RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#6 Maryland @ Virginia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/20/06 7:57 pm    ::: #6 Maryland @ Virginia Reply Reply with quote

38-33 Terps at the half

Maryland: 5 3-pointers
Virginia: 4-10 FT

Langhorne: 2 fouls
Zoll: 10 pts (2 3-pointers)

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/20/06 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overtime! Very Happy

Mathies to LA 2013
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/20/06 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's give it up for the freshman Toliver and Coleman hitting 3 pts and free throws Very Happy What's was up with Doron on the bench Shocked Maryland played 2 freshmen and 3 sophomores for a good part of the game.

styxfan22

PostPosted: 01/20/06 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MD and GW win on th same day -- beautiful!

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/20/06 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
What's was up with Doron on the bench

She's been in a slump since at least the game at George Mason just before Xmas. She played pretty badly this past Monday against Florida State and seemed pretty distraught after the game. Maybe she's trying too hard right now....

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/20/06 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good win for Maryland and their young players (namely Toliver, Coleman, and Langhorne). You gotta admit, though, that Virginia's youngsters (Zoll, Littles) aren't too shabby! The game was a heartbreaker for sure. Sad Damn those 0.6 seconds! Evil or Very Mad

Regardless of the outcome, I think Virginia has officially sent a message out to Maryland and the rest of the ACC: there is NO such thing as an easy win! Hoos looking for revenge on Feb. 5! Smile

Mathies to LA 2013
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/20/06 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Good win for Maryland and their young players (namely Toliver, Coleman, and Langhorne). You gotta admit, though, that Virginia's youngsters (Zoll, Littles) aren't too shabby! The game was a heartbreaker for sure. Sad Damn those 0.6 seconds! Evil or Very Mad

Regardless of the outcome, I think Virginia has officially sent a message out to Maryland and the rest of the ACC: there is NO such thing as an easy win! Hoos looking for revenge on Feb. 5! Smile

Is the Feb 5 game televised?

How much better would it look for my Gophers if UVa had beaten Maryland?

O.G.

PostPosted: 01/20/06 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My my ... Maryland squeaks one out! Maybe those crazy Virginia fans really are on to something after all ... Wink

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/20/06 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Is the Feb 5 game televised?

How much better would it look for my Gophers if UVa had beaten Maryland?

No, but it is available via webcast through Maryland's athletic site.

Had Virginia beaten Maryland, Minnesota's RPI would've gotten somewhat of a boost since (1) Maryland's RPI is higher than UVA's and (2) UVA's RPI WAS higher than Minnesota's RPI prior to the loss.

Quote:
My my ... Maryland squeaks one out! Maybe those crazy Virginia fans really are on to something after all ...

Those scrappy UVA kids made Brenda Frese sweat bullets for 40 minutes. I wouldn't sleep on Virginia at all. They've got more upsets to dish out this season. I really enjoy cheering for this Virginia team. Nothing beats pulling for the underdog! Smile

Mathies to LA 2013
ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/21/06 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Those scrappy UVA kids made Brenda Frese sweat bullets for 40 minutes. I wouldn't sleep on Virginia at all. They've got more upsets to dish out this season. Smile

yes, UVA is scrappy, talented and very well-coached. that makes them dangerous.

but in the end it was the scrappy UMD kids who saved the terps from the upset...in the OT brenda used an all Frosh & Soph line-up! and those young 'uns used the last 5 minutes to make a statement.

congrats to Kristi Tolliver on her first double double!

and BTW, until last nite MD hadn't won on UVA's floor in 14 years!!! Shocked It wasn't pretty but it was a win...congrats to terps for breaking the jinx.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
yes, UVA is scrappy, talented and very well-coached. that makes them dangerous.

but in the end it was the scrappy UMD kids who saved the terps from the upset...in the OT brenda used an all Frosh & Soph line-up! and those young 'uns used the last 5 minutes to make a statement.

congrats to Kristi Tolliver on her first double double!

and BTW, until last nite MD hadn't won on UVA's floor in 14 years!!! Shocked It wasn't pretty but it was a win...congrats to terps for breaking the jinx.

I wonder about that sometimes. I like Debbie Ryan, but it seems to me that she made the most hairbrain call ever this year. Why call a timeout when Sharneé Zoll, one of the best lane penetrators in the ACC/nation, has the ball in her hands with 6.4 seconds left? First off, she'd been blowing by Toliver all game. Second, she had Lyndra Littles off to her left. Third, there were rebounders. But Debbie calls time-out. The fuck gives?

Furthermore, June Courteau and Sally Bell really suck at officiating. Virginia ball with 0.6 seconds remaining but you want to go to overtime. The fuck gives?

Maryland played well in the OT period, so congrats to each of their young players for getting the job done.

I was aware of the "jinx" but could care less at the time (and still do). Virginia was out to make a statement this game, and they came up short for some reasons beyond their control (idiot refs, hairbrain call by coach) and some within their grasp (free throw shooting, three-point defense). Sucks because you don't get performances like the one freshman Abby Robertson gave last night. She's really developing into a talent in the post.

This was Virginia's game. Anybody who doesn't see that must not've watched the same game I watched. You have Zoll, the third-best PG in the ACC and former teammates of Coleman (U-19), Harper (AAU), and Langhorne (AAU, U-19), running the show KNOWING all what she knows about the Terp personnel yet you can't stop Langhorne (a lefty, BTW) at the end of regulation/OT. Ridiculous.

Mathies to LA 2013
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/21/06 12:15 pm    ::: A couple of points Reply Reply with quote

That was Toliver's second double-double of the year. She had one at the beginning of december I think.

On that last play of regulation, I think Zoll called the timeout. You are right that the play was designed for Zoll to drive the lane on Toliver, but Zoll kept dribbling and dribbling the clock down and before you knew it there was 6 seconds left and she had to dribble past Toliver (who I might add also was able to drive past Zoll most of the night) but also saw Harper and Langhorne waiting for her underneath.

I question the play out of the TO, why take the ball out of your best ball handler's hands by having her inbound the ball. By the time she gets the ball back she's going to have to rush a shot.

The refs weren't that great, but better then some of the other games this year. Virginia got a gift on that shot clock violation. There was a 2.4 second difference between the shot clock and game clock so more than .6 should have been put on the clock.

Had you guys gotten the ball back, chances are the Terps would have fouled immediately because they had a foul to give.

I think Virginia was very lucky to be in that game. The Terps had a ton of mental mistakes including giving up 5 fast break opportunities and then adjusting to playing 15 minutes with a line up they hadn't used that much. I give Virginia credit because they played tough defensively and kept Lang off the boards for the most part, but you guys rely too much on Zoll trying to take her man off the dribble and creating. It slows your offense down and takes them out of rhythm.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations, you bring up some excellent points in your post.

First off, I'd like to congratulate Kristi Toliver on her second dub of the season! That young woman is immensely talented. Would've loved to see her in orange and blue, but she's doing just fine in a Terps uni.

Not sure what Zoll was thinking on that last play. All she had to do was dribble-drive and kick to Littles on the baseline. I do think, though, that she was concerned about having the scoring option (Littles) taken away from her and didn't want anything to do with taking that last shot. That's not like her at all; this woman exudes confidence (as I can tell from her on-the-court swagger).

Zoll probably inbounded because (1) she's the surest passer Virginia's got and (2) she didn't want anything to do with that last shot. So Sardin, a senior, takes the ball on the drive and has a pretty good look at a floater. However, she pushes the ball wide right and the shot clock expires. I can't argue with Sardin's shot selection so much as I question Zoll not dribble-driving during that final possession.

You're right about the 0.6 second issue. I looked at the game again and saw that Maryland should've had more time.

Keeping Maryland off the boards was the main focus for this game. It worked to some point. However, those 3-pointers killed Virginia in the end. You can't give up that many threes and expect to beat anyone.

The pick and Zoll is Virginia's signature offensive set. It takes her into the lane and opens up the shooters (at the corners and short corners). Virginia needs that in order to win games. There's no real go-to player on this team (Sardin's close).

Mathies to LA 2013
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/21/06 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"This was Virginia's game. "

Well, obviously, it wasn't! Smile

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
"This was Virginia's game. "

Well, obviously, it wasn't! Smile

Fair enough. They'll get the Terps on the rematch. Smile

Mathies to LA 2013
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/21/06 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
However, those 3-pointers killed Virginia in the end. You can't give up that many threes and expect to beat anyone.

3-point shooting is a key reason for the 16-2 start. It also helped that Virginia let us shoot at the friendly rims in the second half. Shouldn't the Mascot or staff tighten those things because we got a ton of lucky bounces.

I agree you are missing one more explosive player to complement Zoll. When she came out on fire to start the game, I thought we were in for a long night. Littles is going to be a good one, but she was too far away on that final play to make a difference.

I was disappointed Granberry didn't have more of an impact. I know she's one of your shooters, but isn't she also supposed to be the slasher which McGuire can't do?

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3-point shooting defense is the reason why Virginia's 0-2 at home in the ACC this season. Billie McDowell and her NC State crew did a number on the 'Hoos last Friday.

Virginia has Monica Wright, who will hopefully be a McDonald's AA this year, coming in from the state of Virginia. She's supposed to be the most athletic wing player to play at UVA (slashes well), so next year will look good for the 'Hoos. She will complement Zoll well. Couple those two with Littles, Williams, and Robertson and that's a nice nucleus right there. Add in Granberry, Kenion, and McGuire and you've got a nice guard rotation. This team will be ranked next season and should do damage in the ACC then as well. The current team can still do damage in the ACC so long as Zoll penetrates and Littles, Sardin, Williams, McGuire, and Granberry make buckets.

I'm unsure why Granberry played Houdini last night after her spectacular performance versus Virginia Tech. Hopefully she'll show up next week v. Miami and BC and for the rest of the season. I wouldn't call her a shooter, but she is a scorer/slasher. Brenna is capable of slashing this season but lacks the upper body strength to finish off her drives.

Mathies to LA 2013
ridor

PostPosted: 01/23/06 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i got a friend who is md alumni -- he has this box up in comcast center -- i was invited -- ofc, i'm gonna be there.

i'll gloat when uva routed umd at comcast like always.

r-

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/23/06 6:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
i got a friend who is md alumni -- he has this box up in comcast center -- i was invited -- ofc, i'm gonna be there.

i'll gloat when uva routed umd at comcast like always.

r-

I'm having trouble with your tenses, but even more with your facts:

Comcast Center, January 20, 2005, MD 63, UVA 60

Comcast Center, January 4, 2004, MD 69, UVA 55. (That game was particularly memorable, since MD was up at the half 34-12. Wonder if that was UVA's lowest first half ever... [MD just cruised in after that.])

http://umterps.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2004-2005/wmd0120.html

http://umterps.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/010404aaa.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: