RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hot Wiley-Gatewood Rumor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumps

PostPosted: 01/26/06 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
Quote:
SWG never visited North Carolina.

And your source would be?

Quote:
And just because you highly doubt OK turned her down doesn't mean squat...It's just your opinion...

As this was your opinion:
Quote:
Hatchell confirms half of that so I don't doubt that the other half is true too...
But you seemed steadfast in it.

Also, offering a visit means at one point she wanted SWG. The school, not the player, has to ask Tennessee for permission to speak with a transferring player. At one point, Sylvia or someone on her staff did this. That means she wanted her.

I didn't say that she didn't visit NC...IN fact I think I saw her on TV during one of their games...

And the part about Hatchell was not an opinion, it was a fact...She said she didn't recruit her...

Quote:
Interesting comments from Sylvia Hatchell in USA Today on SWG:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2006-01-24-patrick_x.htm

"She's a great open-court point guard," Hatchell says. "She's just a great player. Maryland's already got a lot of great players. ... A lot of times when you add a great player, you take away from some of the other ones.

"We work really hard on the blend of our players and the talent we have at positions. Sometimes you can get too many horses in the barn. ... We already have two commitments (from high school juniors), one from a point, the other a wing who could play point. My No. 1 concern was to honor those commitments. That's why we didn't pursue her and, to be honest, my friendship with Pat (Summitt) had something to do with it."

Yes I am steadfast in what I said...

Grumps

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/26/06 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are missing my point. By scheduling a visit for Wiley-Gatewood to UNC, Sylvia pursued her. In order to talk to SWG, Sylvia or someone at UNC had to ask Tennessee for permission. That implies she wanted her.

Deciding after the visit or after talking to her friend Pat doesn't mean squat.

If she didn't want her, she should have never scheduled a visit.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
Grumps

PostPosted: 01/26/06 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
You are missing my point. By scheduling a visit for Wiley-Gatewood to UNC, Sylvia pursued her. In order to talk to SWG, Sylvia or someone at UNC had to ask Tennessee for permission. That implies she wanted her.
Deciding after the visit or after talking to her friend Pat doesn't mean squat.

If she didn't want her, she should have never scheduled a visit.

No I am not missing the point...In your opinion she wanted her...I am just going by what she was quoted as saying...Which is they didn't pursue her...Maybe Sylvia wasn't impressed with her when she visited...I don't know, you would have to ask Sylvia about that...

Grumps

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/27/06 5:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps, surely you are too smart to believe everything you read in a newspaper???!!!

Joey Nations is correct. If the only way that SWG could have a visit at UNC was to have been invited, then there's no way that Hatchell didn't have *some* interest in at least considering her. If Hatchell's friendship with Pat Summitt and her "commitment" to other recruits precluded taking on SWG, there was NO REASON for Hatchell to have invited SWG for a visit.

On top of that, the "friendship" with Summitt excuse sounds like a lot of post hoc B.S. Once SWG decided to leave Tenn, she had to enroll somewhere. It's not like Hatchell or any other coach lured her out of Tenn, so a "friendship" with Summitt is not a reason not to take her on (particularly since UNC doesn't play in the SEC). Surely Pat didn't expect SWG not to finish college when she left Tenn.

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/27/06 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Grumps, surely you are too smart to believe everything you read in a newspaper???!!!

No I don't believe everything I read in the paper, but I also don't believe biased opinions on message boards either...

Do you work at the White House? Laughing

Grumps

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/27/06 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bias? Joey Nations merely made the factual point (with which I agree) that if Sylvia Hatchell were telling the truth about the two reasons she gave to USA Today for not wanting SWG -- friendship with Pat and prior commitments to recruits -- both were known when SWG left Tenn and there would have been NO REASON for Hetchell to have invited SWG for a visit.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/27/06 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Courtside for the support, but Tennessee fans are never wrong.

We're already 1-0 with Sa'de on the bench.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
Grumps

PostPosted: 01/27/06 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
Quote:
SWG never visited North Carolina.

And your source would be?

Quote:
And just because you highly doubt OK turned her down doesn't mean squat...It's just your opinion...

As this was your opinion:
Quote:
Hatchell confirms half of that so I don't doubt that the other half is true too...
But you seemed steadfast in it.

Also, offering a visit means at one point she wanted SWG. The school, not the player, has to ask Tennessee for permission to speak with a transferring player. At one point, Sylvia or someone on her staff did this. That means she wanted her.

Not according to the following from the NCAA website...

Quote:
Know when you need to get
permission to talk to another
school
Generally, if you’re now going full-time to a
four-year school and you want to transfer to
an NCAA school to play, your current
school’s athletics director must give written
permission to the new coach or member of
the athletics staff before you or your parents
can talk with one of them. That’s called
having a permission-to-contact letter.
You may write to any NCAA college saying
that you’re interested in transferring, but the
new coach must not discuss transfer
opportunities with you unless he or she has
received written permission from your
current school.

Grumps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: