RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The field of 64

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/30/06 6:06 pm    ::: The field of 64 Reply Reply with quote

Through games of 1/29/06

Code:
1     Tennessee               Duke                        North Carolina              Connecticut

2     Maryland                Ohio State                  Oklahoma                    LSU

3     Purdue                  Rutgers                     NC State                    Baylor

4     St John's               Arizona State               DePaul                      New Mexico

5     BYU                     Kentucky                    Georgia                     Minnesota

6     Texas                   Virginia Tech               Michigan State              Stanford

7     Indiana State           George Washington           Notre Dame                  Boston College

8     Temple                  TCU                         Old Dominion                Florida

9     Hartford                South Florida               Washington                  Kansas State

10    Miami (FL)              Texas A&M                   Vanderbilt                  Western Kentucky

11    Louisiana Tech          UCLA                        Chattanooga                 Louisville

12    California              Tulsa                       Bowling Green               Virginia

13    Florida International   High Point                  Western Illinois            Wisconsin-GB

14    Dartmouth               Sacred Heart                Stephen F Austin            Tennessee Tech

15    Marist                  Northern Arizona            Long Beach State            Loyola Marymount

16    Coppin State            Southern                    Belmont                     Bucknell

Conferences with multiple bids

ACC 8
BEast 7
SEC 6
B12 5
P10 5
B10 4
MWC 3
A10 2
SunBelt 2

Just missed: USC, Missouri, Utah, Florida State

How did I arrive at this?

Each team receives points for wins:
8 for a win over a top 25 RPI team, 5 for a 26-50, 3 for a 51-100, 2 for a 101-200, 1 for a sub-200, 0 for a non-DI

Then subtract for losses:
1 for a loss to a top 25 RPI team, 2 for a 26-50, 3 for a 51-100, 5 for a 101-200, 8 for a sub-200, 13 for a non-DI

Then subtract the team's RPI rank and half of its conference RPI rank

Let's do an example....

BYU has no wins over top 25 for 0, three over 26-50 for 15, three over 51-100 for 9, six over 101-200 for 12, and five over sub-200 for 5.
That makes 41.
The Cougars' one loss was to a top 25, so that's -1 to make 40.
They have an RPI of 19, so 40 - 19 = 21 and the MWC is #7 in CRPI so we subtract 3.5 to make a grand total of 17.5.
In comparison, the weakest #1 seed, Connecticut, has a grand total of 74. The last at-large team in, California, has a grand total of -28.5

The team RPI penalty is capped at 100. That should only affect the automatic bid teams in the 12-16 seed range.
The lowest RPI team to get an at large this time is California at #52.

In the event of a tie, the total before any RPI modification is used.
If still tied, the total with the team RPI modifier but not the CRPI modifier is used.

Many teams got moved across brackets at the same seed to avoid facing conference opponents too early in the tournament.
Occasionally teams may need to be moved up or down one seed for the same purpose, this projection has two such changes.
Miami (FL) and Louisville each moved up one seed, Louisiana Tech and Virginia each moved down one.

PostPosted: 01/30/06 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I love Rizzotti, I can't see UHartford as a #9 over Vanderbilt, UCLA, California, or Virginia, at a minimum.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/30/06 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
As much as I love Rizzotti, I can't see UHartford as a #9 over Vanderbilt, UCLA, California, or Virginia, at a minimum.

Vanderbilt only two top 50 RPI wins, over Old Dominion and Western Kentucky, and a loss outside the top 100, to Arkansas.

Virginia is 2-5 over their last seven, with two losses to Florida State, one of the few ACC teams not in tournament contention.

California is 3-4 over their last seven, with losses to RPI #91 Oregon and RPI #146 Arizona.

UCLA has some nice wins, but 8 losses including one to RPI #143 UCSB.

PostPosted: 01/30/06 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor USC, tied for second in the Pac-10 and loses out, while 6th place Cal goes to the big dance. Ouch.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/30/06 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depending on how Western Illinois finishes, they could be higher. Maybe a 11th seed.

O.G.

PostPosted: 01/30/06 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RubberTroll wrote:
Poor USC, tied for second in the Pac-10 and loses out, while 6th place Cal goes to the big dance. Ouch.

I have a feeling USC will be in there when all is said and done.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/31/06 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the selection committee convened right now there is absolutely no way, no how Mizzou ain't dancin'.

Heck, they're my darkhorse in the tourney atm.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/31/06 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear you pilight, but if you put them on the court, I don't see Hartford really competing.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/31/06 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does Virginia get in over FSU? I believe FSU is 3-3 in conference play while UVA is 2-5 with a loss to FSU.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/31/06 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
How does Virginia get in over FSU? I believe FSU is 3-3 in conference play while UVA is 2-5 with a loss to FSU.

Better OOC play and one conference win that's better than any of FSU's (RPI-wise). UVA's losses are all to teams within the Top 50 in RPI. Explain FSU's losses to Xavier and Tulsa.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: