RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Recruiting: How young is too young?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 01/24/06 5:47 am    ::: Recruiting: How young is too young? Reply Reply with quote

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060124/SPORTS080202/601240376/1019/SPORTS08

"Right now, I have my favorite 10 sophomores and favorite 10 freshmen in America in a list," Iowa coach Lisa Bluder said. "I never used to do that." And it might happen in Iowa more than other states, Iowa State's Bill Fennelly said. Fennelly, the Cyclones' coach, said the trend in his state exists because there are four competitive Division I universities chasing a relatively small pool of players.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/24/06 6:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Soon coaches will be going over birth records...."Oooh, she's 28 inches, we gotta get a commitment from her".

PostPosted: 01/24/06 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just remember: [Sa'de] Wiley-Gatewood committed to Tennessee [on] entering the ninth grade.

http://utladyvols.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111303aaa.html

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/24/06 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Just remember: [Sa'de] Wiley-Gatewood committed to Tennessee [on] entering the ninth grade.

Ta'Shia Phillips committed to Purdue in ninth grade as well.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 01/24/06 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This trend may not simply be about greater competition in women's college sports. It may also be about the growing importance and increased cost of college. More and more, kids and their parents realize the kids need college, not just to get ahead, but to have an real chance of keeping up. And college is way expensive these days. So if you're a high school sophomore and you show enough promise for a University of Iowa or an Iowa State to drop a ride in your lap, you take it. You take it an breathe a sigh of relief that one big decision has been made and it's not gonna send your family to the poorhouse.

I think the trend for earlier commitments also provides evidence for what I have said all along: In wcbb, winning games may not be the paramount goal or the gauge by which coaches are measured. In wcbb, it seems that many program have other priorities, such as building community and citizenship and providing athletic and academic opportunity. So a school like Iowa- which always appears competitive and well-coached, but rarely boasts a top talent- may be making offers to promising in-state athletes as means of advancing its broader mission.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: 01/24/06 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Soon coaches will be going over birth records...."Oooh, she's 28 inches, we gotta get a commitment from her".

Maybe coaches will be researching lineages soon. Especially with women ballers getting into the second and third generation now.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/24/06 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"The models get any younger Pats they'll be chucking fetuses down the catwalk."

- Magda (to Patsy on Absolutely Fabulous)

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/24/06 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
"The models get any younger Pats they'll be chucking fetuses down the catwalk."

- Magda (to Patsy on Absolutely Fabulous)

Hahaha I was thinking of using that quote but was going to rework it into something more relevant Wink
Taciturnus

PostPosted: 01/24/06 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

Wow. A decision made in the ninth grade didn't work out. That's amazing.

This episode alone ought to show us all the self-deception (by all parties) involved in assuming that children are prepared to make adult decisions.

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/24/06 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

Don't you mean her dad committed to Tennessee when she was in ninth grade? Wink
Sass

PostPosted: 01/25/06 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're a smart college coach, you should most def have a favorite freshmen and sophomore list. NCAA rules prohibit talking to players until July 1 of the summer before their senior year. Early committments like Sade's aren't the norm.

From the title of this thread, I thought someone was being hunted down in the sixth grade. Ninth and tenth - that's high school and fair game.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: