the athletes regardless of country.

Over the air for free, or on paid cable/satellite tv?
Down here we have 8 channels televising all kinds of stuff, but it's on cable. If you want to watch on free to air then you are part of the lowest common denominator and so the coverage is focussed on either the aussies or the glamour events. As one would expect.


We'll have to ask Martini Man. I haven't been there for a number of years myself, but Hubby lived there quite a long time and he remembers it as being multiple 'free' channels with just about any sport you wanted to watch. It could have changed of course.


coffy73



Joined: 24 Sep 2009
Posts: 2588



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I rarely watch the nbc primetime coverage, too many stories, too much lochte/phelps. However, I am enjoying their ipad app 'Olympic live extra', so I've been able to see loads of live sports and loved the weightlifting earlier today! They also have tons of replays.


scullyfu



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 8530
Location: Niagara Falls


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/29/12 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Move to Canada. There you can get all the sports with non-stop coverage and all the athletes regardless of country.

Over the air for free, or on paid cable/satellite tv?
Down here we have 8 channels televising all kinds of stuff, but it's on cable. If you want to watch on free to air then you are part of the lowest common denominator and so the coverage is focussed on either the aussies or the glamour events. As one would expect.


We'll have to ask Martini Man. I haven't been there for a number of years myself, but Hubby lived there quite a long time and he remembers it as being multiple 'free' channels with just about any sport you wanted to watch. It could have changed of course.


here in washington state we used to get the canadian coverage on cable, but evidently cbut lost the olympic contract. too bad cuz that was the best coverage; lots of events the american network didn't show and not a talk-a-thon. Sad i was hoping we'd see some coverage on bbcam, but no such luck. Sad

at least we're not seeing all the political ads that sorf referred to. whew.



_________________
i'll always bleed Storm green.
Admiral_Needa



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 9633
Location: Tiburon, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 12:54 am    ::: Re: NBC Is A Waste Of F***king Space With Their Coverage Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
If you would like to learn about the athletes outside of the USA, good luck getting it from NBC. They only see RED, WHITE & BLUE!!!! They take out their POM POMS and will spotlight an american bronze medalist over a non-american gold medalist.




I take it you didn't see the broadcast of the Italy vs Russia Women's Beach Volleyball match last night... Razz Cool



_________________
2002 WNBA Virtual GM Overall Winner
2006 WNBA Triple Threat Overall Winner
2007 NBA ESPN Fast Break Overall Winner
wadethered



Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 1371
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
I'm so sick of Phelps and he hasn't even won yet.............

Are his ears bigger than his ego?


The problem is not his ego, it's America's unreasonable expectations of him. Phelps has admitted that he is NOT the best swimmer in the world anymore, and that he's basically in London to have a good time, not to win. Don't give him credit for his perceived disappointment, give it to the US media.


Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2161
Location: Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 2:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
I'm so sick of Phelps and he hasn't even won yet.............

Are his ears bigger than his ego?


The problem is not his ego, it's America's unreasonable expectations of him. Phelps has admitted that he is NOT the best swimmer in the world anymore, and that he's basically in London to have a good time, not to win. Don't give him credit for his perceived disappointment, give it to the US media.


I think it's gone to his head. I do agree with you though these people expect him to be Superman, and these are unrealalistic expectations. But I think Ryan Lochte got a taste of how quickly the U.S in general (press, citizens, whatever) can turn on you, one night he's a hero, the next he "cost the U.S the gold".
ripleydc



Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Posts: 4545
Location: Washington, DC


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coffy73 wrote:
I rarely watch the nbc primetime coverage, too many stories, too much lochte/phelps. However, I am enjoying their ipad app 'Olympic live extra', so I've been able to see loads of live sports and loved the weightlifting earlier today! They also have tons of replays.

best Olympics 'cause I can bypass the canned processed N"BS" stuff at will and watch live action!


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
People are still watching...must be frustrating as hell to not only try to remain unspoiled as well as trying to find out what's happening in sports where Americans are not involved.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Ratings-Olympics-Opening-Night-1050724.aspx


I doubt they are keeping themselves unspoiled and are watching anyway.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13641
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
I'm so sick of Phelps and he hasn't even won yet.............

Are his ears bigger than his ego?


Serious question, I have followed him for almost 12 years now, I've read 3-4 books he wrote, and I never got the impression he had any ego at all let alone a big ego, what has he done to give you this perception of him

Edited to fix some spelling.

Edited to change to who to what.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!


Last edited by GEF34 on 07/30/12 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Barrister15



Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Posts: 4264
Location: New York, NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
I'm so sick of Phelps and he hasn't even won yet.............

Are his ears bigger than his ego?


Serious question, I have followed him for almost 12 years now, I've read 3-4 books he wrote, and I never got the impression he had any ego at all let along a big ego, who has he done to give you this perception of him?


Phelps always struck me as being humble and in awe of what he's accomplished, and totally acknowledges the role that others (including his family) played in his success.

Lochte seems a litty douchey to me, though.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13641
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:

Phelps always struck me as being humble and in awe of what he's accomplished, and totally acknowledges the role that others (including his family) played in his success.


That's the impression I've had of him as well, he has always been grateful of his family, especially his mom and everything she has done for him, as well as his sisters, but also all of his coaches, mainly Bob Bowman, his many coach, but also all of his teammates, some teammates have even said he is one of the best teammates and most down to earth people they've ever met.

As far as Ryan Lochte goes, I've never gotten that impression, granted I haven't followed him as much or as long as I have followed Michael, but I've gotten the impression he is just motivated and confident in his abilities that he can be the best in the world.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
sbjules



Joined: 22 Dec 2004
Posts: 3476



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:10 pm    ::: Re: NBC IS A WASTE OF F***KING SPACE WITH THEIR COVERAGE Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
If you would like to learn about the athletes outside of the USA, good luck getting it from NBC. They only see RED, WHITE & BLUE!!!! They take out their POM POMS and will spotlight an american bronze medalist over a non-american gold medalist.


I'd be kinda Ok with the "Yeah USA" thing if they were showing us new or unknown Americans but seriously, if I see one more interview with Phelps. or the "Fab Five", I'm gonna scream. They really aren't remotely interesting anymore except for their sports talent.


Oh caune, last night they started talking about the heartbreak of somebody on the fab five & I about threw my shoe at the TV. I did stop myself. I like the basketball, vollyball, (all varieties) and I would like to see womens' water polo because a local is on the team.


Barrister15



Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Posts: 4264
Location: New York, NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
As far as Ryan Lochte goes, I've never gotten that impression, granted I haven't followed him as much or as long as I have followed Michael, but I've gotten the impression he is just motivated and confident in his abilities that he can be the best in the world.


That's the sense I got from an interview they did with him at his home -- maybe he just came off the wrong way. He was in his huge walk-in closet and was talking about the [god awfully tacky] sneakers he designed.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13641
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
As far as Ryan Lochte goes, I've never gotten that impression, granted I haven't followed him as much or as long as I have followed Michael, but I've gotten the impression he is just motivated and confident in his abilities that he can be the best in the world.


That's the sense I got from an interview they did with him at his home -- maybe he just came off the wrong way. He was in his huge walk-in closet and was talking about the [god awfully tacky] sneakers he designed.


Laughing Laughing

Granted I wouldn't buy those shoes to wear, but I've always liked them, they seem to fit him perfectly, he is a fun guy with a big personality.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14443
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
As far as Ryan Lochte goes, I've never gotten that impression, granted I haven't followed him as much or as long as I have followed Michael, but I've gotten the impression he is just motivated and confident in his abilities that he can be the best in the world.


That's the sense I got from an interview they did with him at his home -- maybe he just came off the wrong way. He was in his huge walk-in closet and was talking about the [god awfully tacky] sneakers he designed.


Laughing Laughing

Granted I wouldn't buy those shoes to wear, but I've always liked them, they seem to fit him perfectly, he is a fun guy with a big personality.


Huh. You see fun guy with big personality. I saw giant douchebag.

I hope you are the one that is right.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13641
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
As far as Ryan Lochte goes, I've never gotten that impression, granted I haven't followed him as much or as long as I have followed Michael, but I've gotten the impression he is just motivated and confident in his abilities that he can be the best in the world.


That's the sense I got from an interview they did with him at his home -- maybe he just came off the wrong way. He was in his huge walk-in closet and was talking about the [god awfully tacky] sneakers he designed.


Laughing Laughing

Granted I wouldn't buy those shoes to wear, but I've always liked them, they seem to fit him perfectly, he is a fun guy with a big personality.


Huh. You see fun guy with big personality. I saw giant douchebag.

I hope you are the one that is right.


Are you referring to the shoes or the person?

If you are referring to the person, yes I've followed him for 4-5 years and I've never gotten the impression you've had of him, he does have a big personality, but like I mentioned about Michael he is very grateful for everyone who has supported him, and he does have a big personality, he likes to be "loud" and just go out and have fun.

On a separate note he also dedicated his first gold medal to all of his fans who supported him over the years in his quest for Olympic gold.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49471



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
who has he done to give you this perception of him


Miley Cirus, maybe?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/12 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the commercial break before they showed the tape-delayed Missy Franklin race, the Today Show promo came on to spoil that she had won and would be on the show the next day! So not only do we have to skip twitter and the Web but also blot out all sound completely!


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin