RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LA Sparks 2005 WNBA Champs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't doubt whether or not Lisa and Chamique can get along. Lisa's not a problem in the lockerroom and from all accounts I've heard from current and former teamates, she's more than you could ever ask for. She may be an arrogant, abrasive, condescending witch to the viewing public, but her teamates love her. If she can deal with Dixon and Mabika, she can deal with Holdsclaw. At this point in her career, Lisa seems willing to defer to her teamates, last year to a fault.

However, the best laid plans have a habit of failing and injuries and discontent can derail any budding dynasty. It's not Mique and Lisa we need to worry about. It's Dixon and Mabika and how their stank ass and piss poor attitudes deal with sliding down the depth chart just when they thought they were heading in the opposite direction. I also don't agree with handing the team over to Henry Bibby but from what I've heard, the Sparks haven't made a concrete decision yet, so there is hope for them still.
BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Think about this...Whitmore's contract comes off the books this year, the Sharks will be able to sign Mique to a multi-year deal, max money. They're gonna be scary-good for a looooong time.

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

a LOT of big egos to placate on that team now, depending on who stays. leslie, dixon, mabika, teasley, whitmore, thomas (if not already, very soon) . . . if someone can point to the bigger picture and keep them focused on it - coach of the year.

setting aside her cheesy knee, how good will sunshine be around middling talent? will she and alana be enough? or even her, alana and some third bright spot?

PostPosted: 03/21/05 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Think about this...Whitmore's contract comes off the books this year, the Sharks will be able to sign Mique to a multi-year deal, max money. They're gonna be scary-good for a looooong time.

No doubt... But I still can't figure out how they stay under the cap with all those stars... Mabika must be playing for the love of the game or something... Shocked

If you want to keep Mique even more happy, just don't stock Jalapeņo Muffins in the locker room Razz According to Helen Luz, she hates those!

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/21/05 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
a LOT of big egos to placate on that team now, depending on who stays. leslie, dixon, mabika, teasley, whitmore, thomas (if not already, very soon) . . . if someone can point to the bigger picture and keep them focused on it - coach of the year.

setting aside her cheesy knee, how good will sunshine be around middling talent? will she and alana be enough? or even her, alana and some third bright spot?

I have to disagree with the learned pilight and say that, if her knee is good, she's going to put up big numbers. She and the Mystics could have a good season. I'm very curious to see how she performs in that situation, whether she's been a star playing a role or, as others have said, she's been made to appear as more than she is by playing with Leslie. I've always thought it was the other way around but I'm happy, at this point, to have my own long held opinions exploded in my face. It's good for me.

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 03/21/05 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 03/21/05 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

Penny and Miko love each other. This contract may be off the books, but I wouldn't be surprised if she re-upped with LA.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/21/05 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
On the other hand... you have to ask yourself how much scoring and rebounding dominance Lisa Leslie has left in her. She might be more ready at this point to pick her spots than she's ready to carry those big numbers night in and night out for the next two or three years. Her numbers last season were right at her career avgs but she has had better seasons, number wise.

The logical response to that would be to acquire someone that can take up the slack and carry the scoring & rebounding load every night, which is what the Sparks did.

As for 4-5 years of dominance, like some people in this thread have been talking about, Lisa Leslie isn't going to be dominating in the middle at age 36-37-38 the way she has been.

PostPosted: 03/21/05 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

No doubt... But I still can't figure out how they stay under the cap with all those stars... Mabika must be playing for the love of the game or something... Shocked

They use every drop of the cap but the Sparks aren't as cash strapped as they seem. It's not like they're stiffing the players. One drives a Range, another drives a Hummer, I've seen a couple of Benzes. Penny uses her powers of persuasion and they all take equal cuts. The Sparks fit under the cap by choice of the players. All it would take is for one to demand more, but for some reason, they don't.
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/21/05 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

They use every drop of the cap but the Sparks aren't as cash strapped as they seem. It's not like they're stiffing the players. One drives a Range, another drives a Hummer, I've seen a couple of Benzes. Penny uses her powers of persuasion and they all take equal cuts. The Sparks fit under the cap by choice of the players. All it would take is for one to demand more, but for some reason, they don't.

So you're saying that LA circumvents the salary cap by compensating the players with cars and other things? Question Is that permissible under the CBA? Shocked

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 03/21/05 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
f_blaze_coalition wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

So you're saying that LA circumvents the salary cap by compensating the players with cars and other things? Question Is that permissible under the CBA? Shocked

No, I'm saying the players aren't hurting for cash. It's kind of hard to complain about taking a paycut, yet you are voluntarily paying the car note on a luxury vehicle for example, not to mention what a Sparks version of Cribs would look like. The Sparks have a roster full of players who make their real money playing overseas, or through endorsements or through investments. Penny also does a good job of selling the opportunity to play on a powerhouse in a pretty laid back atmosphere. I wouldn't be surprised if Penny was massaging the cap, but I see how they can do it legally.
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 03/22/05 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, Mique is Scottie Pippen! Big enough to be a superstar (talented too) but not craving being the #1 go to person! She'll do fine in LA.

BCBG25 wrote:
They are a much better team on paper, but will Mique be happy being second fiddle to Leslie?
That remains to be seen indeed.

suemar

PostPosted: 03/22/05 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well as of this post she (mique and Sparks ) have no coach at all. Bring back Cooper quick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: