RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pat Summitt and 879

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/05 3:58 pm    ::: Pat Summitt and 879 Reply Reply with quote

Pat Summitt is about to pass Dean Smith for wins among NCAA coaches, right? Well, no, she really isn't. Her first 175 wins came before the NCAA took over WCBB from the AIAW. She only has 704 NCAA wins. If we're going to deny Lynette Woodard and the gang their records as players, how can we in good conscience say that the records for coaches from those days count?

PostPosted: 03/22/05 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excellent point, pilight. But, do you think that Summitt will not be able to garner another 175 wins before she finally does leave the coaching ranks?

I agree with your point, especially when it comes to the players...it is all basketball.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/05 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she stays with the Lady Vols she'll be able to accumulate those wins. If she takes the Tennessee men's job or jumps to the WNBA she might not. In any event, the wins aren't in the bank yet.

PostPosted: 03/22/05 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously, why would she even think about coming over to the WNBA after her experience with the Washington organization? To not be in complete control has got to be frustrating for her. I am not sure if it would be a pay cut for Summitt...it would probably be for Geno.

I think it would be very interesting to see her coaching a men's team...at Tennessee or elsewhere in the college ranks.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/22/05 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight, what is the deal with Sue Gunter and her win total? Is it a similar situation to Summitt?

Thanks.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/05 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Pilight, what is the deal with Sue Gunter and her win total? Is it a similar situation to Summitt?

Thanks.

Not exactly. Her two seasons at Middle Tennessee and first four at Stephen F Austin aren't counted because of "uncertainties in record keeping". Basically, not all of the game results are verifiable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: