RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The field of 64

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/23/06 8:05 pm    ::: The field of 64 Reply Reply with quote

Code:
Through games of 1/22/06

1     Tennessee               Duke                        North Carolina              Connecticut

2     Purdue                  Oklahoma                    DePaul                      LSU

3     Rutgers                 NC State                    Ohio State                  New Mexico

4     Maryland                St John's                   Baylor                      Virginia Tech

5     Texas                   Arizona State               Notre Dame                  Kentucky

6     Florida                 Minnesota                   BYU                         Stanford

7     Temple                  George Washington           Virginia                    Michigan State

8     Washington              Indiana State               Georgia                     USC

9     Louisville              Texas A&M                   Utah                        Old Dominion

10    TCU                     Vanderbilt                  Hartford                    Boston College

11    Stony Brook             South Florida               Western Kentucky            Marquette

12    Bowling Green           Louisiana Tech              California                  Chattanooga

13    Liberty                 Tulsa                       Tennessee Tech              Western Illinois

14    Sacred Heart            Montana                     Wisconsin-GB                Texas Arlington

15    Dartmouth               Marist                      Long Beach State            Loyola Marymount

16    Coppin State            Southern                    East Tennessee State        Bucknell

Conferences with multiple bids

BEast 8
ACC 7
SEC 6
P10 5
B10 4
B12 4
MWC 4
A10 2
AEast 2

Just missed: Kansas State, Miami (FL), Villanova, Missouri

How did I arrive at this?

Each team receives points for wins:
8 for a win over a top 25 RPI team, 5 for a 26-50, 3 for a 51-100, 2 for a 101-200, 1 for a sub-200, 0 for a non-DI

Then subtract for losses:
1 for a loss to a top 25 RPI team, 2 for a 26-50, 3 for a 51-100, 5 for a 101-200, 8 for a sub-200, 13 for a non-DI

Then subtract the team's RPI rank and half of its conference RPI rank

Let's do an example....

Maryland has no wins over top 25 for 0, three over 26-50 for 15, two over 51-100 for 6, three over 101-200 for 6, and eight over sub-200 for 8.
That makes 35.
The Terps two losses were both to top 25s, so that's -2 to make 33
They have an RPI of 18, so 33 - 18 = 15 and the ACC is #1 in CRPI so we subtract .5 to make a grand total of 14.5.
In comparison, the weakest #1 seed, Connecticut, has a grand total of 62. The last at-large team in, California, has a grand total of -30.5

The team RPI penalty is capped at 100. That should only affect the automatic bid teams in the 12-16 seed range.
The lowest RPI team to get an at large this time is Marquette at #52.

In the event of a tie, the total before any RPI modification is used.
If still tied, the total with the team RPI modifier but not the CRPI modifier is used.

Many teams got moved across brackets at the same seed to avoid facing conference opponents too early in the tournament.
Occasionally teams may need to be moved up or down one seed for the same purpose, this projection has only one such change.
Boston College got bumped down from a #9 to #10, Louisville got bumped up from a #10 to #9.

PostPosted: 01/23/06 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks good, made me think:

there are only 4 1st-2nd round hosts who make it per this projection (unless I have the hosts wrong... in- Depaul, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Old Dominion, out- Penn State, Colorado, Arizona, Rider (RPI#310!!))

In the pre-selected host era what is the smallest number of hosts to make it?

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 01/23/06 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, America East with 2 bids. The last time that happened was when Maine was actually good. Back before 4 teams left the conference. But I would like to see it happen for the conference.

liveitup!

PostPosted: 01/24/06 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm getting excited about the Final Four already! Anyone from the board planning to be in Boston for it? I'd be happy to arrange some sort of way to get together!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/24/06 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

liveitup! wrote:
I'm getting excited about the Final Four already! Anyone from the board planning to be in Boston for it? I'd be happy to arrange some sort of way to get together!

Now that's a region. Tennessee, Purdue, Rutgers and Maryland all in the same region as Top 10 teams.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/24/06 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

liveitup! wrote:

we're going to see; we didn't get tix, but.... Wink

gpark33

PostPosted: 01/24/06 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
liveitup! wrote:

we're going to see; we didn't get tix, but.... Wink

I'm also going but don't have tix...yet.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/24/06 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

liveitup! wrote:

I might go depnding on work and $.

It'll be sort of a lsat minute decision.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/24/06 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love this bracket. *big dorky St. John's/Rutgers fan grin*

PostPosted: 01/24/06 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If St. John's keeps rising the way they have been, Rutgers and UConn are going to have to work extra hard to get the NY/NJ players.

I'm so happy for St. John's. I don't like the men's team, but I will always cheer for the women's team.

pilight's 4 #1 seeds are the top 4 in the current coaches poll. Hmm.

Mphswnbafan

PostPosted: 01/24/06 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New to the board, glad my friend turned me on to this. I will be in Boston and have tickets! Very Happy

I noticed from earlier posts that there are several members who have women's BB memorbilia in thier offices! I'm glad to have company in that department. I have free reign at my office, but have to compromise with the partner at home.

Opps. Newbee mistake...forgot I moved on to another topic when I responded to posts in another topic.

giraffespots

PostPosted: 01/25/06 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mphswnbafan wrote:
New to the board, glad my friend turned me on to this. I will be in Boston and have tickets! Very Happy

Welcome newbee! I'm a newbee too.

As far as the brackets go, why does Rutgers and Temple always have to be in the same regional?

PostPosted: 01/25/06 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

giraffespots wrote:
As far as the brackets go, why does Rutgers and Temple always have to be in the same regional?

I, for one, wouldn't mind if Temple and Rutgers were in the same region this year (like last year). Their battles as of late have been competitive.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/25/06 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RainDevil and I are going to the Regionals, wherever Duke plays. See, the women's game has sellouts at the Final Four, but not the Regionals. So, we decided it would be best to do what we can to improve attendance for the 16 and 8 games.

O.G.

PostPosted: 01/25/06 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
RainDevil and I are going to the Regionals, wherever Duke plays. See, the women's game has sellouts at the Final Four, but not the Regionals. So, we decided it would be best to do what we can to improve attendance for the 16 and 8 games.

Right on. I'm heading for Cleveland.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: