RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Olympics Day 1 - July 28th: Non-USA Matches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/28/12 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:
Sam Richards is the backup PG Confused

Confused because that's the best backup we have, or Confused because you think she should be starting?

I thought MacLeod was the second PG

PostPosted: 07/28/12 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and watching this makes it even more puzzling why Erin Phillips is not on this team. Just stupid. And Graf just does stupid stuff during the game. Incomprehensible.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/28/12 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Confused because that's the best backup we have, or Confused because you think she should be starting?

Macleod hasnt been getting minutes. She hardly played in the pre olympic games. She had a good WNBL season though but Carrie probably goes with international experience so thats Sam. Tbh i like Richards. She is a tough cookie and i almost prefer her over Harrower.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/28/12 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Nah, Kathleen has been picking splinters out of her butt through all the recent friendly series.
Being the newbie I get her being 3rd in line, but I totally don't get her getting so few minutes given the health of Harrower & Richards.

PostPosted: 07/28/12 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
And Graf just does stupid stuff during the game. Incomprehensible.

At least her shoes got good reviews.

PostPosted: 07/28/12 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Nah, Kathleen has been picking splinters out of her butt through all the recent friendly series.
Being the newbie I get her being 3rd in line, but I totally don't get her getting so few minutes given the health of Harrower & Richards.

There was more hype about Kathleen following the WNBL season where she won the Grand Final MVP... & I think that was the reason she was selected. I don't understand why though. Yes she played well but the WNBA is a whole other level! With Kathleen playing so few minutes it just seems more silly to me... wouldn't you take talent & experience over preparation time especially with such few minutes on offer?? Erin was robbed. Sad

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/28/12 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Talk about a horror start for GB! Sad
An Opals 3 point play and a Collins injury within the first 7 seconds

Yes, that was not a good way to start. Collins tried to come back later, but eventually hobbled off again. Was still limping badly when she went back to the locker room after the game. On the bright side - especially for her family, who were sat right behind me - Rachel Vanderwal had her best game ever in a GB vest taking most of Collins's minutes.

Michelle89 wrote:
Lol at that travel from Batkovic before the buzzer shot

There were several of us going rather loudly mental when the refs initially counted that basket. Never beat the buzzer in a million years.

Overall, I'm proud of our effort and performance in a lot of ways, but our offense in deplorable a lot of the time. We just couldn't work out ways to score, and it wasn't really due to great defense - we just don't run anything or have any particularly worthwhile options offensively. That said, the basic fact that LJ's shots fell while Leedham couldn't hit the back side of a barn all night made a huge difference. Admittedly, a lot of that was due to Leedham forcing tough shots while LJ was often pretty open though.

But if you heard someone screaming "Run something else! You've run that 40 times and it's worked none!" that was me. I guarantee that by now, every team in our group has seen the baseline screens we run to try to get the wings open on low cuts under the basket. It's old, and it stops working damn fast if it even works once.

And yes, the crowd was great. Proper GB-centric crowd, willing to scream and shout, but with a smattering of all the other countries to keep things interesting. Best crowd for a women's game I've ever encountered in this country by a mile.

PostPosted: 07/29/12 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Great quote from Lisa Leslie "Lauren Jackson was by far the biggest trash talker I ever played against."

In the Brazil-France game, I also enjoyed AMD crediting the year rika spent in Lisa's presence for turning her into the player she's become. And between LLL joking about how awful Cambage would look in the old Opals unitard and Annie making a blanket stereotype about Brazilians' emotional stability, Carolyn Peck has some stern competition for worst basketball analyst hired by NBC for these Games...

scullyfu

PostPosted: 07/29/12 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

watched the replay of the canada v russia game. wow. what an ending. vintage becky.

PostPosted: 07/29/12 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Great quote from Lisa Leslie "Lauren Jackson was by far the biggest trash talker I ever played against."

In the Brazil-France game, I also enjoyed AMD crediting the year rika spent in Lisa's presence for turning her into the player she's become. And between LLL joking about how awful Cambage would look in the old Opals unitard and Annie making a blanket stereotype about Brazilians' emotional stability, Carolyn Peck has some stern competition for worst basketball analyst hired by NBC for these Games...

i caught those same comments, p_d. after all these years, i'm still amazed. smh

PostPosted: 07/29/12 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Jayda Evans ‏@JaydaEvans

"Lauren Jackson is biggest trash talker I've ever played against...Best way to handle trash-talker is to beat them"~@LisaLeslie #London2012

Laurens reaction on that
Quote:
lauren jackson ‏@laurenej15
@JaydaEvans @LisaLeslie I'm calling bullshit. #enoughalready

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/29/12 6:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LJ and Julie Page slapped hands to say 'no hard feelings' immediately after the ref overreacted and called that double technical last night, by the way.

I'd have been a lot more upset about that silly call - whic fouled Page out - if it was still a contest at that point.

PostPosted: 07/29/12 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ann Meyers and Carolyn Peck -- it's going to be a long two weeks.

I thought Leslie was pretty good, really, except for the Cambage comment.

And speaking of Liz, how exactly do you pronounce her name?

PostPosted: 07/29/12 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Ann Meyers and Carolyn Peck -- it's going to be a long two weeks.

I thought Leslie was pretty good, really, except for the Cambage comment.

cam-beige

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 07/29/12 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Harrower is playing terrible Shocked

She is the same player style wise she has always been...except now she isn't as fast, or as quick with her dribble. The Opals needed Phillips and Penny if they had any chance to beat the Usa.

PostPosted: 07/29/12 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Quote:
Jayda Evans ‏@JaydaEvans

"Lauren Jackson is biggest trash talker I've ever played against...Best way to handle trash-talker is to beat them"~@LisaLeslie #London2012

Laurens reaction on that
Quote:
lauren jackson ‏@laurenej15
@JaydaEvans @LisaLeslie I'm calling bullshit. #enoughalready

She doesn't really "talk trash", per say. She doesn't make a shot and rubb it in her opponent's face. She also doesn't talk to them while playing defense.

She just tells her opponent's to "eff off" if they hack her hard. She doesn't like getting smacked. She yells at the refs too Laughing .

I must admit, her Olympic look is kind of scary. Her hair seemed incredibly bleached, and the lipstick and eyebrows...wow. Intimidating.

PostPosted: 07/29/12 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Vintage AMD. And to add insult to injury, you're missing "Shoo Birds" guy calling the games here. I would imagine with so many former UConn players, the obvious choice would've been Lobo. Which wouldn't hurt either as she's much better than those two.

PostPosted: 07/29/12 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

I must admit, her Olympic look is kind of scary. Her hair seemed incredibly bleached, and the lipstick and eyebrows...wow. Intimidating.

My brother doesn't like her just because he says she 'looks' evil. lol.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/30/12 3:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
JACKOWACKO wrote:

My brother doesn't like her just because he says she 'looks' evil. lol.

Haha on the court she puts her mean face on Twisted Evil

pilight

PostPosted: 06/17/18 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Here's how Cambage herself pronounces it:

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1008447373725454337

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: