RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lauren Jackson Wanted to Retire in 2004

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/17/05 3:23 pm    ::: Lauren Jackson Wanted to Retire in 2004 Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
When I was in the middle of the break, and not even having to worry about practice, I was loving it. Sitting on my bum

“It’s huge” Donovan said.

After the end of last season, I came home (to Australia) and told my mom I wanted to retire. It was such a long year. I felt like, ‘Why do I need to play anymore? I just want to spend time with my family.’

“It was such an incredible experience,” Jackson said about winning the title. “The best of my career. But I was just really tired. When someone gets that much thrown at them, it can be overwhelming.

“But now I’m ready for this year.”

“We knew coming into this season we would have nine free agents,” said Storm coach Anne Donovan, who arrives in Seattle for the season Thursday. “But I underestimated the scope of (losing players). At the end of last season I thought we would likely lose a starter – not two.”

Thanks to the salary cap, the Storm has lost starters Sherri Sam – an unrestricted free agent who signed with Charlotte – and Kamila Vodichkova, a restricted free agent who had been with the team since its inaugural season in 2000. The Storm failed to match Phoenix’s 10-day offer sheet to Vodichkova last week. Backup Tully Bevilaqua is also gone, having signed with Indiana last month.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/storm/story/4685406p-4336886c.html

Looks like thanks to the salary cap the newspaper also lost their editor! Shocked

Sherri Sam Question
    Suzy Tatkovic Question

Quote:
Lauren Jackson hasn’t played competitive basketball since she was cutting down nets and attending rallies after the Seattle Storm won the 2004 WNBA championship.

They cut down the net? Shocked Must have missed that ceremony... Confused

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/17/05 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they did cut down the net, like they do in college, in Seattle last year. I am not positive, but I think I remember seeing a picture of AD with the net.

LJ retiring at the age of 23 years would have been very, very sad for this basketball fan. Having said that, I can appreciate her state of mind with all she had gone through in the preceeding 18-24 months. Lots of injury issues, considered nagging and then major and back to nagging again. Not being able to be with her family during the passing of her grandmother had to be especially difficult. I have to think she felt so helpless during that time and with the Storm entering the playoffs they had worked so hard to make, there was a great deal of pressure on her to perform, when she would have preferred to be home in Australia with her family.

But the woman is a trooper and the best I might ever see play the game. So, thank you Loz, for loving the game of basketball as much as we fans love watching you play.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/17/05 4:17 pm    ::: Re: Lauren Jackson Wanted to Retire in 2004 Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:

Looks like thanks to the salary cap the newspaper also lost their editor! Shocked

Sherri Sam Question
    Suzy Tatkovic Question

You're complaining about the editing after your piece of work?

Quote:
When I was in the middle of the break, and not even having to worry about practice, I was loving it. Sitting on my bum

“It’s huge” Donovan said.

Oh please Rolling Eyes

As for the article, I think LJ talks about retiring every couple of years. A bit of time off and she comes back invigorated.
wadethered

PostPosted: 03/18/05 3:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it just me, or is anyone really excited by the fact that this season will be the first in a long time (including her MVP season) that LJ will be completely healthy?

EXCITING!

ageckogirl

PostPosted: 03/18/05 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
Is it just me, or is anyone really excited by the fact that this season will be the first in a long time (including her MVP season) that LJ will be completely healthy?

EXCITING!

You are not the only one Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The Blimp

PostPosted: 03/20/05 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:

But the woman is a trooper and the best I might ever see play the game. So, thank you Loz, for loving the game of basketball as much as we fans love watching you play.

Oh yes, and so say all of us! So far no shin soreness and freedom of movement in the ankle.

Mmmmm, beware the return of the Queen of the Jungle!
Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: